·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
^ Yes it is.. Its Waterproof IPX7..
"can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use. "
I found that on many sites. There is a guy on a BMW forum that uses his in the rain also and has never had a problem.

Me on the other hand.. if I encounter rain, the unit is coming off and getting put away just in case. Even though it is waterproof.

I also discovered the 2610 has a track log so you can save where you have been.

Alot of sites are still selling the 2610 for $650+

If you get one make sure its from a garmin dealer so you can have a garmin receipt for warranty.

Something else I have read good things about for bikers with GPS units.. its hard to run a touch screen with gloves (the 2610 has buttons too so thats great).
They make these http://www.stingerstylus.com/products/
For 5 bucks you can get three and I think they go on over your glove :D
Some guys put a little strip of duct tape around them and also smooth the tip some. I read about them here
http://www.bmwbmw.org/bmwforums/viewtopic.php?t=832&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30&sid=1e37175b0aaf0aac8fcf46e44587aff3
This guy glued his to his glove

·
Registered
975 Posts
I use a Mio C220.

Cons:
-it's not waterproof
-the display can be hard to see in bright sunlight
-entering route info could be easier
-all touch screen input-no dedicated buttons
-operates for about 3 hrs on full charge(display always on-full brightness)
-memory card can easily be accidently ejected
-and more I'm not remembering right now

Pros:
-it's cheap-$180 bucks with a car charger, memory card and decent suction cup mount
-it's way smaller and more detailed than a Rand McNally road atlas
-it records your route and stores gobs of waypoints
-it instantly remaps your route if you deviate
-several viewing modes including 2D/3D, auto night mode, speed adjusted zoom
-it has dozens more features that I haven't and/or may never use

Suggestions:
-BEFORE MOVING-manually zoom the display out to cover a reasonable area (I prefer 2D)
the display will lock on this zoom setting until you change it or turn it off
-put tape over the memory card
-if you use the included mount, tether it to something (I used my tank bag) in case it jars loose
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r247/gearman22/DSC01541.jpg
-if it rains, STOP and put it in a dry place (my tank bag has a waterproof compartment)
-if you don't have one, wire up a power outlet for long outings(cheap and useful mod)

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here is the picture I promised earlier.. I have been running this setup.

The 2610 is going to be 100x better.. but the legend will still work great for geocaching and for hooking up to my laptop as a GPS receiver if I need to.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
gearman said:
I use a Mio C220.
I've been looking at the c220. A couple questions if you don't mind:
Can you load gpx routs from another mapping program and have it follow them?
Exactly how bad is it in the sun?
thanks

·
Registered
975 Posts
tcl said:
I've been looking at the c220. A couple questions if you don't mind:
Can you load gpx routs from another mapping program and have it follow them?
Exactly how bad is it in the sun?
thanks
I have it mounted close to vertical but it still gets a lot of glare depending on what direction the sun hits it. In a pinch you can shade it with your hand. I'm not aware of any capability that allows you to import routes and see no mention of it in the manual. That would be a handy feature.

·
Registered
476 Posts
for any one who buys the 2610!!!

it is very out dated. harder to use an you will need at least 80$ in upgrades when you buy it. it has 2006 maps NOT 2008 like all the new ones. the 2007 maps should be cheaper then the 2008 ones but why not just get '08.

it is very heavy also. bad sun glare. (if it is anything like the 2720) <- i had that one when it first came out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have an old Garmin V that I have used for years. I absolutely love not having to take maps with me. It's dated but it works great. I want to upgrade in the next few months though just to have more map storage.

Two things are important to me running a gps. The first is a good cradle, I use the Ram ubolt mount, arm, and specific Garmin V cradle. When I update my GPS soon, I can just buy a 10-15 cradle specific to it and I'm good to go again. You can also get multiple bases for car use as well as on the bike. The thing is rock solid and gets the GPS up in your line of sight on the bike so a quick glance is all it takes. The other thing is power supply. I mounted a marine 12V outlet on the inside of my givi windscreen powered by the spare wire in the headlight bucket (naked only). No more running out of battery power on a trip. Plus, the 12v outlet is great for charging my cellphone.

Hey Matt, have you heard from Kaneman?

·
Registered
136 Posts
well, I just broke down and ordered the 2610 of that site. I already have the Street Pilot C320 similar to the one mentioned earlier in the thread. There are several major omissions from the c320 that made me go for the 2610:
-No audio out jack
-Can't load routes
-Not water resistant/proof

In response to nakedyllw650, the unit is refurbished, so it basically comes with the lastest maps. On the link above it even says you get a free upgrade to the mapset that came out this year. I am a little worried about it being heavy, but hopefully the RAM mounts can handle it. Does anyone have experience with the RAM mounts for such a large GPS? Is the brake reservoir mount or handlebar mount better? Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
^ Mine got delivered today :thumbsup: Can't wait to get home!
Everyone on ADV is using a ram mount for it.. some guys made custom mounts. Click that link I posted and read what they have to say

nakedyllw650 said:
for any one who buys the 2610!!!

it is very out dated. harder to use an you will need at least 80$ in upgrades when you buy it. it has 2006 maps NOT 2008 like all the new ones. the 2007 maps should be cheaper then the 2008 ones but why not just get '08.

it is very heavy also. bad sun glare. (if it is anything like the 2720) <- i had that one when it first came out. :thumbsup:
Everyone on ADVrider disagrees with you. Also as the person above me said, you can get the new version 8 software with it. I read 10 online reviews of the 2610 and they all said it was one of the best units to use in sunlight and great on motorcycle. I will know shortly.

You don't need 80$ in upgrades. I am assuming you ment 80$ in maping software? I got it with V8 and everyone that is getting it from edge can upgrade via garmin like it says on ADVrider to V8 for free.

I did buy a bigger compact flash card to hold more detail for more of the country. I did order the Garmin motorcycle mounting kit (cradle and wiring). Them cost me 62$ shipped but you have to buy that stuff with any GPSr. Ram mount is 39$. I don't think I am going to get that. I want to machine one for my SV... but if I fail, I will go buy the RAM mount.

bogey78 said:
Hey Matt, have you heard from Kaneman?
A few weeks ago. He's a strange dude. Hard to figure out.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I got mine!! (from garmin ebay dealer)

I just played with it in the house for a couple hours. It has ALOT of great features. I now own 3 gps's and this is GREAT. I have owned 5 or 6 in the past and borrowed 3-4 of my friends to get the feel for even more.

The streepilot 2610 is a GREAT deal. I can't wait to get it on my SV and to get it in my car/truck. I will put it in my car and take it to work tommorrow and give it a test run. I just did some stuff here. I have alot to learn but its easy to figure out.

I think the #1 feature is the remote. It even lights up when you press a button. And night mode is awesome! I turned off my desk light and sortly after it said it was changing because it was dark out (I have it on auto) and the screen went from color yellow and stuff to black and color. Sweet!

I took two pictures

I forgot to take a pic of the street by street screen and routing screen in simulation mode.

My only concern is how much of my tracks will it save. I think it saves to internal memory? So the track distance is limited. I think you can change how many "breadcrumbs" it drops but havn't looked into that yet. That will extend its track range.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The other day I was modeling up a few ideas for mounts. I didn't want a ram mount because I didn't want my unit to be up in the air.

So I came up with a few sturdy ideas

I posted that on another forum and got some ideas. I added rubber shock mounts and special clamps to the handlebar. Hours later I ended up with this.

Photowhoring ahead

this is what I started with of course

I put down a sandpaper type stuff with a sticky back around the center chrome

I then cut up a rubber hose and put it around that

I made up the mount with rubber shock absorbers. I also had to make spacers where the adle clamps attached in order to clear my handlebar brackets.

Mounted to the bike and got it wired in

I havn't got to test it yet because its raining but I am sure it will be great!

Unit - Garmin Street Pilot 2610
Software - Mapsource City Navigator V2008
Cradle - Garmin locking
Wiring - Garmin motorcycle wiring kit
Mount - Homemade of course (aluminum, rubber shock mounts, spacers, nuts/bolts, adle clamps, rubber hose, sandpaper with sticky back)

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Now you got to design a mount for us poor SOB's that are using clip-ons!

Hurry! We are waiting!

:evil6:

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
^ haha. Well, a bike with clip on's still has that top triple clamp. You could mount a bar on there to mimic the same center section that I used on my handlebars.

Or.. could mount a ram ball to the center of the top triple clamp, then use the smallest arm attachment they have (1 inch I think.. 25.4mm for you metric people), and mount it to that. I don't know if it would be as sturdy as the first idea however.

Doing the first idea would allow you to use the same design I did and keep the GPSr out of the wind and down low.. while being mounted shockproof and durable.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Or.. could mount a ram ball to the center of the top triple clamp, then use the smallest arm attachment they have (1 inch I think.. 25.4mm for you metric people), and mount it to that. I don't know if it would be as sturdy as the first idea however.
That's pretty much the setup that I have for my Legend Cx.
It's out of the wind mostly and I can easily see it when riding

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
^ I had a legend mounted to my handlebars in the same spot I put this 2610. I used the garmin 15 dollar handlebar mount.

Currently.. I thought of another way for you. Maybe somehow fit a ram ball onto that chrome nut cap on top of your steering stem. I found this picture

^ that chrome cap.. right thru the center.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
There was somebody on here that did that a while ago, but I think that they used the steering stem nut off of a GSXR

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.