Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member here. I am looking at a SV650FS. It is a 2008 grey model with only 232 miles. The bike has been dropped once on its side and the left fairing is scratched up well. It is owned by an older lady who is looking to get rid of it. She had it listed for $6500 but is entertaining any offers. I am just wondering what is a good offer? It has an aftermarket Yoshimura exhaust.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You can probably find a leftover brand new one for 6k - I'm with the guy above: $3,500.

If it's 4 years old with that few miles, that equals a lot of sitting, not a good thing if it wasn't taken care of. Was it prepped for long-term storage? How (and where) was it stored? I'd steer clear, personally, if you can't get verifyable details about those things...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was garaged and you can tell. Aside from the fairing the bike was in great condition. I figure I will do an oil/coolant change anyways. One thing that was weird about it was the bike was hard to turn on. And by that I mean the key was in the off position and it took multiple times to get it to the on position before starting the bike. It was just very hard to turn. Very strange, but I am guessing some WD40 could solve that. Going to go again tomorrow and check it out and if I like it I will offer 3.5k right there.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It was garaged and you can tell. Aside from the fairing the bike was in great condition. I figure I will do an oil/coolant change anyways. One thing that was weird about it was the bike was hard to turn on. And by that I mean the key was in the off position and it took multiple times to get it to the on position before starting the bike. It was just very hard to turn. Very strange, but I am guessing some WD40 could solve that. Going to go again tomorrow and check it out and if I like it I will offer 3.5k right there.
Don't use WD40.

Get some graphite powder. You can find it in the lock section of Lowe's or in just about any auto parts store.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Pay what you're comfortable paying. I'm sure some research into other selling prices would help you. By research, I mean actually looking.
This.

Check other prices on Craigs and get a feel for the market. If you don't want to shell out the cash, then don't or haggle.

Bike prices vary by location so the $3500 numbers being thrown around may not be right for a low mile garaged bike in your area.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If it's 4 years old with that few miles, that equals a lot of sitting, not a good thing if it wasn't taken care of. Was it prepped for long-term storage? How (and where) was it stored? I'd steer clear, personally, if you can't get verifyable details about those things...
Besides checking out the normal things, definitely beware of improper storage issues ^^

Rusted gas tank, gummed up throttle bodies, anything else?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Besides checking out the normal things, definitely beware of improper storage issues ^^

Rusted gas tank, gummed up throttle bodies, anything else?
Rust in the cylinders, water/moisture intrusion in the brake lines, dry rotted tires, frozen brake calipers...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts