Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was practicing some low speed manuevers in a stadium parking lot and decided I would see if I could touch down at 25mph or so. I mean actually hanging completely off the bike (head, shoulders, and all). I got my knee oh sooo close but kept chickening out. It is much more difficult to find the balance point at this speed. Anyone else tried this?

On the other hand I noticed that the better you get at going "slow" the easier it is to go fast. I'm guessing because you have to be much smoother.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Depends on how thick my knee sliders are :D
Even at 25MPH, are you sure you wanna put a knee down in jeans?
The slowest I've put a knee down is 0MPH with the kickstand down. I'm guessing that's what you mean by cheating.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It depends on the person (long legs/flexible), body position and the bike (low to the ground, geometry). I've done it in parking lots, couldn't have been much faster than what you're describing if at all. I'm lanky though.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
parking lots are dangerous to do it in. i know from experience. the first time my bike (and i) decided to make an unscheduled appointment with the ground was while i was doing just what you described accept i was going much slower. parking lots tend to be dirtier than street do to less and lower speed traffic.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i got really close to dropping a knee in my msf final test... the riding coach almost flipped...I was on a vento 125 cruiser type thingy that had like a two foot seat heighth... I was just having fun, i scraped the shi# out of the pegs and was hanging off the bike...everybody in the class cheered...id say it was maybe 15 mph...but maybe thats cheating cuz the bike only weighed about 200 lbs ...

·
Registered
537 Posts
uh...parking lot not condusive to knee dragging. they're the places where all ill-maintained cages leak fluid and make for an overall shitty surface for traction.

be prepared to lay it down at least if you're attempting in the lot. balance point? this ain't wheelies...

got really close to dropping a knee in my msf final test... the riding coach almost flipped...I was on a vento 125 cruiser type thingy that had like a two foot seat heighth... I was just having fun, i scraped the shi# out of the pegs and was hanging off the bike...
i'm surprised they didn't fail you for "unsafe act." have fun on your own bike, not scrape the shit out of their bike they have to service and maintain... ::)

·
Registered
270 Posts
please...that bike had been dropped and scraped more times than my weed pipe back in highschool...but you are right im lucky he didnt fail me for that...he did let me know that though...the coaches were scraping almost every turn when they were doing demos...although its kind of hard not to on a bike that low, and lite...that class was great... one of the students had a cbr 900 rr by the time the riding portion came and he almost dropped it like six times on the way in and out of the lot...i pray for him still today.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mstingray said:
uh...parking lot not condusive to knee dragging. they're the places where all ill-maintained cages leak fluid and make for an overall s**tty surface for traction.

be prepared to lay it down at least if you're attempting in the lot. balance point? this ain't wheelies...

i'm surprised they didn't fail you for "unsafe act." have fun on your own bike, not scrape the s**t out of their bike they have to service and maintain... ::)
Actually where I live the parking lots have a much better road surface than the roadways, and provide WAY more traction, even with the splotches of oil and occasional sand.

There IS a balance point. If you lean too far over without enough throttle at too low of a speed you will just tip over. Finding the edge of that envelope is just another balance point.

-josh

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
mstingray said:
i'm surprised they didn't fail you for "unsafe act."  have fun on your own bike, not scrape the s**t out of their bike they have to service and maintain... ::)
actually my msf coaches were encouraging us to scrap the pegs. although i was the only one who did. i took it with a bunch of pansies

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
B.a. said:
actually my msf coaches were encouraging us to scrap the pegs. although i was the only one who did. i took it with a bunch of pansies
Uhhhh maybe they were just new to riding? My 1st time on a bike was at the msf and the last thing i was thinking abouit was scraping pegs. ::)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts