Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we all know you can toss the SV650 around without much effort and to tell you the truth not having this ability is what haunts me when thinking about getting a new bike. So, what makes a bike more flickable than another? Two bikes I would like to compare are the SV1000S and the 05gixxer 1000. The gixxer is shorter, lower, thinner and lighter than the SV1000S. So does that make it more flickable? I always hear stories about how SS bikes are more effort to flick around than the SV650. Aren't SS bikes designed to take turns and handle tight areas? I found this link from a local dealer page comparing the specs of the two above mentioned bikes, hopefull it still works.

http://www.chicagocycle.com/new_vehicle_compare.asp?sid=06170771X7K18K2005J1I34I54JPMQ273R0&veh1=14031&mfg2=4&veh2=14027&go=Go#compare

Under200

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
weight, chassis geometry and frame/fork strength.
It's often considered that the "first" flickable bikes were the Yamaha Deltabox bikes... they had good geometry but used a revolutionary frame that all moden bikes have adopted since...

I think modern SS bikes are plenty flickable.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Things that affect flickability:
  • Mass
  • Center of Mass
  • Angular Momentum (Inertia) of the engine, wheels, and various othe rotating bits
  • Chassis Geometry (including tire geometry)
  • Suspension
  • Gas tank position and amount of gasoline in the gas tank.
  • Handlebar leverage.
  • Seating position
    [/list:u]

I'm sure there are more. But, for your situation, discussing flickability certainly won't give you a feel for the bike's handling properties and how you percieve them.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
ya know... i just rode an 05 Dayton 995 not long ago and was surprised how agile it was for a 500+ pound machine. The owner told me he thought it was easy to handle bcause of the center of gravity which is was a little higher than some bikes. After thinking about it... that may well have been reason for it seeming smaller and lighter... it fell right into corners for me for most part and was a fun ride.

But... here is omething else to consider... riding style. I wonder if some of those who complain about how hard a bike is to flip around in a corner are doing the counter-balance steering method (body leaned to outside of the bike and turn) vx. the hanging off style or upright seating position style? To me, it seems easier to make a bike lean over if my weight is helping to move it over. But this is just my opinion.

I am sure there many factors that play into making a bike "flickable" though :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I think center of gravity/mass and handlebars make the biggest difference, my old xv920r is quite flickable, wide bars, much lower center of gravity than the SV or alomst any sportbike for that matter, it's quite flickable for a bike that weighs 505, the only thing it's really got against is steering geometry

·
Registered
110 Posts
there are a ton of factors. But what makes it worse is that flickable is a subjective term; one man's flickable is another's twitchy etc.

Seriously though, if you are thinking about an 05 gix1k as an upgrade from your SV, and are worried about handling... you should stop worrying 8)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
+1, many, many factors

If you want a shock go test ride a new Gold Wing. 800# and flickable, which I assume is a combination of low center of gravity and suspension geometry. A really amazing experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts