Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story:

The gf's aunt has offered this bike to me, free of charge. It was given to her son years ago, but has been sitting forever. As you can see, it doesn't run. It has no title.

She'll hold on to it for as long as I want (she only lives five houses down). Once I get my others running, I'm wondering if yanking the engine and buying a titled frame would be worth the time and effort.

Possible cafe engine? Kickstarter only I think; I didn't look for an electric leg.

Forgive the image quality. I was using a camera that I'm not used to.

Yes, that's a crushed front left lower leg.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
You could likely apply for a title as if it were abandoned.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This is a tough one. I would assume an XR 250 or 350? The engine is a four stroke so it is a trail bike and not a CR. I am trying to date it by the tank but I cant tell if that is a dent or if that is the shape. I am also trying to guess by the exhaust but that looks after market. Next step is to date by the brakes. Anything larger than a 200 starting using disc brakes in the early 80's BUT the engines were all black on the XRs in the early 19080's. I don't think I got you any further than what you were.

Look on the neck to see if there is any type of badges to date and identify.

The engine will still need alot of work. I would also not recommend kicking it over anymore than you have to to check it.

I have 2 1976 Suzuki TC 125's One has a title and the running one doesn't I plan to someday do what you are planning to do and make one titled bike out of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Possibly XR200 (that one had the six speed tranny if I remember correctly) Of this age/condition, you could just buy a decent bike for less than it'd take to make this one good again. (I'd think anyhow)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get the VIN and call a honda dealership. It may be an old XL350-500. Looking at the current condition, I would stay away. There is no seat, light, body, title and looking at the rust the electrics may be ruined also. A chain, sprockets, exhaust and forks will likely cost as much as a similar style, complete bike.

·
Registered
785 Posts
take it, part it. $$$ ( maybe not a lot, but still)

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
im guessing it is a xr200

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Maybe it's a XL250r? Would have to be an older one to have drums...

(This is an 87)

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get the VIN and call a honda dealership. It may be an old XL350-500. Looking at the current condition, I would stay away. There is no seat, light, body, title and looking at the rust the electrics may be ruined also. A chain, sprockets, exhaust and forks will likely cost as much as a similar style, complete bike.

Not interested in a similar bike. I'm wondering if the engine would be useful in a cafe racer.

Oh, no, there's no way I'm interested in restoring this thing. Don't get me wrong. I'm looking for a tinkering project down the road.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
That's an XL tank, not an XR tank. Plus older XR's didn't have batteries. As far as what size, there should be a plate on the steering tube, it's probably painted over.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's an XL tank, not an XR tank. Plus older XR's didn't have batteries. As far as what size, there should be a plate on the steering tube, it's probably painted over.
I have an old (82 i think, could be 83) XR200, it definitely doesn't have that tank shape. Or a battery.

free is free right? if in a couple years you realize your never going to do anything with it then just give it to some one else.

·
Registered
835 Posts
the engines were all black on the XRs in the early 19080's.
Honda is still going to be making bikes in 19080?? I figured they would look different by then.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
These engines should have a displacement number stamped into them. That will tell you the size and I would say its an XL250 or more. 200 had single exhaust if I recall

·
Registered
723 Posts
Passenger pegs = XL. Size of engine looks like 250. Drum front brake puts it in the early '80s. If you don't want to mess with it, consider parting it out on Ebay or Craigslist. Others restoring old bikes would be interested in the parts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts