Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful Saturday in Colorado so i geared up and headed on out. Heading back to the house i cought the red at a huge intersection in Parker Colorado. Looking to my right at the traffic heading west is a beautiful possibly vintage Cafe racer. Riding it was a gentleman wearing shorts, a tshirt, flipflops,sunglasses and a pair of beats or the like headphones. Man i thought to myself why wasn't i born the same year as him? Obviously his birth year came standard equipped with a a skull that can absorb inpact with asphalt and arms and legs that won't skin like a banana when scraping along the hard deck. And last but not least Esp so powerful that while rocking out he can sense the impending doom that must surely be close by. It was hot yes. But dude. SERIOUSLY!! Old Chinese proverb sais. Better him than me. (Gear up and live gang)

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is one of my pet peeves as well.
I often see riders on the motorway riding in shorts and t-shirt, no gloves, no riding shoes, jet helmets...

I wonder if they have been so lucky not to be hit on their bare skin by anything bigger than a mosquito, while riding.
I have been hit on the knee bone by a tiny rock, road debris raised by a preceding car, and although i was riding in full gear it stung and hurt like hell...

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly right! Many years ago on 2 occasions I was hit in the head by road debris being kicked up by vehicles in front of me. 1 small piece of gravel hit my helmet so hard( above my left temple)that the impact actually made my eyes roll back. Without the helmet that quite possibly could have put me down if not entered my head like a bullet.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Your risk/reward calculation is different than his.
There are millions of people who would make exactly the same argument about you that you did about him, saying that riding a bike is way more dangerous than driving a car, and that anyone who does so is a fool.

You reject his judgement as stupid, and you obviously don’t agree with the other group.

Why is your judgement about acceptable risk the correct one?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Because mine (wear proper clothing when riding over wearing beach attire) reduces risk.

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with your statement completely. What we chose to do is obviously and inherently dangerous. I mitigate to the best of my ability what can and potentially happen to myself and each and every other rider out there. He could have very well only been going what in his mind was a quick and easy trip down the street to circle K. That ease and comfort in such a short trip is all it takes to leave your wife and kids without their father or husband. Have i ridden in such a way. Absolutely! Do i know and understand what its like and how it feels to go down? Yes! When I see a rookie overconfident and so lax it makes me want to introduce myself and share. Its Its all about choice.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Motorbikes are just stupid dangerous, no getting around it. It didn't take much of a crash without leathers 30 years ago to drive the point home and impress upon me the need for gear. ATGATT ever since, yet some days when I ride I find it hard to justify the risk. Today was one of them.

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes! Its been in the high 90s in Denver the past 2 weeks and im sweating before I even get out of the driveway. The only relief is when im rolling. 3 months in as a new rider i low sided in a left hand turn through a intersection slightly damp. Later i was basically chewing on my girlfriend's pillow while she dug the asphalt out of my left knee. As you can attest its not something you forget.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Beautiful Saturday in Colorado so i geared up and headed on out. Heading back to the house i cought the red at a huge intersection in Parker Colorado. Looking to my right at the traffic heading west is a beautiful possibly vintage Cafe racer. Riding it was a gentleman wearing shorts, a tshirt, flipflops,sunglasses and a pair of beats or the like headphones. Man i thought to myself why wasn't i born the same year as him? Obviously his birth year came standard equipped with a a skull that can absorb inpact with asphalt and arms and legs that won't skin like a banana when scraping along the hard deck. And last but not least Esp so powerful that while rocking out he can sense the impending doom that must surely be close by. It was hot yes. But dude. SERIOUSLY!! Old Chinese proverb sais. Better him than me. (Gear up and live gang)

Believe me after a few years of riding, you wont give a damn about how other dress to ride. I gave up years ago. Had enough people tell me they are "good riders", only to watch them ride proves otherwise. I have an expert race license, been riding sportbikes since 1994, racing them since 1999 and still got taken down by a car on a highway that changed lanes into me. I went from averaging 15-18K miles a year on a bike to less than 200 in each of the last 2 yrs and NONE this year. The HD is probably going to be sold, more than likely selling my YZF and probably after this season, selling the racebike. Street riding is no longer fun, racing is becoming more a of chore and with more & more people who cant even see my FULL SIZE TRUCK because they are too busy effing with their phones along with the "me first" mentality, we are pretty much done riding. Probably pick up a little sports car instead.

