Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum and will be new to the sv shortly. I had a gs500f that i rode for 1yr/7000miles but i had to get rid of it. Now i can't waite to get back on two wheels.

what do you think of this bike?:
http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1109745251.html

I'm thinking of offering $4K provided i dont find anything when i go look at it this weekend. Does that sound resonable to you?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i went and looked a it yesterday. turns out its a POS. They told me over the phone that it had been dropped once in a parking lot(at parking lot speeds) so there was "some scratches". well i get out of the car and look at the bike for the first time on the left side and there are some minor flaws on the tail. The the guy says "yeah i dropped it on the other side", so you dropped it once and managed to hit both sides?? Previous owner he says. Thanks for mentioning that over the phone.
Well the other side was alot worse. I'm calling BS on the "parking lot speeds". i wrecked on my last bike at around 40mph and it didnt look half as bad as this. But the bike was straight mechanically except for a dirty chain.
So i lowballed him, he said it wasnt going to happen and we each went on our way.
Now i've got my eye set on an '06 SVS that Ride Now has in their showroom. i made an offer on it yesterday, they made a counteroffer. I'll go back in a few days and try again with a slightly different offer.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Sounds like your smart about your bike purchase. You don't want to take the first offer. I would do more research, I know you can get a decent 2nd gen SVS for $4k easy. It may be worth driving a couple hours. Good Luck and hope to see pics of your new ride! ;D

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
i got my second gen for 3600...all it had was a dirty chain and a tiny scratch on the side of the fairing..it looked like the PO accidentally swiped a car a little

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^ HaHa that it is.

No the one at ride now is blue, full faring. Its beautiful but its looking alittle on the expencive side, i was close to going back there today but i didnt. I'm looking into an '06 nakeid, less than 6k miles and hes asking $4K. i figure i can put woodcraft rearsets and clubman bars on it and turn it into an S model. I dont think i'll miss the faring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well i tryed again for the bike at ride now. i went in there with $4700, i offered them 4.5K thinking that they would ether take it or counter offer with 4700 or somehting. Instead they came back with the same offer as on sunday, 5K OTD. They claim that they own the bike for alittle over 4.5k, and that sales tax is 8%( i thought it was 3%), so that their 5k OTD offer is a great deal.
I dunno if theyre BSing me or if that correct. I think that they got ripped off buying the bike for 4.5k, KBB says dealer trade in value is like 3.5k.
That said i'm considering takeing it. There arnt any SVS's out there right now that wouldnt require some time in a garage. And if i bought that naked i'd always be trying to make it into what i want, instead of just going out and buying what i want from the get go.

I'm still going to check out that naked bike this saterday though.

If i put clubman bars on that, do i have to get new clutch/break cables and new break lines??

But man, a $5k SV is expencive.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
if the book says 3500, no way the dealer paid 4500. they are in the business to make a profit, and that's ok, as long as they don't make an unfair profit off you. 5000 is too much for a 3 yr old sv650, they know that but they are trying to make money.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Does the $5,000 OTD include all associated taxes? If so, that may not be such a terrible deal (still high, but beggars can't be choosers).

If they won't budge on the price of the bike, try getting some free gear or something thrown in. Not only did I get my new '07 for $500 under MSRP OTD, I got a free helmet with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And its all over!

'06 5800 miles, it'll need tires in about 1k miles and it needs a replacement frame slider but other than that its clean. $3750, not too bad if i may say so myself. I didnt think i would want another vehicle with an exhaust after my '88 supra turbo but man this thing sounds great.

gonna get clubmans, woodcrafts, and some SS lines with the leftover money. And oh yeah, inshurance too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts