Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read that the 2017 SV650 has a low compression ratio and that it can also take low octane petrol such as 87 which I guess is the equivalent of RON 91 petrol/gas.

I myself use 91 because I believe it's the right grade of fuel to be using but I'm hearing of guys using 95 and even 98, are they going to end up in the long term damaging their bikes?

I know for fact that if a vehicle calls for RON 91 then there is no advantage to using a higher fuel grade, no performance gain and no long term savings to be made, that you'd be throwing away money each time you gas up.

So I want to know what you guys are using and who said to or why are you using whichever fuel you use?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I know for fact that if a vehicle calls for RON 91 then there is no advantage to using a higher fuel grade, no performance gain and no long term savings to be made, that you'd be throwing away money each time you gas up.
Exactly. On some bikes you actually lose power with higher than needed octane. I run 87 pump gas in my 2nd Gen race bike with a stock motor (39+k miles).

·
MOTORADOR
10,819 Posts
The one in the middle. Whatever that is.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told from the dealer to use 98, I live in Australia but doubt that makes a difference.
Funny, the whole basis of this topic was a Youtuber who does a vlog about his 2016 SV650 and he said his mechanic said it's fine using 98, he's also in Australia.

1) I think mechanics are mechanics because they didn't get a university degree, and that they don't know what each one requires in terms of fuel, that they just treat all bikes the same and think is this 2017 model can take 98 then that one should be able to as well.

2) Mechanics are in the business of making money from repairing people's broken ****.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Funny, the whole basis of this topic was a Youtuber who does a vlog about his 2016 SV650 and he said his mechanic said it's fine using 98, he's also in Australia.

1) I think mechanics are mechanics because they didn't get a university degree, and that they don't know what each one requires in terms of fuel, that they just treat all bikes the same and think is this 2017 model can take 98 then that one should be able to as well.

2) Mechanics are in the business of making money from repairing people's broken ****.
While that may be true of a lot of the time, there are a couple of professionals here who are willing to lend their knowledge for free to the community.

Sure, your bike will run on 87, 89, 91, or 93, but it might not need the extra octane. Remember, octane is a measurement of how resistant the fuel is to detonation. That means high octane is more resistant to detonation and is therefore suitable for high compression applications like turbo/supercharged engines or ones with high compression ratios. Basically, you want to use the lowest octane you can as long as the engine isn't knocking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my area 87 is the lowest available. There is a new trend for stations to offer ethanol-free, so I use whatever I can get without ethanol, either 87 or 91. Most of the time it is 87. Bike runs like a dream regardless.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me clear this up, 87 is what it's called in the States, but in my country, NZ, it's called 91, there are different rating systems depending on the area of the world you're in, over here it's RON (Research Octane Number) 91 in the USA it's AKI (Anti-Knock Index) 87

In most countries, including Australia, New Zealand and all of those in Europe, the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2. It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts