Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

What shock do I have?

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  neimis 
#1 ·
So when I bought my bike last August I didn't notice that the stock rear shock had been replaced. Long term I plan to swap out the suspension with GSXR components -- but right now I'm just curious what I currently have and if it's any good. I'm a new rider so have nothing to compare it to, but the rear suspension seems to be much stiffer than the stock front end, which I like.

How do I identify what I have? Here's a picture:

See less See more
Discussion starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, sorry - forgot to check back on this thread until now.

Sounds like the popular choice is now that's it's a zx-10 shock -- but I thought I read somewhere here that the zx-10 doesn't require the SV's battery box to be cut, and mine is.

Is there any thing I can look for specifically on the shock to confirm, instead of just browsing pictures? Markings/product/serial #'s?

I only weigh 135lbs (yeah, I know) and haven't adjusted anything on the shock to this point, which explains why the rear is so stiff in comparison to the front end.

thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!

Discussion starter · #19 ·
That spring is 559 lb./in. If you weigh 135 lb. it is not going to matter how much you adjust the shock, it is useless for you. It is not possible to adjust it enough to work - with the spring preload backed off to the minimum and the valving adjusted full soft, it will still be like you are riding a hardtail. That spring is suitable for someone twice as heavy as you, about 270 lb. The valving will also be too stiff.

You would be much better off with a stock shock, even though it is a piece of junk and not adjustable except for preload, the spring rate of 430 lb./in. is close to being right for your weight. Opinions on the correct spring rate for your weight would range from 430 lb./in. to 475 lb./in. Someone here might give you a stock shock for free if you pay for shipping. Or you could search for the rare '06 - '07 ZX-10 shock (spring rate of 463 lb./in.) Beware, a lot of the shocks on eBay are mislabelled - they are not what the seller says they are. Do your homework if you go that route.
Where are you getting these spring rates from? There has to be some softer Suzuki/Kawi adjustable shocks out there that fit the SV. Putting a stock shock on just seems like an odd thing to do.

thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.