Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
The Kawasaki twin? There's been a couple of recent threads discussing it, but it seems to be getting mixed reviews from the SVR brain trust. Search?

:)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Beaner said:
Hopefully it'll be as good/better than the SV, we all win when they start competing to make a better product.
+1 ;D

·
Registered
283 Posts
It looks like a good tough bike.

I also hope that it'll be better than the SV so Suzuki will have to upgrade.

Competition is goooooooood.

S

·
0 Posts
It looks like hell. Looks like a V-Twin Bumble Bee that mated with a Roach. Sorry, but that's what it looks like.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Steel frame. Parallel twin.

Sure looks like that rear swingarm is steel and not aluminum. Either way - I think the SV's status is secure for another year.

'Improve?' Besides adjustable suspension - what else would you want out of the SV that wouldn't ruin it's budget-bike placement? We've already got fuel injection, a hyper-stiff frame, great handling and a great motor.

There's a reason Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki haven't toppled it yet - and it's not for lack of trying. The 599, the FZ-6, and now this. Gimme a break. The Honda and Yamaha are forgettable bikes - with the Honda already gone. I have yet to see an FZ-6 in our showroom - or have someone even seriously ASK for one. This Kawi is no different. That bike would simply help hold the floor in place in American showrooms.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like the way it looks, kinda like a MV/Benneli. However the powerplant sucks. As far as I ever heard parallel twins are weak. They don't provide the low end torque of a V-twin and they don't have the top of a inline 4. So what good is it? The worst of both worlds ??? On the plus side I like the looks and it is nice to see that someone is making a bike that looks cool and is not too powerful. This would be a great beginner bike and still looks radical enough to keep new riders off 600cc+SS bikes as starters.

Under200

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Well It would be nice it Suzuki would fix all those known problems for 06 or 07. Like the mirrors, suspension, update the rear swing arm and all bike should come with the chin spoiler/belly pan plastic from the factory. And maybe bump the gas tank up to like 4.8 gals or more for those longer weekend days.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I guess I don't get it.....update what? Useless mirrors on a sportbike is like peanut butter & jelly. A larger tank would add weight way up high - affecting handling.

As for a chin spoiler - heck - not everyone wants one (like me) - so having an option to add it seems logical.

Ok - so I think the bike is fine as-is and ripe for personalization.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Ruefus said:
I guess I don't get it.....update what? Useless mirrors on a sportbike is like peanut butter & jelly. A larger tank would add weight way up high - affecting handling.

As for a chin spoiler - heck - not everyone wants one (like me) - so having an option to add it seems logical.

Ok - so I think the bike is fine as-is and ripe for personalization.
Well it may not be important to you but to others it can be. And I just checked out the accesories for the ER-6n. They have optional mirrors that look a hell of alot better then the OEM ones do. Wonder it they will fit the SV??

Also I think the main target of this bike is first time female riders and not males and not the SV it's self. I'd put it above the Blast and Ninja 250/500 and below the SV650 with a lower seat height for the shorter new female riders. If you read their "The Bike For You?" piece on their site it comes across as a female driven market tool. The Ninja 250/500 are old and dated IMHO and worth upgrading or deleting.

:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree. It's no competition for the SV. Also look how high the bars are. The SV is much sportier.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Novadesigns said:
From what I've been reading the Kawi Z750 was supposed to be the class competitor to the SV650. Although I don't think its doing very well either.
It's not. We've got two at the shop - and had them for quite some time without really much of anyone bothering to care. The Katana 750 gets more action - Seriously.

It doesn't help that it's a butt-ugly UJM of the highest order. Capable as all get out - but not an inspiring bike at all.

Fact is - America reacts to cruisers or full-fairing sportbikes. Opposite extremes, if you will. Naked anything is a minor niche, regardless of how goo-goo eyed the magazines get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts