Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
121 - 140 of 159 Posts

· Registered
5,751 Posts
Ok so someone who likes the "get up and go" but does his fair share of hwy riding, I like the 15/47. I was gonna go 48, but the 47 seems to be the best for that little extra umph. Any agree/disagree?
I am wanting to do the same thing for my track day rear f3 rim and I was wondering if my stock chain will accommodate a 47t sprocket.

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Couple questions for the short gearing guys;

1.on long sweepers, are you red lining on corner exit or up shifting mid turn?

2.on corner entry, do you notice the rear wheel locking up while engine braking or when releasing the clutch near the apex?

3.on corner exit, does the bike squat and run wide, or do you compensate by increasing the swing arm angle or rear compression?

4.on the straights, do you make up for the lack of top speed by getting there faster, or does the extra shifting negate that.

I have never geared mine past 15/45 and am wondering about the not so obvious consequences of extreme gearing.
1. usually shift midturn
2. yes engine breaking is more ruff with higher gearing
3. dont understand
4. YES, gets up faster, but lower top end...

So 15/48 sounds optimal. Wheelies easier?
much easier...

Ok so someone who likes the "get up and go" but does his fair share of hwy riding, I like the 15/47. I was gonna go 48, but the 47 seems to be the best for that little extra umph. Any agree/disagree?
yea, 15/47 is perfect... wouldnt go higher nor lower, its just perfect !

i got 15/47 now and locks at 215km/[email protected] wanna try to get ahold of a gps to see how much im really going at !

but its much more fun with higher gearing ! would never go back with stock !

· Registered
101 Posts
Is it easier to go 14/15 (stock rear) or keep the 15 and do a 15/47? From a mechanics POV what is easier to switch on the fly?
Well dropping the front 1 tooth, is like adding 3 in the rear. Keep that in mind.

Changing the front sprocket is easier to do on the fly. Remove your clutch cover, unbolt the clutch push, get a 32mm socket, take the old off, put on the new. Simple as that. Plus, if you dont like the drastic change, you can just switch back to your 15. Not as easy to do with the rear. Oh and the front sprockets are considerably cheaper. ;D

· Registered
2,757 Posts
15/47 - I've tried a couple variations, and this seems to be the best for me.
Pulls harder, and I don't care that much about top speed.

I do have the 520 chain, only because I have a GSXR rear. I may go back 525 if I feel like traking down a good sprocket set. However, my sprocket is lasting plenty long - chain oiler FTW. I can't recommend that little accessory enough.

· Registered
101 Posts
but its still better to add on the rear because when u put a smaller one up front ur chain will rub lot more on the thing on teh swingarm...
That happened with my stock set up as it was. Its inevitable. His question was what is easier to do "On the fly". Would you say taking your rear wheel off and changing out the sprocket then aligning the wheel, chain, and sprocket would be easier than just taking the front sprocket off and swapping it out in 10 minuets?? I dont know about you, but it isnt IMO. :p

· Registered
5,796 Posts
.02 worth of points

1. I've been on a 15/47 520 setup with an AFAM rear aluminum sprocket for about 12k miles. I'm just now considering replacing the chain and sprockets and haven't decided what gearing to go with. I really like the 15/47 because I can do rolling burnouts in 1st gear and sometimes second (depends on the road surface) - I rarely wheelie.

2. I took my bike to the drag strip a few times and ran a best of [email protected] and realized 1st gear was nearly unusable. I even considered launching in 2nd. Instead, I think I'd rather go with taller (stock) gearing and be able to use 1st gear and the torque of the SV for quite a bit longer in each of my lower gears.

3. The 15/47 is fun, but I still remember the feeling of having to shift too often after installing it.

4. Changing the gearing by messing with sprockets: going with shorter gearing means you're more likely to get caught in the middle of a turn and needing to shift (not a big deal once you learn how but it's not ideal) whereas taller gearing provides a greater probability you'll be in the correct gear.

In the end, it's highly subjective - perhaps you realized this by the time you got to my post: #131

I'll second the whispered point that taller gearing does not necessarily net a higher speed than shorter gearing. In the case of a stock SV, that may be the case; but, as someone mentioned, it is often the case in cars and motorcycles that kicking it to the second highest gear (non-overdrive in some cases) will put the engine back in the powerband to push it to faster speeds than the tallest gear could when past the powerband.

· Registered
79 Posts
It's also time for me to change my 03 sv650s drive system. My question is will I have problems going to a 15/47 than a 15/44 stock with my rear hugger? Will the sprocket be to big and make the chain touch the hugger chain guard?

· Registered
426 Posts
ok so ive read through this thread and it seems like the 15/47 is the best all around setup, im feeling like i want a little more umph from my bike, since it looks like ill have to wait a year before i get a new bike, i commute on my bike and hit the mountain roads frequently, so is a 15/47 the best for me? what all is involved? new chain?

· Registered
1,601 Posts
I need to replace my worn stock setup, (15/45 525) I want to go up to a 16 in front for MPG gains, and maybe lose a tooth in the rear. What brand chain and sprocket do you recommend for improved longevity? should I look for a different thread somewhere on here? (i have not mastered the thread searching here)
I am running this and dont like it, its lower at speed, but feels like the motor is trying harder, and its way less immediate with its power. I am commuting and dont want it anymore

· SV Hadder
16,815 Posts
ok so ive read through this thread and it seems like the 15/47 is the best all around setup, im feeling like i want a little more umph from my bike, since it looks like ill have to wait a year before i get a new bike, i commute on my bike and hit the mountain roads frequently, so is a 15/47 the best for me? what all is involved? new chain?
I'm trying this setup for the first time at the rally as well, but just around the block was nice.

Are you ready for a new chain and sprockets? It is recommended that you change them all together.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts