Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Birthdays coming up, a tank bag or some bags for the tail would be helpful with the trips I've got planned for this summer. Not looking to carry alot, just a set of clothes maybe, rain gear, clear visor for night, tire plug kit and few other misc. things. Pics would be excellent.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
I carry almost everything I could ever need in a backpack. For overnight, I also have a gym bag. Both bungee nicely behind me.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Obligatory plug for www.luggagelocker.com

I've met Les personally and have nothing but good things to say about his products. A number of people on the board have bought bags (Misko being the only other one I can think of right now).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use a set of teknic saddlebags and a tank bag. Beware the saddlebags will mar the tail paint unless you use some type of protective barrier. I am using painter's tape befor slapping the bags on, works great.

It sounds pretty outrageous to suggest such, but I get a ton of utility space with these bags (they unzip to expand) and the only other source for this kind of storage is a GIVI type hard bag setup. I can run this and paint the tail in 2 yrs if need be for < than the cost of GIVI. Plus, I don't have some giant appendage hanging off when I am not using the bags (85% of the time).

See here for an old thread: http://www.svrider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=27791&highlight=

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I use a Nelson Rigg tankbag and a Nelson Rigg expandable tailpack. It can carry as much clothing that I have needed it to, and I am very happy with the purchase. I can get pictures later if you want.

I don't like backpacks for long trips. I tried it once and my lower back was hurting when I got there. If you pack very lightly it could work, but at that point you might as well just use a tankbag.

-Nick

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I use these...

The tank bag is huge and holds plenty. The tail bag, I can get by with stuffing that for the weekend or a week long motorcycle trip. I can stuff plenty in both.

www.roadgear.com

Made in the US products, very durable. I wouldn't even think of buying any other luggage. They stand behind their product and the customer service is super! Highly recommended by me! ANd I use both products daily for my commutes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I really like the OG tail bag idea, Ron. 8)

I'm on the lookout for a tail bag that I can easily use as a gym bag, to haul a change of clothes, shoes, my lifting belt, etc., and that I can take from the bike into the locker room and back fairly easily. Do any of you guys who recommend tailbags take them on and off the bike frequently? Would you recommend yours for that use? What sorts of things would you say I should look for in a bag?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
My Givi trunk:

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

V

·
0 Posts
I'm running a Marsee Rocket Pocket tank bag. Marsee makes some very high quality bags that have tons of features.

The main thing I like about the Marsee bag is you can unzip the bag from the base with the magnets in it and you don't have to carry all that weight of the magnets.

They also sell replacement bases to convert a magnetic tankbag to a tail bag or vice versa.

I'm definitely going to make myself an OG DIY tail bag though. Great tip Ron and OG!

·
Registered
13 Posts
A medium size olive drab ALICE Pack, without the frame, bungeed to the back works for me.

Walker

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I've got a Baglux tank harness and bag which i use day to day... It's great, since you get combined tank protection with a completely secure tank bag, and the bag's well forward so it doesn't stop you from tucking in a bit.

I don't know if the Oxford luggage is available in the States, but it's fantastic... Great balance of quality, size, and price. I use the tailpack a lot, the panniers less often since it's a hassle to keep them clear of the cans...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts