Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 06 sv and wondering if i should upgrade the rear shock, im not a very aggresive rider, mostly just around town with some weekend trips and twisty riding, i also ride 2 up a bit in the summer. im 130lbs so do i need to upgrade the shock? if so which is best?

thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
You can use a GSXR 600 or 1000. If you can find one for cheap go for the ZX-6r shock.

I Have been using a GSXR 600 for about 2 years now, and me am happy. I weight 130Lbs and also have a 06.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i have an 06 sv and wondering if i should upgrade the rear shock, im not a very aggresive rider, mostly just around town with some weekend trips and twisty riding, i also ride 2 up a bit in the summer. im 130lbs so do i need to upgrade the shock? if so which is best?
gsx-r 600 k4-5
you don't need it if the bike has less than 10000miles. if not *an almost new* gsxr would be a reasonable and cheap upgrade

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Don't use a ZX-6R shock - they're sprung way too high for your weight.

Race Tech recommends a rear spring rate of 7.63kg/mm for a 130lb rider. '04-'05 GSX-R600 is 7.6kg/mm, which is spot on.

If you want a little stiffer shock for two-up, '05-'06 GSX-R1000 has an 8.1kg/mm spring rate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would think you would know from the handling, I just got an '03 with 13k on it and it wallows like a pig in the corners...I am 200 pounds and went with a '04 GSXR 1000 shock to better fit my weight.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
doesn't sound like you really need to upgrade the shock right now; super-low miles, no track days, mostly a commuter. how often do you carry a passenger? if a lot, a stiffer sprung shock will be appreciated, if not all that often, then you're fine. if you just want to, just to upgrade it, i agree with some of the other posters, find a shock with a similar spring.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have an 08 GSXR 600 shock that I've been pleased with. You'll have to cut the toolbox, but the tools are easily relocated in the "trunk."

·
Registered
298 Posts
I weigh200 lbs and have an 05 sv650s with 16000 miles. How much of a difference would it make if i put a GSX-R 1000 shock on? How hard are they to install?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just recently watched a shock tuner on a youtube video talking about the SV suspension. He said the shock was basically worn out in 3000 miles! Never heard that before. So, after 16k miles, you're definitely due for a new shock, GSXR or otherwise.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Where is this spring rate calculator that everyone keeps citing? I'm 150lbs and I can only ever seem to find a calculator for the front.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I use Race Tech. They don't list rear specs for the SV650, but the SV1000 is very close (not stock rates, but recommended rates).

·
Registered
680 Posts
Here is a thread that lists the stock spring rates, which I believe are accurate. The chart that gives the recommended spring rates generated some debate, however. Since I am not a heavy guy (less than 200 lbs.), I tried to get a shock with close to the stock rate (which led me to the GSXR 600 shock).

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=90821

Besides the GSXR swap, another option worth considering is buying an aftermarket shock and having it rebuilt to fit your bike and weight. More $$ than the GSXR swap, but many experienced riders believe it is the best way to go.

·
Registered
298 Posts
How hard is it to install a GSX-R 1000 shock? Will i have to do any mods to the bike?

·
Registered
680 Posts
The 1000 requires cutting the battery box. Use the search and check it out. Better yet, search using Google. Type in your search term and then add site:svrider.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
I weigh200 lbs and have an 05 sv650s with 16000 miles. How much of a difference would it make if i put a GSX-R 1000 shock on? How hard are they to install?
You would notice a difference, I just installed a ZX14 shock and its so much better.

If I were you I'd look at the ZX10 or ZX6R shock as they have a lower spring rate more appropriate to your weight and they wont have clearance issues with the battery box.

If you don't have a clearance issues its pretty much just a bolt on. You will need a new bolt though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts