Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

621 - 640 of 656 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
$18?!

That's a helluva great deal for what you got.

Always liked the SV. Good to hear it can be improved even further relatively easily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mostly cosmetic.
LED turn signals // OES frame sliders // Fender eliminator
Pazzo levers // CRG mirrors // Rizoma bar // grips // vinyl tape
Tech spec tank grips // Werkes slip on // Evotech exhaust hanger

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
It works much better than the stock one. Stiffer but actually has dampening unlike the stock one. It was like a pogo stick. Almost a true bolt in. It's not a Penske but I paid $18 for the shock and had the paint left over from my kid's Honda Shadow.

I didn't get to play with it much because I found my registration and inspection both out of date. With a "stay at home" order in Pennsylvania, probably not the best time to be ridin dirty.
I've read they can be tricky to install, especially if the bike has abs (because of the pump). What was your experience like?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't get to play with it much because I found my registration and inspection both out of date. With a "stay at home" order in Pennsylvania, probably not the best time to be ridin dirty.
Today I finally ahem legalized my '19, after perhaps borrowing the other bike's plate for a bit. Most DMVs are shuttered here in MN, but I found a AAA with a drive-thru license bureau... After three days of hours sitting in line (Tuesday their internet went down), it's a thing I did with my bike today that doesn't really necessitate a photo.

Locally some people believe law enforcement is going gently on things like registration, because it can be a PITA to renew.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mostly cosmetic.
That's looking quite smart, pahhhoul. I like the stripe work on the rear tail, as something different. And removing the passenger pegs cleans it up further. I'm contemplating tank grips that don't break up the two-tone color scheme of the X... :unsure:

·
Registered
926 Posts
On my new-to-me 2017 I installed an '08 R6 master cylinder and went to stainless steel brake lines while I was at it.

DO you think for sure this would be a straight swap, I already have stainless brakelines and I want to put my 4 piston calipers back on, but I also want a better reservoir to drive the 4 piston brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mostly cosmetic.
That's a VERY handsome SV. Love the tail section. Similar to my concept... only I like yours better. Haha.:eek::love:
They're an ongoing obsession... little customizations to make it souly yours :cool:

20200406_185100.jpg 20200406_185046.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine doesn't have ABS. It was almost as simple as unbolting the old one and bolting this one in. It's tight at the top where the res just touches the plastic.

I did take off the entire linkage and greased it since grease is quite rare in Japan obviously, but that was all I removed other than the side panels. The hardest part was getting the shock in there. I had mine on an ATV jack, lowered the swing arm as far as I could, slid the shock above the chain guard (take it off, it'll make it a bit easier) and the underside rear fender. Put the shock in it's hole but it won't go the whole way in until you raise the swingarm up some. I did it alone but a second set of hands would be helpful. And maybe a small jack for the swingarm. I put the top bolt in but didn't tighten it just to hold the shock in. Then I put the linkage all together, and did find that the rear shock bolt would clear the dogbones but barely. I'm talking like .005" clearance and that's if the dogbones stay centered (they have the ability to slide side to side a little). I did grind maybe .050" total off the bolt and nut and used blue Loctite.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Today I finally ahem legalized my '19, after perhaps borrowing the other bike's plate for a bit. Most DMVs are shuttered here in MN, but I found a AAA with a drive-thru license bureau... After three days of hours sitting in line (Tuesday their internet went down), it's a thing I did with my bike today that doesn't really necessitate a photo.

Locally some people believe law enforcement is going gently on things like registration, because it can be a PITA to renew.
I did mine online. I did ride my Triumph some but I understand they are cracking down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I probably don't fit in with the majority of SV riders. I like long extended rides and carrying all my camping gear. I came off dual sports and ADV bikes and have been riding for about 43 years. The SV motor is one of my all time favorites, that along with a fairly upright seating position, low weight, minimal plastic and great aesthetics make the perfect bike for me. More then 45hp and less then 90hp is perfect for my riding. I don't enjoy commuting, freeways or canyon racing but love to get away from traffic and people and take all the backroads and highways that are less traveled and go camping along the way with friends. Thought I would share some of the additions I have added (farkles) to my new SV. Still pretty limited on what I could find. I am used to a KLR, DR, DRZ or V Strom that have endless aftermarket support.

SW Motech Blaze Saddlebags:

Rear View SW Motech Blaze Saddlebags

BikeMaster Heated Grips. (fit excellent for a 17 SV650)

Puig Stream Windscreen:

Stebel Air Horn (center of picture) A must for all my bikes. The Stebel has saved me a number of times, instead of me being a hood ornament

Side View
Hey John, We ride with the same attitude, the NC foot hills , mountains are 2 hrs from us and offer the best roads one may ask for , also southern Va ,the Floyd area, no traffic plenty of camping IE. High Country MC campground in NC , Willvile in Va. I 've just picked up a 2019 SV AX for less than 1/2 of what it sold for last year , oh boy new toy. Call Brent at High Country they are open. They're outside of wilksboro NC . 336 973 3911

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from Australia.
List of things done to the bike, Australian LAMS model
  • New tyres Michelin Road 5 front and rear
  • Delkevic Slip on 225mm Oval silencer
  • Black shorter levers
  • Tidy Tail (Ebay special - New one needed)
  • Bar end mirrors
  • Quadlock mount
  • New bars Rethal Ricky Carmichael bars (uncut)
Love the bike, currently up to 25,000kms and owned it from new.
Plans for future
  • Derestrict
  • Wrap header
  • Headlight protector cafe style
  • Full exhaust (M4 or Yoshi)
  • Maybe rebuild with new components one day

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've wanted an SV since the Gen3 first came out, so I've been thinking about all the things I would do since then - browsing around forums, websites, YouTube for countless hours... Finally got my hands on one in late summer 2019 and spent the winter working at it bit by bit to set it up as I'd like. The plan was to set it up as a compromise between street and track, but with COVID-19, I haven't been able to take it out to the track yet. I managed to install everything myself, save for the cartridge kit.

I really appreciate all the information shared by everyone on this forum, which has helped me in so many ways. I'd be more than happy to share my thoughts/experience on any of the parts as well.

K-Tech cartridge kit / Stadium rear shock / Bagster Ready Luxe seat / Gilles Tooling handlebars / Gilles Tooling bar ends / Vagabond Motorsports fender eliminator / Rizoma Elisse mirrors / Rizoma Action turn signals / Woodcraft frame sliders / Woodcraft rear sets / SC-Project Oval carbon slip-on exhaust / S2 Concept exhaust hanger / GB Racing Secondary Cover set / GB Racing paddock stand bobbins / Evotech radiator guard / TechSpec tank grips / Pro Grip 717 GP grips

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bastak, I like your mods. If possible could you measure your Gilles Bars from end of bar weight to other end bar weight. I've looked at those bars but haven't got them as I don't know the width. I like wide bars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bastak, I like your mods. If possible could you measure your Gilles Bars from end of bar weight to other end bar weight. I've looked at those bars but haven't got them as I don't know the width. I like wide bars.
Yes I can do that this weekend and let you know. Good width. Not as narrow or aggressive as clip-ons you'd find in stock form say on a GSX-R - definitely has that weight over the front clip-ons feel i.e. you lose that flickability you get with good leverage on handlebars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wollerms, see pics.
Bar end to bar end is about 77mm.
Centre to centre of grips is about 62mm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just found this forum.
-two brothers racing slip on exhaust
-rizoma spirit RS end mounted mirrors
-frame sliders
-givi luggage rack which I have a love/hate with as I do miss the tail tidy and how the bike looked without that
-lowered

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ohlins front fork kit
Powerstands frame sliders
Puig Trend windscreen
SuperbrightLEDs driving lights
Givi luggage rack & hard case
ProGrip tank pad
GripPuppies handlebar grips and cut off the ends of brake & clutch levers
Kisan and Custom Dynamics light accessories for safety
I also fitted my Garmin GPS, replaced the goofy stainless steel "protector" on the muffler and cut the tail off the license plate holder.
I'm thinking of changing the chain sprocket to lower the gear ratios. Also maybe an SV1000 shock.

621 - 640 of 656 Posts