Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
I usually run low grade. Last tack day I ran out of gas and put 110octane in it. It smells really good :D . Seemed to have more torque but less top end.

B

·
0 Posts
I replied 93, but I actually use 94.

The difference for a full tank is about $1.00.

This makes no difference when it costs me $50 to fill up my ML320.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
87 like God and Suzuki intended. Anything else is a waste of money (unless you're running high-compression pistons or other hot-rod goodies).

Bill

T

·
0 Posts
bmetz99 said:
87 like God and Suzuki intended. Anything else is a waste of money (unless you're running high-compression pistons or other hot-rod goodies).

Bill

Amen

·
0 Posts
92 octane

whenever I use 89 or 87 octane... My SV feels as if it loses power and it sounds different. Its hard to explain.
I never use 87 or 89 octane because of that.
92 octane is much cleaner than 87 and 89. I've also used 110 race fuel a few times. didnt feel much difference but my lap times were a bit quicker.
Dont know if it was the 110 octane that made me quicker.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Why do I bother

Advertising and misconceptions rule regardless of factual information. I run 87 because I know better.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Re: 92 octane

1fastSV said:
whenever I use 89 or 87 octane... My SV feels as if it loses power and it sounds different. Its hard to explain.
I never use 87 or 89 octane because of that.
92 octane is much cleaner than 87 and 89. I've also used 110 race fuel a few times. didnt feel much difference but my lap times were a bit quicker.
Dont know if it was the 110 octane that made me quicker.

placebo effect :shock:

P

·
0 Posts
VP Ultimate 4
VP MR1
and Cam 2

my bike has never seen pump gas!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
RE

My scoot runs great in all temps and gets 50 mpg using 87.

-cos

·
Registered
18 Posts
fungfung said:
I use 91, I was trying 94 Sunoco, but it gives me [email protected]#TY response. It feels like didnt rev it up at all and lose power. Any idea Y?
Higher octane gas is harder to ignite. It burns slower. In any engine you always want to use the lowest octane you can without causeing detonation. Putting too high of an octane in can amke you lose power.

Read these.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-07-30-premiumgas_x.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
ban octane posts!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
87 - street
only go higher if you race, at which point you should know whats good for your bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
race gas vs. pump fuel

If you're running race gas, you are most likely losing power, I can *almost* guarantee. I took my 240Z to the dyno (3.1 liter, 11:1CR NA inline 6), ran it on 93 pump and made 255rwhp (several runs between 250 and 255 as I optimized ignition advanced). Then I ran VP C11 race gas (~110 R+M/2 octane), and had to advance my ignition timing about 4 degrees and still LOST 12rwhp (several runs between 237 and 243hp). I've heard that in some SCCA regions, ordinary pump fuel is outlawed because of the hp advantage relative to track fuels!

Dan

U

·
0 Posts
tank mileage

I agree that you should always run the lowest octane your engine can take. I lost about 40 mi range when I put 88 octane in the tank, so went back to 91. These engines have 11:1 compression. I thought that was premium territory for sure?

B

·
0 Posts
What does the manual state? I know there is a specific heading just for Canada.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: tank mileage

For an automobile engine, 11:1 is pretty high. For a bike engine, not really. The new ZX6R has 13.5:1 CR. Now THAT may be 91 min octane territory. Suzuki specifies 87 octane. That's probably all any of us needs.

Ignition advance shouldn't necessarily require higher octane, but higher octane will probably require more ignition advance (for max performance)!

Dan

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
also, you should drink only distilled water for your body because it is better quality water.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts