Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me it has been using the throttle and front brake lever simultaneously. My fingers are now always covering the front brake lever, regardless on acceleration or deceleration. My right hand is now doing two things separately at the same time. This has taken me time to learn but now its second nature and has made the biggest improvement in my riding last year. This is old news to lots of you here. Anyone here learning to ride this will make you a much better/safer rider.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Mine has been slow-riding practice. Coming from a racing background, I never appreciated the importance of being able to ride slow. I’ve been practicing a lot in parking lots, and it’s helped a lot.
I know it's not the same thing, but similar: my mantra has been "ride slower to go faster". It has been working for me as it gets my head out of the place where I am working hard to ride fast, now I can just flow.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
A racing thing but: The importance of presetting your bum position before the corner to allow for a smoother transition from full upright under heavy braking to full lean mid corner.
I found this great video breakdown this year. It includes several details and explanations that are missing from most other "how to ride faster" type of videos.

·
very big dumb
9,099 Posts
no single one thing, but switching from primarily racing minis to primarily racing big bikes was the big move last year. bumped from am to ex mid-season, won a couple races, have better races and better people to chase. in minis it's quite a bit more spread out with supersonic kids checking out on me.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I found this great video breakdown this year. It includes several details and explanations that are missing from most other "how to ride faster" type of videos.

Good ol' Naska (big nose) ... 😄
He has raced in non-professionals stock 1000cc local championships until he broke his left ankle in a high-side crash on the very first corner of a race.
Although he applied tenaciously, and attended riding courses with some top italian riders and riding shools, he started riding quite late and didn't made it to professionism.
Despite this, for me he is among the very few that are able to clearly explain riding and mechanical concepts.

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki SV650X 2000 Kawasaki ZX12R
93 Posts
Better tires helped me. Felt the tire slip on multiple occasions and admittedly it cause me to ride a little more tense. I swapped tires and since haven't sent anything like that. Been firm and planted through every corner which made me feel more comfortable and able to focus more on body position going into and transitioning out of turns. Trying to work on trail braking and slower speed maneuvering for this year.

·
Registered
215 Posts
no single one thing, but switching from primarily racing minis to primarily racing big bikes was the big move last year. bumped from am to ex mid-season, won a couple races, have better races and better people to chase. in minis it's quite a bit more spread out with supersonic kids checking out on me.
mini racing is fun, slower speeds and not as far to fall

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What has made the biggest improvement in your riding in 2021?

Riding on roads where there's no cars or trucks< grin> :D

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I would say, for me, it was a trip to the race track. Had been a few years since and was more of a "refresher course" and getting to know the S a little better.
I try to see every ride as a learning experience but have been at this long enough that there are no big "Ah HAH" moments anymore. More like small refinements and trying to practice and improve technique.

·
Registered
2017 SV650
10 Posts
As a relative newbie, I would agree with Soulspinner - learning how to keep the brake lever covered really changed my ride. Although, I took the ChampU online course and there were a ton of lessons I pulled from there...braking, loading the suspension, staying focused, bliping the throttle on downshifts. All of those lessons, plus dabbling in motogymkhana style parking lot drills has been a ton of fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been riding a while, but never really did low speed turning practice up until recently, that has helped considerably for shorter U-turns and confidence at low speeds.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been riding a while, but never really did low speed turning practice up until recently, that has helped considerably for shorter U-turns and confidence at low speeds.
Same, my wife started learning to ride last summer when we got her a Z400. We did lots of slow speed turning practice together, makes a real difference in confidence and control in slow speed maneuvers.

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
Moving out of a dull, flat, urban area to where twistys are within walking distance, ok I can walk pretty far, did more to improve my riding than anything else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts