Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Walking forwards/backwards with motorcycle.

I tightened my chain, afterwards thought it was a bit too tight so I loosened it up a bit. 2cm up/down, so should be fine, but now I hear this noise.
Should I be worried? Is anything going to break?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
2cm is rather tight. It's the lower limit of the chain spec. I used to set mine at 1"(2.54cm) or a bit looser. That sounds like your chain. Loosen the chain to a full 1" and see if the noise goes away. If you had the chain slack less than 2cm, it was way too tight. Not good for the countershaft or sprockets. If it's not the chain slack, then are you sure the axle is aligned side to side equally? Did you adjust the slack at the tightest spot along the chain run?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Also check the alignment. Is the chain is trying to climb the sprocket then it could make a sound like that.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I also think its the chain. It sounds like a rope grinding against the hull of a ship, breaking tension and making that noise. Loosen the chain up and see if it still happens.

Set it to 1.2" slack (top to bottom movement in multiple areas) and lube it thoroughly, moving every link up and down to make sure it moves relatively freely.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Also, how do you have the wheel off the ground when you're adjusting? You want to make sure you've got it up by the swingarm so there's weight on it (as opposed to being supported by the footpegs or something). We made the mistake of doing that once on my friend's bike, so while it looked to be in spec while suspended, when we put it back on the ground, the chain ended up being WAY too tight, and sounded just like yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts