Discussion Starter #1
Do you run in the rain?

Are you f*cked?

Do they move it?

I've paid and booked mine, but now I'm freaking out about this......:angry1:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
my first track day got rained on and we rode through the day! You learn a lot more on wet track day than any other day

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yep. It was raining during my track day too and we rode. I learned "tar snakes" = lowside when you push the bike too hard in the corners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As An example stt barber. Looks wet. I'm in a hotel excited about tomorrow. Its going to be a blast. Much to learn and lots To work on.
I will be there on the yellow duck with the cogent dynamics stickers.
There are no refunds for rain so come out and have fun!

If you are at the same track day, I hope we can ride together

·
Registered
830 Posts
It depends on the organization I think. Most orgs will run in the wet and rain to some degree. If it is horrible weather and you don't ride, track day provider may say that they still have to pay the track so you are screwed. Moral of the story, ALWAY read all the fine print when signing up for track days.

I know that if nobody turns a wheel at a NESBA event due to weather, you will get a full refund.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ride in the rain---you'll learn alot

and you dont have to have rain tires either

hell my brothers 1st trackday ever was when he was 15 years old on my old SV650 with pirelli slicks--and he moved up to intermediate in the afternoon!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I read the fine print...
Rain or sun, you ride. If it's absolutely horrible and no bikes get out, they give you credit towards another track day.

Should I wait until closer to the actual day to pay? I was thinking that if I waited 10 days out, I could check the 10 day forcast.

But then again, if might fill up ???

Either way, I'm excited. And I could see how rain might teach you more...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
My local track says "If nobody rides, you get a refund". But there's ALWAYS some guy with race wets or on a BMW GS or something who'll ride through a monsoon, even when there's flooding on the track, and then things get interesting. But wet trackdays can be very cool, I did crash on mine (once it was drying out,like a fool) but I learned a hell of a lot.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
It's entirely possible :) Though I've always got a refund in the end, generally how it works is they'll flatly refuse, then one of the regulars will say "well **** you then, if you want to see me here again you'll give me a credit", which they do, then everyone else gets one. They're not daft, better to get people back 4 times a year than to keep the money once. But that would obviously vary a lot from place to place.

There was a big hoo-ha last year, Brands Hatch got heavily snowed on just before a trackday and they "cleared" the track- or rather the racing line, 4 feet wide, and said it was safe to ride :mad: Salt and loose snow all over the place. Luckily they chickened out of that after a few people dropped the the words "suit" and "law"

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's entirely possible :) Though I've always got a refund in the end, generally how it works is they'll flatly refuse, then one of the regulars will say "well **** you then, if you want to see me here again you'll give me a credit", which they do, then everyone else gets one. They're not daft, better to get people back 4 times a year than to keep the money once. But that would obviously vary a lot from place to place.

There was a big hoo-ha last year, Brands Hatch got heavily snowed on just before a trackday and they "cleared" the track- or rather the racing line, 4 feet wide, and said it was safe to ride :mad: Salt and loose snow all over the place. Luckily they chickened out of that after a few people dropped the the words "suit" and "law"

WOW ! What does a trackday at Brands Hatch cost?

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you're considering waiting, make sure you check the fine print again. Many trackday orgs charge an extra fee for signing up late; i.e. within 14 or 10 days before the event. With NESBA I think it is $20 extra if you sign up within 2 weeks. Trackaddix charges $30 extra I think, but I dont' remember how soon. This time of year, I consider the premium to be good insurace. Better to be out an extra $20 or $30 to ride than to be out $150 + not too!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Ride in the rain---you'll learn alot

and you dont have to have rain tires either

hell my brothers 1st trackday ever was when he was 15 years old on my old SV650 with pirelli slicks--and he moved up to intermediate in the afternoon!
+1 on the learning. just feel out the traction. build into it. and remove as much bodywork as possible prior to going out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts