Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get some new knee guards to be worn under my pants, and have been looking at the Knox Cross, Thor Quadrants, and Dainese V.

Something with velcro straps only, unless someone can talk me into knee guards that are a slip in design. Don't want to get too hot.

So what kind do you use and what do you like about them? Please indicate whether you wear them over or under pants.

Thanx!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
I've been using the Alpinestars reflex knee/shin armor. At first I was skeptical of the top of the knee not having a strap but they stay in place under pants very well, especially with boots on. Not having the strap above the knee makes the much easier to put on/off without dropping your pants.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep, ive been going back and forth between 2 straps or 3 straps....cant make up mah mind.

Those Thor Quadrants i 'think' have angled elastic straps that pull the knee part towards your knee.

Everytime i see a 3 strap i like it ends up being a youth size.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I've been using the Alpinestars reflex knee/shin armor. At first I was skeptical of the top of the knee not having a strap but they stay in place under pants very well, especially with boots on. Not having the strap above the knee makes the much easier to put on/off without dropping your pants.

I love these. Definitely saved my knees in my crash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My friend uses the alpine stars reflex armor pictured above, and suggested them to me after his last crash. I'll go that route if/when I get knee pads

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the money you can't beat the Shift Enforcer knee guards. Found a review here, and for $15 off Amazon it was worth the try.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/shift-enforcer-knee-guards/

They're 2-strap and fit great under my Shift kevlar jeans. Based on the pic, they seem very similar in design to the A* reflex armor.
i was looking at those too, but i dont trust webbikeworld anymore, they said the OGK helmet was one of the quietest they ever tested, so i bought one and now im about to go deaf...its the loudest helmet ive ever had by far.

Those Shifts are on sale for $9.99 right now (holy ****), can't really go wrong at that price.

After looking at expensive knee guards compared to cheap ones, i don't really see any justification in materials to merit the purchase of anything more than $39.00

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was at Lowes today and was looking at the knee pads, so i thought to myself, what's the difference between these and guards designed for a motorcycle?

Has anyone ever tried Lowes knee pads and been down with them before?

Honestly they do not look much different in design from knee guards without the shin protection, albeit maybe a little wider.

·
Registered
661 Posts
i was looking at those too, but i dont trust webbikeworld anymore, they said the OGK helmet was one of the quietest they ever tested, so i bought one and now im about to go deaf...its the loudest helmet ive ever had by far.

Those Shifts are on sale for $9.99 right now (holy ****), can't really go wrong at that price.

After looking at expensive knee guards compared to cheap ones, i don't really see any justification in materials to merit the purchase of anything more than $39.00
True about wbworld as they also named the Gmax helmet as one of the best out there:lmao:. Regardless, I have found lots of cool stuff from their reviews that I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise. I also like the fact they'll put some miles on whatever they're testing before issuing a review. So far, they don't seem to just regurgitate the manufacturer's advertising unlike most bike mags and the user reviews help a lot.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I also ride with the AlpineStars Reflex knee pads, they are cheap price wise and effective. My fiancee rides with the Forcefield ones, they are nice too (ive never worn them).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok thanks for everyone's input about knee pads, they all look good.

The Alpinestars Reflex seems to be popular and have been verified to protect when going down, are cheap and have been reassured they stay in place even with 2 straps.

So i got the Thor Quadrants which are very similar, but have a smaller profile and look like a bit of an improvement over the Astars with the patella donut that goes over the knee cap and doesnt have any exposed openings between knee and shin.

thanks for everyone's input, if there are more recommendations keep them coming though. You never know how the Thors will end up, and I'm sure others would also appreciate opinions about what is working as good gear.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just received these knee guards in the mail and they are great ! Light, good fitting, comfortable and regular fitting jeans can go over them.

The velcro straps are a bit long though. I read somewhere that they were more comfortable if the left and right sides were swapped around, so i tried it and it's true.

I am soooooo glad i didn't spend $75-125 on other knee guards which are essentially the same : plastic , foam and velcro

The only thing i would suggest as an upgrade is using knee guards with 3 straps instead of 2, the area above the knee feels vulnerable with the 2 strap system. I've never had any injuries above the knee though, from riding half pipes to bmx, or just running around like a dumbass as a little kid...so i dont think this area is really exposed to impact.

·
Registered
353 Posts
These under kevlar jeans. Tube and single strap just below knee. Stay in place and not too hot. Reasonably comfortable too.

I have these as well, and I too wear them under kevlar-reinforced jeans. (For those times when I am not (a) in leathers or (b) commuting, in which case I have overpants that have armor in them.)

I plan on replacing them with a set of the RS Taichi ones one of these days; my dad has a set of the RS ones and they were incredibly comfortable. The Knox ones aren't necessarily uncomfortable, just not as comfortable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts