Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey All,

i'm new here on this site and very new to road trippin on my SV.
i have a 06S and i'm looking at luggage for it.

i really don't like the hard bags, i find they make the bike look like crap..what other bags should i look at?
there's also the price issue...i work for a skateboard company and very rarely pay retail now so i'm looking for a deal if you know what i mean, just one other thing i bought my bike brand new and only brand new parts and accessories will go on it.

anyhoo if i was heading out for say 2-3 days would a tail bag and backpack be more than enough or should i also get saddlebags??

thanks in advance!!
peace

ride safe, but don't forget to enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Soft saddlebags are cheap and not hold quite a bit more than a backpack, they'll be loads more comfortable!

Check out Nelson Rigg and Cortech. I have the Nelson Rigg CL-950 myself...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Soft saddlebags are cheap and not hold quite a bit more than a backpack, they'll be loads more comfortable!

Check out Nelson Rigg and Cortech. I have the Nelson Rigg CL-950 myself...
*and* the soft are cheaper. +1 for Nelson Rigg. I have the CL-850s, they're huge and carried enough clothes for my wife and me for almost a week!

·
Registered
41 Posts
The hard bags may be ugly (its a personal thing) if you do any amount of road tripping you will very likely be going to hard bags anyway. Messing with softies, backpacks, etc. gets to be a pain after awhile, and the hard cases start looking better and better....before you know it, you will be drooling at bikes sporting the massive top and side cases.

You can find that out yourself, or ask any of the many sport tourers here and learn from their experiences....just get the cases. :)

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
For a few day's road trippin, I'd go with a 10 or 14 liter tankbag, plus a decent-sized tailbag. For a week or more, I'd add a pair of saddlebags. I hate using a backpack, but would want to use my camelback on a trip, anyway.

I have the complete set of Cortech sport bags, including the Super14 tankbag, and like them a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
For a 2-3 day trip a tail bag and tank bag are more than enough. I would avoid backpacks, after a few hours they will start to wear you down from carrying the weight.

I used Cortech tank and tail bags on my SV. I also have some soft Nelson Rigg saddlebags for longer trips. On my F650 I have hard top and side cases and don't know why I waited so long to go this route.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I got that Icon Urban tank bag that converts into a backpack. Looks like it can hold quite a bit (most likely enough for 2-3 days when packing light). There's really big tail bags out there that I know would more than suffice for that length of time. Of course, I can fit a week's worth of clothing into a carry-on bag, so it's probably just that I try to carry only what I need.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just tried out my cortech luggage set yesterday. I have the saddles, tail and mini tank bag. I was surprised how much I could fit in there and still be comfortable. One note about the saddlebags though, make sure you put the passenger pegs down when using them. I learned the hard way and now have a small hole in the bottom of each of my brand new saddlebags.

I hate riding with a backpack. Mine catches too much wind and makes my back sweat. But a tail bag alone probably isnt enough room for 2-3 days. It all depends on if you are taking a pair of shoes, rain gear, etc.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
anyhoo if i was heading out for say 2-3 days would a tail bag and backpack be more than enough or should i also get saddlebags??
ditch the backpack idea for a long trip. you'll be sick of it wayyyy before you reach your destination.

some people use big tall tankbags, and they'll hold a lot. but you should think about your riding position and whether or not it would bug you to have that big honking thing sitting in front of you. I can tolerate a smallish tank bag, but even then, it annoys me to have it sitting there. no way I could do a trip with one of the big ones.

IMO, if you're on a budget, I'd go for a soft tail bag...shop for one that you can add matching saddlebags to later. I've made the cortech sport tail bag work for a 4 day/3 night trip. depends on what you're doing when you get to your destination, and whether or not you're ok with wearing something twice (I'd always wear jeans twice, for instance). travel size deoderant and toothpaste and stuff like that. canvas sneakers pack up pretty tight (converse chuck taylors).

what's your budget? or have you thought about that yet?

if you find something you like, post it up here...I'm sure one of us has tried it at some point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys!!

not really sure what my budget is yet!!
as for wearing the same thing more than once, no problem as long as it's not underwear, sock or t-shirts!! jeans, hoodies etc are not a problem!!
i'm the kind of guy who likes to feel clean....i'll even have a shower in the morning before hitting the gym......yeah i know 'nut job'.....

anyway i'm still looking around, most likely go with the tail bag and see how much i can get into it...and work from there..

thanks again guys,
enjoy the ride
peace

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
What's enough luggage? Enough to carry everything you have to haul.
Ya gotta realize also that if the SO is coming as a passenger then no matter how much space you have available you will probably still need more room to carry gear ;D

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I forgot to mention that I got ALL that luggage on my bike from www.newenough.com for $112 delivered. It's all Nelsen-Rigg gear.

Watch that site for deals. If you're patient, and don't mind that your gear doesn't match (I got lucky), it will serve you well.

I also own several pieces of riding gear from that site. Again, killer deals, but none of my gear matches.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I got that Icon Urban tank bag that converts into a backpack. Looks like it can hold quite a bit (most likely enough for 2-3 days when packing light). There's really big tail bags out there that I know would more than suffice for that length of time. Of course, I can fit a week's worth of clothing into a carry-on bag, so it's probably just that I try to carry only what I need.
I have packed everything we need for a weekend trip(friday night through sunday night) for myself and the SO in this tankbag.

I could see it holding enough for 4-5 days for a single person. Of course, carrying it behind you will make it easier on the rider, and it's why I'd love to pick up a tailbag/saddlebag combo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts