Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to paint my passenger pegs to match my black frame. I know people on here have done it, so what kinda paint did you guys use?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i used krylon semi-matt black.  looks pretty good i don't have pics as of yet though trying to get my tail pieces before i take any pictures.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
besides taking the pegs off is there any prep work i need to do before starting to spray?

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
blacktape said:
besides taking the pegs off is there any prep work i need to do before starting to spray?
Scrub them down to remove any grease/wax/crud. Sand them down lightly with 180 or 220 wet/dry and wash again. Rinse well to remove any soap residue. Paint the whole bike yellow. Follow directions on the can. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MagpieTear said:
Scrub them down to remove any grease/wax/crud. Sand them down lightly with 180 or 220 wet/dry and wash again. Rinse well to remove any soap residue. Paint the whole bike yellow. Follow directions on the can. Enjoy.
:eek:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
ewww yellow is gross

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hahaha...ya yellow is just kinda eww...but thats a whole other topic of something else.. :p

ok thanks for the help...im sure ill get to it sometime this week, im going to have to develop some patients when painting....i never wait until things are dry and mess them up. :-\

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
blacktape said:
hahaha...ya yellow is just kinda eww...but thats a whole other topic of something else.. :p

ok thanks for the help...im sure ill get to it sometime this week, im going to have to develop some patients when painting....i never wait until things are dry and mess them up.  :-\
i suffer the same fate thats why my pipe side chick peg has a smudge on it. but i'm gonna pull them of and send them in to get p-coated when i get my wood craft rear sets.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
blacktape said:
how much do you think that will run you?
not really sure hopefully not alot seeing as i'm "a balla on a budget" but i ride with a kid that works at a powder coating place so i'm hoping if i get a few things done at a time he'll hook a brotha up. its gonna be quite a bi more than just spray painting it but its alot more durable.

actually i was thinking if i can find a cheap electric stove some place i might just p-coat them my self seeing as you can buy powder coating supplies cheap. i was looking at this kit http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/pr...DUCT&iMainCat=459&iSubCat=460&iProductID=5572

figure if i coat a fe things it will save me lots of $$ plus i could use it on other things besides bike parts.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
only thing is i have to build a spray booth and then get the protective gear. but i can steal a suit from my job (they make pharmaceuticals) all I'd need is a hood. but a spray both wouldn't cost much all you need is an exhaust fan and a few pieces of ply wood to make a cheap spray booth.

so all together to for the whole set up maybe $200-300? but even then its still cost effective cuz if i get a big enough oven i can do my fork tubes and stuff to.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well there are always other fees that come up starting a project like that...you might be talking around 500 +...

im wondering if its only like 100 bucks to get those pegs powder coated..if not cheaper...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i know svrace shop charges $30? for anodizing the wood crafts. so i'd think it be some where around there to p-coat the rear pegs. but i'm a diy kinda kind so i'd rather have the ability to do it my self.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i can understand that one...

i just know my limits and dont like to f- stuff up...haha..

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I had my driving light brackets and grab bar powdercoated for under $40 IIRC. Concidering the nasty fumes and chemicals given off by the curing, and the lack of an extra oven at my house to dedicate to curing, it was worth it to pay someone else to do it.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
very true.  i can see it that way as well.  spray painting them didn't look bad at all so i'd do that first.  especially if you don't have a passenger often.  but my girl friend always ride with me so i'm worried about durability.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts