Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a first gen SV650 without any keys for parts/fix up project (NOT STOLEN haha ;D haha). Anyways, I'm trying to get a key made.

I took apart the ignition and the rear seat cowl. I've read that the key code is stamped on both. I found a 4 letter character code and brought it to the local locksmith. They claim it isn't the code.... and that depending on how hard it is to make they can charge me anywhere from 40-120$ I asked if they can give me a quote before doing it, and they said no???? Told me to come back ready to pay upwards of 120$...

Are they just trying to pull a fast one on me? The code I found on the back was Eg: 7X09

So a number, letter, number, number. Anyone know what they are suppose to look like?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I lost my only key to my Suzuki VZ800 and had to get a locksmith to make one for me. It was exactly $120.

I believe the code is all numbers and it's like 6-8 numbers long.

A little bit of a story explaining my guess above...

I went to the dealer that I bought the bike at(used) and they couldn't make a key for me. They told me there's nothing on the bike that tells them the code. Not sure if they knew what they were talking about, but that's what they said.

First locksmith I went to used the tank lock to make a key. That worked but only opened the tank and the seat. He gave me that key and the code for it for free. I think it was 6 numbers long, and he said the ignition is those 6, plus 2 more.

The next locksmith I went to had to keep the bike for a few days. They ended up taking apart the ignition and ever since then it was never the same again. But I ended up with a key for $120.

So... I think the code is all numbers. The numbers represent how deep they have to cut each position of the key. This is the code the locksmiths used. The second locksmith understood the code the first locksmith gave me. Suzuki's codes might be different.

Also... the first locksmith got some of the code from the internet. Suzuki publishes some sort of guidelines about their keys. He looked up the model and year and got the first 2 or 3 numbers from that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post fender! I found a local 1 man business operation (out of his home) and he was able to make me a set of keys from the ignition in about 20minutes for 50 dollars.

I went to a store based locksmith and they were big time a$$es about it. They were quoting me 40-120$ saying they wouldn't know until they unscrewed the two screws on the ignition.... When I asked if I could borrow a screwdriver on the table and unscrew it myself they refused... Took my money elsewhere!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts