Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good point D. I had no idea we did octane different. For the record, 87 is the lowest grade fuel you can get at a pump in SoCal. Ghetto Gas that works for everyone that isn't trying to prove something...next option is 91, and of course 93...

I've tried all three options for gas in the 17', and it didn't seem to matter all that much.

Racing gas may be different, but you need to tune to that I think.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In northern Cali now, there's 87, 89, 91. I started with 87 per Suzuki instructions, but 89 runs smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
if the bike calls for 87 use 87 if you get valve knock or ping go up one grade. 91 or hi-test burns slower so it's for hi compression engines, using it in the SV it doesn't all burn and creates carbon. i would like to see the plugs of anyone using hi-test. I COULD BE WRONG IT'S POSSIBLE.sorry for not changing out the caps, lazy

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Non ethanol, top tier. Usually low grade, sometimes mid
depending what they have.

·
Registered
483 Posts
if the bike calls for 87 use 87 if you get valve knock or ping go up one grade. 91 or hi-test burns slower so it's for hi compression engines, using it in the SV it doesn't all burn and creates carbon. i would like to see the plugs of anyone using hi-test. I COULD BE WRONG IT'S POSSIBLE.sorry for not changing out the caps, lazy
The lowest octane available in the UK is 95 RON, which equates to 91 US. I also fill up with 99 UK (95 US) from time to time, as the 99 has a good detergent package for cleaning injectors, etc. The plugs on my my old K6 SV, and on my current Gen 3 show almost no carbon deposits on the ground strap or the ring the ground strap is welded to, and have always been a good healthy colour.

·
Registered
35 Posts
the compression rate for the sv is 11.5,1 so i guess that's high compression.the plugs in my yamaha are almost white, they say ethinol burns much cleaner so it's normal to be white.if they were any tan color i would think they're rich. yamaha is lower compression so not a good comparison. i can turn the pms screw in and out to change the color of the plugs

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I'm using 98 octane (RON) on all my vehicles including my lawn mower and snow blower. The reason for this is that the 95 octane have 10% ethanol in it, while 98 octane is 100% pure petrol. I've heard that ethanol fuel have terrible shelf life and can cause pitting and rusting in the fuel tank injection system because of water retention. It's also harder on rubber hoses gaskets etc. so I rather pay more to get ethanol free fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
In the Jeeps I use regular fuel. I only use non-ethanol in all
my small engines. Lawn, generator, motorcycles, etc.

I have the app on my phone when out on long rides.

·
Registered
29 Posts
87 - and I do not use Arco gas in anything I drive or ride. :D
Can you please enlighten me as to what's wrong with Arco? Is it the detergent? I have a station a few blocks from my place and it's the cheapest gas around, so I fill up car and bike there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use non-ethanol 93 octane in my bikes and 87 octane non-ethanol in my Tacoma.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Delete.... Wrong forum! LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I just filled up with Chevron 87, switching from Arco 91. I haven't felt that the bike runs better, but the noticeable difference is in the smell coming out of the exhaust. It smells good! The Arco gas has a dirty smell.

·
Super Moderator
6,865 Posts
I use non-ethanol 93 octane in my bikes and 87 octane non-ethanol in my Tacoma.
Try 87 non-ethanol in the SV. It may even run better, and get better mileage.

For a high performance engine 93 might be required, but an engine usually makes the most power and best mileage on the lowest octane that just barely keeps detonation from happening.

You are completely safe running 87 in a stock SV engine.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
You get more energy (not less) from a lower octane fuel, so if your engine can burn it in a controllable manner, that's the right fuel.

·
MOTORADOR
10,819 Posts
Are we still beating this dead horse?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts