Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spirit of John ESV's request to pump out some thought provoking threads, here's mine. What makes you want to be a motorcyclist ? Me personally, I dunno. I have many different interests, all of which could occupy every minute of my free time if I chose. I got my bike b/c a couple of my friends had gotten them, and I thought it would be cool to ride with them. That was 3 years ago and I think I've ridden with them once. Also, my uncle (who is like one of my best friends) has been into bikes for as long as I can remember. As of right now though, I really dig getting together with the people I've met from here. (eg: the Rally, get-togethers, group rides etc) But that only makes up about 15% of my "motorcycle life". The rest is just me riding, but I'm still not sure why I'm compelled to do so. ???

What about you ??

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I have loved bikes since being a kid, I would always crane my neck in the back of the car so I could see them for as long as possible. However my mom was adamant that girls shouldn't ride bikes, and so was not best impressed when my dad bought me a 50cc bike at age 8.
I always had the bug after that, but it was only last year that I could afford a bike of my own. I had just come back from a 2 hour ride on the back of Stu's CBR600RR and decided that I was not having fun cramped up on the back of his bike so I was going to get one of my own. 2 days later I had my little SV. Now I don?t ever imagine myself without a bike, it is just too much fun. It is a feeling that I can?t describe to most people as they don?t get it ? but I know that I don?t have to describe it to you lot! ;D

J

·
0 Posts
I've always wanted one... I started riding dirt bikes at 10/11... and couldn't stop. I knew it was only a matter of time until I got a street bike. Almost got one at 18, and finally got one at 21.

There's nothing like it.. just knowing you can go 0-60 in 3... amazing..

Oh, and the chicks dig it!

·
Registered
571 Posts
i got into motorcycling last year because one guy at work renewed his liscence and the DMV had mistakenly put the M back on his liscence that he had let lapse. (he used to ride in his younger years but doesn't anymore.) me and another guy thought hey we can all get bikes and ride together. i had always thought about doing it, but this gave me an excuse. me and guy #2 did get our liscences and bikes while guy #1 did not. guy #2 and i have still to this day never ridden together because of things going on and other scheduling conflicts. meanwhile, i have met some of the greatest people to ride with and do so very frequently. i have put on over 26k miles in a year and a half and that is with a 4 month break from wrecking my first sv.

i absolutely love to ride. i truly think i have a two wheel fetish or something. i was big into cycling before i started into motorcycles and unfortunately my cycling has taken a back seat since. it is not the speed so much but the technical side of it. i don't really enjoy just blasting along on an interstate, but i love the challenge of a nice backroad. i have gotten out to see the countryside more than ever since i started this thing. it is amazing to be able to tell somebody that i rode 150 miles one way last sunday just to have lunch.

i love the people, sights, sounds and smells. you truly do see the world differently when you see from two wheels instead of in a car. you notice every little thing about the environment because it all affects you in some way. the small reflections off of a car that could move in your direction to the slight changes in temperature as you dip into a valley.

last sunday coming back from WV for lunch i was hit by a huge thunderstorm on thortons gap and had to stop at a gas station for half an hour while it passed. i got to talk to another biker that was stopped also. i got to watch an incredible lightning show and to see how much rain really can come down at one time. and even though some would call me crazy, i couldn't have cared less. others would see it as a major inconvenience to be driving in such circumstances. i saw it as a chance to take a break and enjoy the show.

i can't imagine my life without a motorcycle now. it has gotten a hold on me and it is not letting go.

·
Registered
137 Posts
To hang out at Slaves garage in 0 degree weather, sell him some bike parts, freeze my ass off, talk about motorcycles we wish we had, and stare at his SV hanging from the rafters?  Not necessarily in that order.

Naaawww.....I dunno.

Wait!  It just hit me.   The challenge, the sense of accomplishment, the never ending learning,....THE FUN!   ;D

When you need me to figure out the meaning of life? That'll cost Ya.

Rob

G

·
0 Posts
Ride through the Rockies at dawn, and you?ll know why I ride. Dodge a third SUV in the last mile of city traffic, and you?ll know why I ride. Grit your teeth and ride through a hail storm at 85mph and you?ll know why I ride. Smell the air after an afternoon rain and you?ll know why I ride.

Ride through snow, ride when it?s 0 degrees, ride when it?s 105 degrees?.Feel the temperature change as you pass a farmer?s field in a hollow in the black canyon, or crest a rise and drop into a sheltered mountain valley. Watch a golden eagle snatch a snake from the roadside next to you, or take a magpie to the chest at 65mph. Hear that little voice that tells you that death is around the corner, from time to time ignore it. Go from prairie to forests to tundra to desert in a day. Do any of these things and you will know why I ride.

A car is a way to get from point A to B sheltered from life?s sights, sounds, troubles and inconveniences. A motorcycle is a way to experience life in the raw.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i always wanted one...i was always holding back...then i slapped myself in the face and got my baby...
i love the freedom, the feeling that i am usally the fastest thing in the immediate area. i love the attention i get wheh people look at me or the bike. i love the girls who always want a ride ;D, i just love everything about the sport. it would be the same if i owned any other bike...but my heart lies with the sv... 8)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Originally, just like Slave's reasons. Now, just like RD's.

GMslave said:
I got my bike b/c a couple of my friends had gotten them, and I thought it would be cool to ride with them. That was 3 years ago and I think I've ridden with them once.

RobDog said:
The challenge, the sense of accomplishment, the never ending learning,....THE FUN!
Edit: I forgot about the genes until others posted it, but my mom's parents had a matching pair of Honda 350 dream(unsure of the year model) until I was nearly 10.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
For me it is the "ZONE"
The place where you shed every item in your daily routine.
The place where you merge man and machine into a groove.
The place where the senses are assaulted from all angles.
The place where focus and awareness are one.
The place where one walks off with a sense of accomplishment.

Why do people ride motorcycles?
Why do people downhill ski or snowboard?
Why do people climb mountains?
Why do people sky dive?
Why do people surf?
Why do people scuba dive?

Answer ... the totality of experiencing life at its fullest and this only comes with death waiting around the corner.
To be one with life is also to be one with death, it is there, we nod, we play, we pray and finally .... OOH SH*T!  ;D

When that day comes as it will for everyone, for me there will be no coulda, woulda, shoulda

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its a gene, or a disease. LOL Actually for me it is the sense of freedom on a bike. I agree with a lot of what the others are saying especially about that feeling you get when you drop down into an area where the temperature drops. Man that is an awesome feeling. To feel, smell, see, experience your environment in a way that feels like flying. There is nothing like riding. I have noticed that there are certain character differences between those who ride, and those who say its way to dangerous. The main difference being we who ride are a breed need to be free and live without fear of what may or may not happen. Just my two cents though. Oh and the 50 miles to the gallon sure does seem to appeal to my meager budget.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Originally, i got a bike because i started living off campus and a car is just way too expensive...and the fact that my roommates all had bikes...but after riding for a few months, i can't live without it...its the sense of freedom, the adrenaline, and the relaxation of it all...I could be pissed, depressed, or bored, and one ride can cure it. Its just a part of me now...ever since i wrecked, i had bike envy and anxiety for two whole years...I thought i'd get it out of my system in a few months...but it never left and now i'm on a SV ;D

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
It's a Spiritual Thing

Serenity, Solitude, and Meditation

Whether I'm on a group ride or in the foothills watching the sun come up ten miles from the closest human being, riding gives me a much need moment of peace and isolation. Operating the motorcycle safely and efficiently takes so much of my awareness that it purges me of all other thoughts, distractions and worries that have accumulated over the previous days.

My shoulders and neck loose their deathgrip of knots, my focus is brought in tight as a laser beam onto the here and now. There is no cell phone, no PA blaring my name with yet another inane question, no toddlers temper tantrum. Just a satisfying mechanical cadence and growl that drowns out the world outside. I am alone with myself to regroup. The speed I drive is irrelevant, be it 10 mph in rush hour or 90 mph at 5 AM on the parkway as I try to make to work on time, when in motion, I am at peace, calm, lucid and serene.

As I become a better rider, I am loosing the fear of throwing my body into the ride, developing a rhythm and tempo of movement in the saddle that wears out my body as it refreshes my soul. The staccato pop of deceleration from my V-Twin engine through the slip on is my "Om", the rapid fire rowing through the gearbox as I travel the hills and turns is my Tai ji quan.

Stepping off of the bike is often a bittersweet moment. I am often drained physically, fatigued, drenched, and sore. But my mind is unburdened, able to see things calmly and without the jaundice of attitude that has built up through a never ending series of aggravations.

I am again ready to face the world that has tried so hard to beat me down.

edited because I forgot the spell check

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I've always been a gearhead. Before I was in grade school I would help my dad work on his car. I wanted to know every wrench size, what all the different tools were for, how the engine worked, how the ignition made spark, etc. My dad would bring home small engines for me to disassemble and play with. Cars or motorcycles or model airplanes and boats, I've always loved them all. Then I built a minibike (with my dad's help, of course). That was it, two wheels were more fun than four. We lived where there was very little traffic so I got to drive when I was about 12 (with my dad next to me, of course). I could ride my minibike and go-kart (also home built) safely. When I was 14 I got hold of a non-running 1947 Indian Super Chief. By the time I was old enough for a driver's license (15 in those days) we had the bike running. That just confirmed my love of two-wheeled motorized vehicles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have never been exposed to motorcycles my whole life. My dad used to have one when I was a kid, but my mom hated it. I have an uncle that wrecked on his and lost his leg, so I guess I grew up with the mentality that they were death traps. I started watching motorcycle racing on tv several years ago and got addicted. Then my a close friend showed up at my house with a Ducat 750 Monster. Then it hit me... I could actually own one. I loved the V-Twin sound. I was hooked immediately. When I buy something major like that I always do a lot of research and a lot of thinking first. I'm not an impulse buyer. After some time I decided that the SV was for me.

Every time I walk into my garage and see that bike it puts a smile on my face. I have been on a couple of long rides and I have never had so much fun. I went on one recently with my dad and a couple of friends and I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. I commute 45 minutes to work every day and the ride is so much more enjoyable. I see, smell, hear and feel things that I never could in a cage.

The only thing that I regret about motorcycling is not buying my bike sooner. This is what I look like every time I ride... ;D

·
Registered
127 Posts
i was kinda born into it. my dad has ridden a bike since he was a kid, so naturally when i was little i would go on many rides with him. soon as i could i bought a bike, and eventually worked up to my svs. its mostly the sense of freedom that i enjoy. riding with the sun warming your back and the wind on your face. leaning into the corners and throwing the bike around to get through them. plus its nice to be able to lane split between the assholes driving next to eachother at 5 under the speed limit on the expressway!  ::)

zoom zoom

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have been around dirt bikes since I was a kid, but I always loved bikes regardless of dirt or street. I got a late start, rode dirt bikes some as a kid, but then after college and other reasons along with getting married and the wife didn't like bikes at the time (too dangerous) but now that she is the ex I have a dirt bike and the sv. They are just so much fun to get on. The day can be rotten but when you go for a ride you forget everything except what you are doing. (At least you better if you want to survive while riding on 2 wheels.) I have heard many people who ride say their bikes are their therapists. I find them relaxing, from riding trails on the dirt bike to riding the roads or track on the sv.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The love of two wheels. Just watching someone do a simple turn when I was younger made me want to do that so bad.

One a nice back road - flying past all the trees - it just looks like you are dancing with wheels. Switching from side to side in a rush its like a tango with the road.

Now that I own one, things are different. I love the way my garage smells (does this make me strange?) I love seeing the two little headlights casting a reflection of the sliver of light that makes it to them.

Most of all, I love what it stands for. For most of the older crowd, they have left this long ago, but this is my first motorized mode of transportation that I bought on my own... I have never had a car. I live on a bicycle for year before this.

I love how unique I feel when I am driving around and don't blend in with the SUV crowd. Plus I am coming to find out that the friendships that come are just great!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Something I wrote in my blog a year ago:

It's a little like trying to describe the ocean to someone who's never seen water, or a flower to someone who's never seen colors; you can give them a one-dimensional image, but you can't really explain it fully. Some people scale cliffs, some ski down mountains of ice and snow, others jump out of airplanes, still others dive beneath the waves, we (us motorcyclists) ride.

We may be drawn to this pursuit for it's technical mastery. Riding a steed made from metal, rubber and plastic; controlling the tempermental and sometimes dangerous machine. To find the perfect line through a corner, the skill of hanging off; pavement rushing by inches from our knee. The feeling of leaning into a curve at speed, aiming for the exit and the rush of acceleration as you roll into the throttle. We dance on a razor's edge, seeking the perfect apex.

Others of us approach the sport with a Zen like philosophy. The wind caressing us, carrying with it the smells of nature. The freedom of a winding road, banking and swooping without wings; flying yet remaining earthbound. We dream of far off places and take aim with our bikes for the journey. We ride for the vista unfolding before us; the everchanging landscape of humanity or nature's panorama. For us it is the anticipation of not knowing what's around the next corner, yet being drawn to it on our bikes.

We are the last cowboys, independent, wandering among the landscape.
We ride for sport, we ride for the journey, we ride for the sheer pleasure of it.

~~~
More recently it was the feeling coming down off 12,300ft Independence Pass, in the midst of a thunderstorm through the twisties in the rain. Seeing Aspen below and thinking damn this is fun.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
i always have and always will love bikes.before i could ride a dirtbike,i'd ride on the back of my dads triumph bonneville 750.I started riding dirtbikes at 10,finally got a street bike when i turned 17(last feb.)It's just fun.The thrill of it,it's just something i've always enjoyed....

i miss it already,i've only been laid up for 5 days and im going crazy! :mad:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've always loved sports vehicles. Speed and g-force are  great thrils and a bike is the ultimate in both of these feelings. A fast, good handling car is great and I've had cars that do those well but a bike is way faster than any car I can afford and the use of all your skills and senses while cornering is much more involving on a bike.

Also, as others have spoken, the freedom on a bike is second to none. Just gear up, hop on and go. Find a nice back road, take a few corners and open it up on the straightaway. Nothing better. Thanks, Mike.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts