Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone.
i have a 2002 naked sv650 with stock sprockets. i would like to go up a size on the rear.
can anyone tell me: do "s" models and naked bikes have different sprocket ratios?
also, if i went up a size or two on the rear, will my bike be screaming at 85 or 90mph?
sorry if this is an old topic thats already been covered.
thanks, tom

·
Registered
745 Posts
It has been covered alot here, but I don't mind as much as some of the others. The sprockets are different on nakeds and sports, but only by one tooth on the rear. I dropped a tooth in the front and it just made it a little peppier. I didn't lose any top end. Actually I gained a little due to wind restriction and being higher in the rpms, but that's another story for another time. Basically, if you want the same effect, go up three in the back, it's about like dropping one in the front.  ;)

"And now is the time on Sprockets when we dance!" ;D

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Stock ratios for all years are...

Naked - 15T front, 45T rear
SVS - 15T front, 44T rear

A

·
0 Posts
It's generally better to go up two or three in the rear than down one in the front, as you really stress the front sprocket a lot more when you drop a single tooth there. I've even had SV riders tell me they've had their bikes skip a tooth after having gone down in front. Course, the size choices in rear sprockets are fewer unless you go to a 520 conversion. And front sprockets are cheaper!

Ari

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
AriGabinet said:
It's generally better to go up two or three in the rear than down one in the front, as you really stress the front sprocket a lot more when you drop a single tooth there.  I've even had SV riders tell me they've had their bikes skip a tooth after having gone down in front.  Course, the size choices in rear sprockets are fewer unless you go to a 520 conversion.  And front sprockets are cheaper!

Ari

unless you want someting really radical like a 80 tooth rear with an 11 tooth front, you can get what you want in a 525, in a 525 you can prolly only get as radical as a 12 up front & 75 in the rear

there really isn't any reason to go to a 520 for street riding or an occasional track day, sure if you race, for avaiablility of sprockets at thr track, and slight gains from rotating mass reduction, 520 is worthwhile, for the street, it's not cost effective

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok.... i know when i replace the chain i should repalce the sprockets.... but can i replace either the front or the rear sprocket w/o a new chain???

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yep...

A

·
0 Posts
Your top MPH might change, but I doubt the change in MPG will be noticeable.

·
Registered
485 Posts
What kind of top speed increase am I looking @ with 1 less in the back?
That poses another question... Are the sv650s models faster then the naked?
I've never raced a 650s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
AFAM sells good sprockets, I run a 14T front and a 47T rear, stock chain. I LOVE this combination. I can still go 130 speedo indicated, do you need more top end than that?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Portuga said:
What kind of top speed increase am I looking @ with 1 less in the back?
That poses another question... Are the sv650s models faster then the naked?
I've never raced a 650s.
it is unlikely that dropping 1 in back will make your SV faster, it might make it slower, the SV's limiting factor is aerodynamics. I have been able to attain higher speeds in 5th gear than I can in 6th

·
Registered
415 Posts
From what I understand, raising or lowering one tooth in back will not make a noticable difference. So I would say no, the nakeds probably don't go noticably faster than the S models.

For what its worth, I lowered my front sproket one tooth, and raised the back sprocket one tooth. I love the way it rides.

Only time you should be concerned about your top end is if you consistanly use your top end. Which case I don't. Might hit 90+ once a month just to do it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Forget about a 14 tooth sprocket. They're for weenies. Suzuki really hit the nail on the head with the stock gearing. This is one of the few bikes I can think of where it is as close to perfect on the street as you're gonna get.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have to disagree, the shorter gearing really enhances my riding experience. You still have tons of low end torque so you don't have to downshift very often, especially when you don't want to be tearing along. And when you do, its more fun to rip through the gears quicker. Sprockets are the best bang for the buck you can get IMO.

·
Registered
415 Posts
rwheelz said:
I have to disagree, the shorter gearing really enhances my riding experience. You still have tons of low end torque so you don't have to downshift very often, especially when you don't want to be tearing along. And when you do,  its more fun to rip through the gears quicker. Sprockets are the best bang for the buck you can get IMO.

ditto.

·
Registered
432 Posts
rwheelz said:
I have to disagree, the shorter gearing really enhances my riding experience. You still have tons of low end torque so you don't have to downshift very often,Sprockets are the best bang for the buck you can get IMO.
Remember, we're talking about gearing for the street.

I guess I don't have to slip the clutch to take off so first gear must be good. I can still use sixth on the highway even if I'm only going 60mph so I guess that doesn't need any changing either. Yup, the stock gearing's good. :)

You talk about shifting in your post. Well, you're shifting much more with your shorter gears. Believe it.

There are bikes that are really overgeared from the factory. I'm talking about bikes with honost 80mph first gear. The SV just isn't one of them.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I like taller gearing, cause you don't have to upshift as often, you are in a lower gear to begin, I have a 16t up front 3rd gear pulls to over a ton

N

·
0 Posts
Mike said:
Forget about a 14 tooth sprocket. They're for weenies. Suzuki really hit the nail on the head with the stock gearing. This is one of the few bikes I can think of where it is as close to perfect on the street as you're gonna get.
Guess I'm a weenie too, because I don't agree with you either.

There isn't a "right" gear set for the SV. It depends on the specific application and the rider's preference. I alternate between the 14/45 and 15/45 combinations. Each gives the SV a slightly different character, but I wouldn't say that one is better than the other (I haven't tried the 16T sprocket yet but I may soon).

The 14T is slightly busier on the highway, but zippier around town. The 15T is more relaxed on the slab and still has plenty of punch for in town riding due to the SV's flat torque curve. I don't see a significant diff in MPG between the two, and while top speed isn't  a relevant number to me, I doubt there's much difference there either.

:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts