Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
101 - 120 of 159 Posts

· Registered
5,176 Posts
Yes i know all about M.P.RPM, im just saying, IF IF IF IF IF your bike will push it (every SV technically has a different power curve from all the others) and take into account different mods make the power curve different, such as velocity stacks, cam profiles, exhaust PCIII it will do it (power curve permitting) and no the bike wont go to 13K, the rev limiter is 11.5K on a stock bike. meaning it will cut the spark when the rpms get to 11.5K
Right, i know what you're saying. But IIRC we're talking about a stock SV geared down. A slip on will make a tiny difference. I'd be curios to see what an SV that has been jetted, de snorkeled, and has a full exhaust system would do for top speed. But the bike(s) in question are stock to minimally modded. Yeah, I couldn't remember the red line. Oh well. But I know what you're sayin :)

· Registered
123 Posts
Right, i know what you're saying. But IIRC we're talking about a stock SV geared down. A slip on will make a tiny difference. I'd be curios to see what an SV that has been jetted, de snorkeled, and has a full exhaust system would do for top speed. But the bike(s) in question are stock to minimally modded. Yeah, I couldn't remember the red line. Oh well. But I know what you're sayin :)
dont forget the weight of the rider, that makes a big difference, along with the weight of the rubber on the bike. 1lb. rotating weight is like losing 3lbs. somewhere that isnt rotating.

· Registered
123 Posts
Weight doesn't matter much to top speed, only accelleration. Aerodynamics is a much bigger factor.
Weight does matter, across the whole board of accel and top speed. add 100lbs. to the weight and the top speed will drop a few MPH. and yes aero does make a big difference, and thats a MAJOR factor in the SV's weak a$$ top end.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Red line on my '07 is 10,000rpm.

The fastest any SV could go with 15/44 (factory S gearing prior to '07) gear is 140mph in 6th at 10,000rpm. If you take into account a 10% error, the OEM speedometer would read around 155mph. The lack of power won't allow the SV to go much higher than ~120mph actual speed, though.

· Registered
101 Posts
Like I said. Everyone here is throwing up charts and blowing out mathematical equations. But whats the one thing that will put an end to it all??? A TRUE field test. As I posted before, I have the results for a STOCK 07 SVS. I'm awaiting a new, lower geared, set-up from Blair at SVRacing parts. When I have it on I will go and do the same test. AND THEN we will have ACTUAL physical PROOOOFFF!!! hahaha

But seriously, we all know that if you gear lower, you go slower at the end. Sure... ya get there a hell of a lot faster, but you still loose top end. I think what everyone is arguing about is what the TRUE top speed would be. Isn't there a thread for that on its own?? :p

Anyways, my new set up will be a 14/48 520. We shall see how well she pulls ;D

· Registered
3,251 Posts
I don't care how fast the top speed of my bike is. If I can get up that fast I'm on the wrong stupid road and need to figure out why I bought an Sv! It's a stinking commuter bike that is very nimble, for many people makes a great track bike and for people like myself makes a great weekend canyon carver.

Here's you dumb thread about "How Fast Have You Ridden Your SV?" <link

Enjoy and don't hurt yourself!

· Registered
3,841 Posts
so your telling me if the SV was a 600lb pig it wouldnt affect the top speed? geez man use your head. ANYWAYS. the MPRPM is 9200 on a SV, the redline is 10.5K rpm, and the revlimiter is 11.5K rpm.
Here's an oversimplification:

Weight affects acceleration, braking, and turning.

HP and Torque, and aerodynamics affects top speed.

You can make your speedo say w/e you want it to with a healer, it maxes at at 186mph. We all know it comes optimistic from the factory.

Get a GPS that records your trips. According to mine the fastest I've gone with 15/45 is 99mph.

· Premium Member
13,325 Posts
so your telling me if the SV was a 600lb pig it wouldnt affect the top speed? geez man use your head. ANYWAYS. the MPRPM is 9200 on a SV, the redline is 10.5K rpm, and the revlimiter is 11.5K rpm.
weight does not affect top speed, it only affects how quickly you get to top speed

revlimiter is said to be set at 11.5k but setting the exact rpm it kicks in is not an exact science, every bike is slightly different, tachs on our SVs are not any more accurate than the speedometer as well, it could be off 10%

· Premium Member
4,525 Posts
That is unusual... I'm guessing it felt a little down in power and they poped it on to give it a touch more acceleration...

most likely at the dealership...

unless suzuki is putting 15/45 on both now...
it was stock, I know the dealer didn't change it since it was in a create at there warehouse when i bought it. from hearing from others it seems like it was one of the changes they made to the 07+ SV650S.

101 - 120 of 159 Posts