Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at one with 16,000 miles. Is this too high for this bike? Generally what would be considered high mileage on a bike?

·
Registered
109 Posts
16,000 isn't very high for the SV's if it was taken care of. My 05 has 16,000 on it now (bought early last year with 8,000) with no problems...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Are you looking at mine, because if not, you should.....;D

I've actually got 17k on it now, but it still runs like the day I got it. It's all about proper maintenance on any vehicle. If it has been maintained, short of a factory defect, it should run for a long time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought mine pre-owned in the fall of 06 with 1,500 mi on it, now at the begining of my 3rd season it has just under 20k on it. From this I conclude that if you buy from a guy who only rides 500 mi a year you could expect to purchase an 03 with only 3k miles on it. If I'd bought mine new in 03 & you were buying from me you could expect the bike to have about 54k mi on it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I bought mine pre-owned in the fall of 06 with 1,500 mi on it, now at the begining of my 3rd season it has just under 20k on it. From this I conclude that if you buy from a guy who only rides 500 mi a year you could expect to purchase an 03 with only 3k miles on it. If I'd bought mine new in 03 & you were buying from me you could expect the bike to have about 54k mi on it.
True, I bought my 03 a year ago with 9k on it. I'm at 17k now.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Original owner of an '06 with 36,000km (22,000mi) and running fine!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I am looking at one with 16,000 miles. Is this too high for this bike? Generally what would be considered high mileage on a bike?
4k/yr is average milage, 16k on an 03 would be considered low milage

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's around the time I really noticed the cheap rear shock being fairly clapped out. No big deal. Still ran it for another 20,000 miles.

Started noticing the steering stem bearings and cush-drive rubbers could definitely stand to be replaced around 30-35K

Valve clearances didn't run out of spec until around 38K

When I get the funds together I'll be replacing the steering stem, wheel (F&R), swingarm, and shock linkage bearings + cush rubbers @ around 42K

I've never owned a bike that demanded such little maintenance outside of what's reccommended. ****...I didn't even have to replace the fork seals until 38K

1 - 10 of 10 Posts