Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
141 - 159 of 159 Posts

· Registered
1,601 Posts
when my first chain wore out at 21000mi, I switched to 16/44 for the lower highway RPMs and better gas milage. well my highway ride is only 15-20min each way, and the mpg isnt any better so I am sorta sick of too high gearing, IMO the sv was never designed to use gearing this high and it doesnt work better. notice on the new sv's they use 46 and 47t rears..... probably a reason for that. so I have to change my chain again since it sat for so long and red puffs were on it and it wont stay tensioned all that well, plus last time I checked the tension I pushed up on the chain with a finger and got a circular shard of metal in my finger. scarey. current setup has only about 10kmi on it so I may just change out the front sprocket and chain since a buddy will give me a wicked deal.
my plan for new gearing.... 14/44 which works out to 3.14 ratio, which is just a bit lower than the stock naked for my year, and should be a vast improvement from the 2.75 of 16/44

· SV Hadder
16,815 Posts
i got 5600 miles on my bike, should i change the chain and front sprocket?
well here's the rub. sprockets and chains wear together. when you introduce a new item to the mix it can accelerate the wear on the new item, the old ones, or possibly even both.

it's a cost versus benefit thing. If losing a few thousand miles of chain life is worth having a little better acceleration, then go for it.

· Registered
885 Posts
I am running a 16/44 525 set up. all steal.

my bike is not a dedicated track bike. I commute on it and hit the twisty's when I can. so I do not need to get the the next stop light at 50mph on one weal.

but I am not saying that this setup has no power. I can still do a power up in first like any V-twin. I just do not feel that I need to be in third gear to go 25 mph.

I feel that this set up just spreads the shifting out. softens the jerky quality's of this bike.

also you do not need to be quite as hard on the bike. to get it to the speed you want it. I am doing 80mph at 5.5 rpms.

· Registered
1,601 Posts
I am running a 16/44 525 set up. all steal.

my bike is not a dedicated track bike. I commute on it and hit the twisty's when I can. so I do not need to get the the next stop light at 50mph on one weal.

but I am not saying that this setup has no power. I can still do a power up in first like any V-twin. I just do not feel that I need to be in third gear to go 25 mph.

I feel that this set up just spreads the shifting out. softens the jerky quality's of this bike.

also you do not need to be quite as hard on the bike. to get it to the speed you want it. I am doing 80mph at 5.5 rpms.
80mph on the speedo is 5.5k, 80mph REAL world is 6k

· Registered
97 Posts
15/47... only have on weekend on this set up but I had a passenger some of the time and it pulled nicely when I was in too high of a gear. Didn't rev out of control. Actually I could barely tell there was a difference but I could tell.

· Registered
1,601 Posts
so 16/44 would be less acceleration and more top end?
I dont think the engine could push you faster, it wouldnt have the power to overcome the wind, just like 5th gear stock is faster than 6th....
though in 5th you might get 1 or 2mph more. definately not worth the everyday tradeoffs

· Registered
1,222 Posts
I don't think we're talking about trying to push the utter top-end out of the bike (where it's a contest of hp vs wind resistance), but more just bringing down the rpm's at something closer to legal highway speeds.

· Registered
1,601 Posts
I don't think we're talking about trying to push the utter top-end out of the bike (where it's a contest of hp vs wind resistance), but more just bringing down the rpm's at something closer to legal highway speeds.
yeah, and it does that, but I would use a 45 or 46t rear with a 16t front, the 44t rear is just a bit too long legged in my experiance

· Registered
1 Posts
Do not worry about top speed... How often do you actually ride at top speed? I have ridden my SV650 on 6th gear at red line. But soon you find yourself backing off because you do not want to burn the motor... Besides, it is hell of fun to take off doing a wheelie into 3rd gear... I have a friend with a CBR954RR and he does not know how to launch off a stop. From light to light, I smoke him so bad off the start, that he does not even give it a try. ...Then he passes me doing like 140mph. But acceleration wise, the SV650 has very good take off speed!!! As far as the 525 chain lasting longer than the 520 chain is bogus. The chain will have a long life if you clean it/oil it regularly, (200-300 miles) have proper slack and is properly aliened. I had 525 DID Pro Chain last me 6-7K miles because it was too tight... Right now, I have 520 RK XW chain with over 14K hard miles. I do not commute, I only ride on weekends, canyons and track days. If you get aluminum sprockets get the hard anodized. They are worth the money!!! Luis. [/COTIZAR] Can I know which combination you use for this? Thats what I looking for it. (In addition, it's a lot of fun to take off making a horse in the third gear)

141 - 159 of 159 Posts