Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8,148 Posts
If you are nearly getting hit by people changing lanes, perhaps your positioning relative to others is off.

People don't often plan ahead enough when driving. This means that people will often change lanes at the last moment as traffic comes to a stop in front of them. Most people don't use their mirrors or have them set incorrectly.

Basically what it boils down to, is if you're not willing (or able) to give so much space to the people next to you that you're not in their blind spots, you should at least take care not to ride directly beside them as much as possible--especially not with your front wheel in line with their rear passenger door.

If I find myself beside someone's rear door, I either pass them right away or back off so I'm half a bike length behind their rear bumper. This way, I'm generally close enough that no one tries to cut in, but far enough back that if the guy changes lanes, he won't hit me. I might still have to evade and/or brake depending on what else he does, but at least I have time.

· Registered
8,148 Posts
i have always attempted to get out of blind spots, but in the transition from behind to beside, you must traverse it. its here that the problems happen.
That's why I mentioned that people tend to do this when traffic stops or slows in front of them. Learning or being aware of when it is safest to pass and when it is better to hang back is part of the art of surviving.

Yes, every once in a while someone will do something completely random when you least expect it, but my experience has shown that to be rare. YMMV, of course.

· Registered
8,148 Posts
And to make that pathetic point even more sad, I got my license in Boston, where the roads were and are full of "Massh*les."
Massh*les are good drivers, we just follow our own rules.

Mostly, it's, "I'm the best driver on the road, the rest of you suck, and you're all in my way," with a little bit of, "If you're going faster than me, you're a maniac and if you're going slower, you're an idiot."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.