Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to ride about 500 miles in the next two days, what should I do to prep the bike?? What vital parts should be checked and torqued before I leave?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
check the basics, clean and lube the chain, check tire pressures, check cables and lube them, consider carrying some spare parts and a fix a flat can, first aid kit is a good idea too

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
500 miles isnt too far, but for any decent trip chain, tires, fluid levels (brake, oil, coolant). I believe there is a pretty good rundown for items to check in the OEM manual somewheres.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
check your tire pressures, front and rear. clean and lube the chain. check all your fluids: coolant, brake and oil. wash your bike so it's clean and pretty. wear clean underwear. and don't forget to have and emergencey number to call in the event of your death in your wallet.

But in reality 500 isn't all that much. I've done over 600 in the last three days so I just have to do another chain lubing and TP check and I'm done.

:)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
GulfCoastHooligan said:
Going to ride about 500 miles in the next two days, what should I do to prep the bike?? What vital parts should be checked and torqued before I leave?
If you have followed the recommended maintenance schedule, so long at your tires have 10% tread I wouldn't do any more than what I should do every time I ride my bike

please note I said should.... I got caught not checking my tire pressure on Beldude's NH ride yesterday, after I lead for about 50 miles, I stopped for a break, it was mentioned to me my tires looked soft, rear was down to 32 when hot from 42 cold and front was 22 hot instead of 36 cold normally when fully warmed up my cold pressures increase to 46F/46R when hot

the important things
tires condition & pressure
chain adjuistment and condition
brake condition
oil
means of obtainig fuel, one tank of gas will not last 500 miles (more than once I have found myself further away from home than I like, without my wallet, now I have a $20 stashed with my registration & insurance papers)

I mighta forgot something 500miles in 2 days is everyday riding for me

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a new bike though, just under 1000 on the odometer, I did the 600 mile service and I inspect everything daily for loose parts etc and tighten and torque as needed, oil is fresh, fluids are in check and everything is lubed and cleaned I guess I am good to go

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
don't forget the clean underwear. ;)

·
Registered
935 Posts
500 miles, two days ,hah. Nothin to worry about man. I woulndt do anything any different than any other time you ride. Good luck, and may the weather be nice!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
You should always carry a spare set of levers, a spare headlight bulb, and spare t/s bulb. Zip ties, electrical tape, and a hose clamp assortment. A flat plug fix kit (with air canister), A leatherman tool is always a plus. Lighter, Flashlight, Maps, and cell phone. You willl not have to use this stuff much with an SV, but you never know, and you can always help someone else out on the road. Have fun (this isnt a long trip really, but anything can happen anytime.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
i agree with all the others. just wanted to put my 2 cents in. ya 500 miles is not that far. i have done over 1000 in less that 24 hrs. thats a lot of riding and it takes a toll on your body.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Morpheous said:
You should always carry a spare set of levers, a spare headlight bulb, and spare t/s bulb. Zip ties, electrical tape, and a hose clamp assortment. A flat plug fix kit (with air canister), A leatherman tool is always a plus. Lighter, Flashlight, Maps, and cell phone. You willl not have to use this stuff much with an SV, but you never know, and you can always help someone else out on the road. Have fun (this isnt a long trip really, but anything can happen anytime.)
What kind of trailer do you have to pull all that stuff with? :eek: :p

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Morpheous said:
That Guy said:
What kind of trailer do you have to pull all that stuff with? :eek: :p
I carry most of that stuff & more in my saddlebags

·
Registered
935 Posts
That probably sums it up though, just made me realize that i should probably get a tire repair kit.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
RandyO said:
I carry most of that stuff & more in my saddlebags
Yeah but who's got saddle bags besides you and the heavy chick that lives down the hall??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts