Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this post will probably get deleted but?
There has to be problems, things people don?t like etc.
Before putting up the money to buy one I would like to hear some of the downsides.
Thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts
Top end power isnt there compared with an I4
the suspension is a bit on the soft side but thats easily fixable, oh and its a girls bike :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Storz nailed it... 8)

·
Registered
551 Posts
i have had a problem with mine poping out of gear on me, could be me..but i am sorta convinced that its the bike sometimes

·
Registered
97 Posts
The suspension is the firs tthing that comes to mind. That is where Suzuki saved the cost on the SV vs. a GSX-R600. You can easily upgrade the suspension.

The top end is never going to keep up with an I4. It's a question of priorities. Do you want to be able to hit 150+ on the straight-aways, or do you want low end torque. You can't get both in the same price range.

Those are the one downsides I am aware of.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The stuff above and prolonged wheelies cause an oil starvation. Everything else that comes to mind can be fixed pretty easy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The brakes are horrible. I dont know if this can be fixed cheaply.

The suspension can be improved over stock, but i've ridden SS bikes that had a well sorted stock setup which felt as good or better.

Not much wind protection, but then you can get full fairings.

stock ergos are a bit weird for me now, and the stock seat has to be changed.

stock can is an anchor, and sounds muted, but if you're into that, you are in luck.

I love my SV.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Suspension is the big thing that most people think of. Can be easily remedied via the aftermarket.

I've had no issues with the brakes. They seem to make me stop just fine. But I'm still a bit of a newbie, so it could be just me.

If you're a stunta, look elsewhere. Prolonged wheelies can cause oil starvation.

Not as much raw full-on horsepower as an inline 4, but in return you get much more power in the lower RPM range where you're more likely to use it anyway.

I would have prefered standard handlebars on my S to the clipons. Just my opinion, though...some folks prefer the clipons. Again, this can easily be fixed via the aftermarket.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
rcmark said:
I know this post will probably get deleted but?
Nah. You have to be downright rude, obscene, racist, or an insufferable troll to get your post deleted. Not that we want you to try harder or anything. But the truth, and even controversy, will never get your post deleted here.

There has to be problems, things people don?t like etc.
Before putting up the money to buy one I would like to hear some of the downsides.
Thanks
Gotta agree with most of the above. The suspension bits are bottom-drawer stuff, but easily and inexpensively upgraded.

Got no complaints whatsoever about the brakes, but then again I've been riding since 1977 and have had a few bikes with truly scary bad brakes. The SV ain't one of 'em. If you're picky, a set of braided stainless lines will help. If you're crazy, the front end of a GSXR is a fairly straightforward graft job.

Power? How's right off of idle grunt, and a power band that stretches from 3000 to 9500 rpm grab you? Nah, it won't chase down any 600cc super sports, but you'll be having so much fun riding like an idiot that you won't care. If you've got an inner hooligan, this bike will bring it out and make it a large part of your riding character.

Some people complain that they can't stop modifying their SVs. I must say that this isn't a problem for me, now that I've made my '99 SV convertible into an SVS, gone back from clip-ons to three different bends of tubular bars, mounted a Buell Blast bugscreen and then replaced it with a Givi A770, ditched the passenger pegs and seat and bolted up an AirTech seat cowling, replaced the stock brake lines with stainless ones, and grafted a 2Bros CF canister from a GSXR600 to the stock exhaust system. I'm sure there's other stuff I've forgotten.

Honestly, all the good stuff they say about the SV is true. And people who bad mouth it are squids and idiots and should be ignored.

Welcome to the board!

Bill

·
Registered
238 Posts
all true. but c'mon don't forget the sound man. aftermarket exhaust and you've got the mad notes. I4s just too damn high pitched. Not manly like SV .

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Lacking another top gear seems to be a long trip highway issue and I think they could have done a better set up an arrangement to the 1st gen gauge cluster. One white faced and the other black and the Tach off to the left what were they thinking?? Balance I don't think so.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
spuds said:
i have had a problem with mine poping out of gear on me, could be me..but i am sorta convinced that its the bike sometimes
Dude, wtf? Because of your shifting techniques, you've probably buggered up your transmission, this was discussed in another thread. In my experience on this board, I cannot recall another incident of an owner's bike popping out of gear. The person who posted this thread wanted to know poor characteristics common of the SV, not what is wrong with your bike.

My beefs with the SV:
  • Just decent suspension, not up to the job of serious twisties.
  • Chain adjusters could be better.
  • Fuel injection isn't as refined as SS bikes
  • Stock exhaust is HUGE and heavy.
  • Why have a bolt on can for the exhaust?
    [/list:u]

There really isn't much you can fault the SV for given it's price and intended use. It's a great do-all bike.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Spirit of Bunny said:
The brakes are horrible. I dont know if this can be fixed cheaply.
Horrible?? Are you just that much faster than me? :wink:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Rosier said:
Ben_JamminVFCC said:
No one likes the stock "mudflap" rear fender...easily fixed.
Speak for yourself.
Okay, noone but Rosier likes the stock mudflap. :lol:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not enough overall power!!!

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Ok, since I saw somone else talking about the transmission...

I've noticed mine slips out of 2nd gear occasionally. I thought it was cause I wasn't shifting from 1st to 2nd hard enough, but it's not. It doesn't matter how much I get on the throttle either. I always shift with the clutch, so it's not that either. Since I'm the second person with this problem, I guess that's a down-side to the SV.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts