Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I live in MD (Baltimore/Annapolis/DC area) and have noticed that cagers here rarely blink when changing lanes or turning.
from my observation its <20% maybe even <15% who actually do! WTF?

how many would you say blink in your state/area?

next question:

how often do you nearly get run off the road? or nearly into oncoming traffic because some cager is too lazy to look around?! what kinds of roads does it usually happen on?

i went to meet a fellow SVrider for a parts purchase in Annapolis and was almost pushed into oncoming traffic by some 50-ish y.o. looking douche. its probably at least once a week, sometimes once a day that someone pulls into my lane without blinking or looking around.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
In miami I see constantly drivers who do not use their blinkers. I would say at least 50% of drivers here do not use blinkers...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In miami I see constantly drivers who do not use their blinkers. I would say at least 50% of drivers here do not use blinkers...
thats better than most places i've been so far

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sixty percent of the time they use they use them one hundred percent of the time.
You give them too much credit and we live only 1/2 hour apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I think it's a rather foolish question to ask. It's incredibly subjective and not at all scientific or provable...you're moving, seeing a small fraction of the cars on the road, and you are more likely going to notice those that don't more than those that do.

And if you're trying to keep track of all of them you have become a hazard on the road because you are concentrating on something other than your bike and the other hazards.

Yes, I like raining on silly parades.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Most people use their blinkers here.

The problem is that 45% of those people believe that the blinker is some magical device that clears a path for you so you don't have to look when you make the turn. They get all surprised when this doesn't happen.

About 45% believe that when you put your blinker on then that means that you get the full and immediate right of way to where ever you are turning and its everyone elses responsibility to get out of your way, so no need to look. They get agree at you for not moving out of their way.

That leaves 10%. 5% of which don't use their blinkers. and 5% that actually do know what they are for and how they actually work.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I'd be surprised if it was anywhere close to that high. There is essentially no traffic enforcement in Miami anymore, so people get away with anything. I don't know where the cops are or what they are doing, but I have even seen people run red lights in front of Miami-Dade cops and not get lit up. I can't remember the last time I saw a cop pull someone over in the city. FHP will get you for speeding on the turnpike, I guess because they don't have much else to be concerned about other than speeding and accidents, but Miami-Dade city/county cops are nowhere to be seen. I was out walking the other day and watched about a dozen cars roll through one stop sign near a hospital and only one came to a complete stop. I got my very first traffic ticket at 14 (you could ride a motorbike of 125cc or less at 14 on a restricted license back in the day) for failure to come to a complete stop, so it's something I pay attention to.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In Kissimmee on 192, john young parkway that intersection right there. Red light running, 4 cars 2 cops... Not a damn one flashed them. I flicked the cops off because one of the cars almost hit me.

But I'd say I'm guilty of not using my signals in a car.. But I rarely drive a car anymore. Last time was like a week ago and it was only for like 5 miles. lol

In kissimmee? maybe 70% use blinkers, its not that bad. Red light running is a ton worse.

And believe it or not, them Disney folks.. Only maybe 5% of them don't signal. Most of the non-locals are VERY good at signals.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
If you are nearly getting hit by people changing lanes, perhaps your positioning relative to others is off.

People don't often plan ahead enough when driving. This means that people will often change lanes at the last moment as traffic comes to a stop in front of them. Most people don't use their mirrors or have them set incorrectly.

Basically what it boils down to, is if you're not willing (or able) to give so much space to the people next to you that you're not in their blind spots, you should at least take care not to ride directly beside them as much as possible--especially not with your front wheel in line with their rear passenger door.

If I find myself beside someone's rear door, I either pass them right away or back off so I'm half a bike length behind their rear bumper. This way, I'm generally close enough that no one tries to cut in, but far enough back that if the guy changes lanes, he won't hit me. I might still have to evade and/or brake depending on what else he does, but at least I have time.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it's a rather foolish question to ask. It's incredibly subjective and not at all scientific or provable...you're moving, seeing a small fraction of the cars on the road, and you are more likely going to notice those that don't more than those that do.

And if you're trying to keep track of all of them you have become a hazard on the road because you are concentrating on something other than your bike and the other hazards.

turns out, its not a foolish question to ask. i know its subjective, that why i asked "how many do you think..." i was asking for peoples observations/opinions which are by definition subjective to each respective person.

and no, i don't stare at back of every car on the road waiting to tally up his/her bad habits. that assumption is silly on your part. i observe as much as i can and that includes blinkers of cars in front of me.

please continue this topic guys! rain seldom stops me, so unless you can conjure up some lightening, i'll keep parading. ;D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are nearly getting hit by people changing lanes, perhaps your positioning relative to others is off.

People don't often plan ahead enough when driving. This means that people will often change lanes at the last moment as traffic comes to a stop in front of them. Most people don't use their mirrors or have them set incorrectly.

Basically what it boils down to, is if you're not willing (or able) to give so much space to the people next to you that you're not in their blind spots, you should at least take care not to ride directly beside them as much as possible--especially not with your front wheel in line with their rear passenger door.

If I find myself beside someone's rear door, I either pass them right away or back off so I'm half a bike length behind their rear bumper. This way, I'm generally close enough that no one tries to cut in, but far enough back that if the guy changes lanes, he won't hit me. I might still have to evade and/or brake depending on what else he does, but at least I have time.
unfortunately, in that specific instance we were in dense city traffic taking a slight bend in the road and i was passing. i would have waited, but my turn was in about 100 feet onto a side street. he didn't look or have regard for lane markers. these issues are usually only a problem when i'm in a city or during rush hour. i have always attempted to get out of blind spots, but in the transition from behind to beside, you must traverse it. its here that the problems happen. last time i hurried through a blind spot, i got a ticket for 15mph > speed limit. since then, i haven't overtaken as fast so as to avoid the "cop around the corner" thats why (in my opinion) i have been running into these scenarios. lately, i have been looking for less traveled roads and am more willingly taking detours when i see traffic getting dense.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
about the same as the % of motorcyclists that leave their turn signals on all the time :lmao:

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
turns out, its not a foolish question to ask. i know its subjective, that why i asked "how many do you think..." i was asking for peoples observations/opinions which are by definition subjective to each respective person.

and no, i don't stare at back of every car on the road waiting to tally up his/her bad habits. that assumption is silly on your part. i observe as much as i can and that includes blinkers of cars in front of me.

please continue this topic guys! rain seldom stops me, so unless you can conjure up some lightening, i'll keep parading. ;D
I assumed nothing; I presented it as "if".

As you can see, you're getting hits all over the target, which shows nothing. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts

typical....

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
i have always attempted to get out of blind spots, but in the transition from behind to beside, you must traverse it. its here that the problems happen.
That's why I mentioned that people tend to do this when traffic stops or slows in front of them. Learning or being aware of when it is safest to pass and when it is better to hang back is part of the art of surviving.

Yes, every once in a while someone will do something completely random when you least expect it, but my experience has shown that to be rare. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I assumed nothing; I presented it as "if".

As you can see, you're getting hits all over the target, which shows nothing. ;)
i'm not looking for any specific number. i'm not gonna compile all the responses or spreadsheet anything. just curious about observations in different places. sure the data is meaningless to some, and useless to all, but its still at least a bit interesting, despite showing nothing. you have something better to do at 5:28 on a tuesday? ;)

That's why I mentioned that people tend to do this when traffic stops or slows in front of them. Learning or being aware of when it is safest to pass and when it is better to hang back is part of the art of surviving.

Yes, every once in a while someone will do something completely random when you least expect it, but my experience has shown that to be rare. YMMV, of course.
i agree and thanks for the tips. its been a while since MSF, so having someone speak them again helps remind us of the little techniques.

YMMV? whats that? "your mileage may vary" doesn't seem to fit this situation... :p

1 - 20 of 43 Posts