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Believe me after a few years of riding, you wont give a damn about how other dress to ride. I gave up years ago. Had enough people tell me they are "good riders", only to watch them ride proves otherwise. I have an expert race license, been riding sportbikes since 1994, racing them since 1999 and still got taken down by a car on a highway that changed lanes into me. I went from averaging 15-18K miles a year on a bike to less than 200 in each of the last 2 yrs and NONE this year. The HD is probably going to be sold, more than likely selling my YZF and probably after this season, selling the racebike. Street riding is no longer fun, racing is becoming more a of chore and with more & more people who cant even see my FULL SIZE TRUCK because they are too busy effing with their phones along with the "me first" mentality, we are pretty much done riding. Probably pick up a little sports car instead.

First street bike was a VT-500 ascot that I picked up in 2000, progressed up from there over time and as my riding and experience level increased. I see the short and tank top riders often but what I think really grabbed my attention about the rider that prompted my share on SVRIDER. The full blown headphones while riding. I haven't check how the law is written but my guess totally illegal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
it's been hot in california, and I've seen some mc riders only wearing shorts / minimal protection..

there was a time when I'd judge fellow riders for not wearing protective gear.. lately, however, I've been trying to accept others for the decisions they make, as long as they aren't directly affecting me (this goes beyond motorcycling);

if every motorcyclist rode with full protective gear all the time, would that make you (OP) happier?

if some other motorcyclists choose to be reckless / irresponsible, are you worried that will somehow give all motorcyclists the image of recklessness to other motorists?

do you gain some feeling of superiority when you see other careless riders? In that case, maybe you should be thanking them!

I'm annoyingly playing devil's advocate.. while it does irritate me when I see other riders acting irresponsibly, when I ride I try to convey the image, attitude and respect I'd like to be given when I'm out on the road.

And even so, I don't expect anything from any other motorists. As a biker, I'm close to the bottom of the 'food-chain' when riding, and no matter who is at fault in a collision, I'm likely getting the worse deal..

That's why I wear gear!

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Make sure you have a nice ride.

Meaning, don't let anything ruin your experience. Don't give in to negativity. Don't let others bring you down. Smile because someone else is in the wind--don't let yourself become judgy for what they wear or ride or whatever. Smile because you're in the wind and that lady who almost hit you is so cocooned in her SUV she will never know the feeling. Have fun and make it home.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you see someone taking a dangerous road, would you stop and warm him or would you just shrug your shoulders?
If you see someone getting hurt, would you feel for him or would you simply watch with indifference?

I know I am not able to be that detached.
And it has nothing to do with my joy of riding, not with pride or sense of superiority because I wear proper gear.

·
MOTORADOR
10,820 Posts
If you see someone taking a dangerous road, would you stop and warm him or would you just shrug your shoulders?...
Trust me, they know.

Do you really want to help others? Become a riding instructor or some kind of motorcycle safety influencer and patiently teach those who want to do it "right". But do it without judging others — life is too short to be grieving over the decisions of others only because they chose to take different risks than you.

·
Registered
328 Posts
There are three types of people in this world.
The wise, who learn from the mistakes of others.
The smart, who learn from their own mistakes.
And the ones who just seem to never learn.

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
(BTW, I don't mean to discourage posting about squiddy rider sightings)
Are you kidding me!! You come at me in such a disrespectful way in reference to judgment when in my wording the post was to be somewhat jovial. No i will not be posting here anymore.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your risk/reward calculation is different than his.
There are millions of people who would make exactly the same argument about you that you did about him, saying that riding a bike is way more dangerous than driving a car, and that anyone who does so is a fool.

You reject his judgement as stupid, and you obviously don’t agree with the other group.

I agree very much with this line of thinking. A lot of things in life can be risky. And of course, there are different levels to any activity. Clearly, riding a motorcycle is an acceptable risk for us. For me, riding without gear is not acceptable, nor is riding in heavy traffic, or riding at night, or doing wheelies. But everyone has to decide for themselves if the risks they take are worth it. And these decisions can vary over time and with experience.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts