Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
If you own a 2003+ SV: Wheel, rotors, axle, fender.

For former SVs, you´d additionally need a special upper bearing from TWF and some ideas regarding steering stops and ignition lock (the latter is more or less impossible without drilling the frame).

Oh, and a "security" torx T40 for the ignition. :)

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how hard of a covertion is this to complete? Im pretty good with bikes and my father also tears his motocross bike down to the frame after every race and rebuilds it so he has alot of knowlege. Do you think i will have problems?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
do you know by chance if a 07 600 wheel would work with the 04 05 front end.
I don´t know. You can see from the outside that the axle design (or at least the way it is fastened) changed, but I don´t know of the consequences or whteher there are other changes as well. The rotor bolt pattern and rotor diameters are different, too. The latter is not really a problem with the radial brake mount - wheel width would be a bit tougher.
You´re best off with a 00-05 wheel, probably.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
465 Posts
You will also need to do something for the speedo sensor.

I did this http://www.gregoryli.com/search/label/DIY

As Jan said the swap is reasonably straight forward once you get all the parts. In terms of tools there are a few things that I didn't have in my tool box. That secure-torx tool, a large metric socket, axel tool for the gsxr (used a large bolt - don't remember the size but it's on he board here), spanner wrench for the head crown nuts (I made the ugliest spanner wrench in the history of mankind).

Oh yeah - is this a naked or an S model? Mine is a naked model - not sure about the S but if is an N you will have to figure out someway to mount the speedo/lights, some info here if you have an N (http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=94023)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine is a 03 naked. im actualy redoing the whole bike. i have lower fairings, and am going to be powdercoating the frame and swing arm and all silver parts black. Im going to be using a acrbus cyclops headlight. Im not sure what im going to be doing about a speedo yet but i hate the look of the big thing on it now.

Im also not sure whta im going to do with the rear shock or the rear wheel yet. Would i be able to run a rear 04 05 gsxr 600 wheel?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Yes, that wheel should work.

mine is a 03 naked. im actualy redoing the whole bike. i have lower fairings, and am going to be powdercoating the frame and swing arm and all silver parts black. Im going to be using a acrbus cyclops headlight. Im not sure what im going to be doing about a speedo yet but i hate the look of the big thing on it now.

Im also not sure whta im going to do with the rear shock or the rear wheel yet. Would i be able to run a rear 04 05 gsxr 600 wheel?
You cannot run a newer gsxr rear wheel without machining it first. I believe you have to take some material off of both sides.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Not unless you get custom spacers for the calipers. 04/05 has 300m rotors and the later model has 310mm rotors.
The 300mm rotors will not fit on the later wheel.
So either get an early wheel or have some spacers machined

Are you planning on upright bars (per current naked) or clip-ons?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Not unless you get custom spacers for the calipers. 04/05 has 300m rotors and the later model has 310mm rotors.
The 300mm rotors will not fit on the later wheel.
So either get an early wheel or have some spacers machined

Are you planning on upright bars (per current naked) or clip-ons?
Right, you will need spacers to use that wheel. You should be able to get 5mm spacers from yoyodyne or our own DougZ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts