Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned or had the chance to ride a Suzuki SV650, but I've always wanted to. I currently ride a 2007 Kawasaki 650R Ninja
with 4,770 miles, and I think I would like to trade for one. Thank you.

·
MOTORADOR
10,935 Posts
In a few words? You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mighty open ended question but I will say it's an improvement. Even comparing a 2007 650r to a 2007 sv650s (which I can do), you will notice the Suzuki is more stable at any speed. A friend of mine had a 650r back then and we swapped bikes often. Kawasaki was making a big ex250 with the 650r - not competition to Suzuki. I don't mean that as a slight to Kawasaki, I had and really enjoyed many ex250s but you can't compare the two. Suzuki is really on a level of Honda sportbike handling capability with the SV and Kawasaki was making a fun upright commuter. It's almost apples to oranges.
Both are great bikes, but the SV is GREAT.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why the urge to go brand r new?

Plenty of well loved and meticulously maintained bikes need a new owner... Why not go used to save some cash and spend some coin on farkles and riding gear?

As far as ownership, there's a legitimate reason why so many people regret selling their SV. It's a hoot.

·
very big dumb
8,809 Posts
the 3g is smoother than the 2g. it's a bit heavier. but will do all the same things because it's easier to ride. a bit more comfortable imo than the 2nd gen because the tank is smaller.
performance... 3gs can win motoamerica races just like 2g can

as far as taking one apart... here are some observations from when i pulled one apart

·
Registered
212 Posts
The 2021 sv has lost some power due to euro 5 emissions, not sure how much. Some manufactures beefed up their engine to make up for the changes, not Suzuki with this model, likely due to a inline twin rumored to replace the sv.
I would look for a 2017 -2020

·
very big dumb
8,809 Posts
The 2021 sv has lost some power due to euro 5 emissions, not sure how much. Some manufactures beefed up their engine to make up for the changes, not Suzuki with this model, likely due to a inline twin rumored to replace the sv.
same thing happened with the dual plug switch in 07. that power is fairly easily made back up by deleting some parts or putting on some power adders.

·
very big dumb
8,809 Posts
Deleting what parts? Are you referring to the TRE mod or PAIR system? I don't need more power... but I'll take it...
if you have a catalytic converter that would be pretty high on the list of things that choke down the bike. obviously the usual boltons/cams/etc. are good for some ponies. pair isn't a power change, just weight/complexity reduction. tre does... pretty much nothing imo except confuse power commanders

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have no cat and a full yoshi system. Sounds like nothing else is worth it seeing as I don't want cams. Oh well, guess I won't touch it. 🤷‍♂️ Just took a rip in the canyons; it's 80 and sunny in SoCal and this bike is tip top. All these years and this thing still just dances over the road. I was just hanging on!

·
Registered
212 Posts
if you have a catalytic converter that would be pretty high on the list of things that choke down the bike. obviously the usual boltons/cams/etc. are good for some ponies. pair isn't a power change, just weight/complexity reduction. tre does... pretty much nothing imo except confuse power commanders
The usual stuff. Knowing how you tear into these engines i assumed you had knowledge and maybe its "remove this, cut that, gain..." :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
One interesting wrinkle with the Gen 3 bikes from 2017 - 2020 is that the ECU allows a little more torque to be produced in 5th and 6th gear compared to the lower gears. In 5th and 6th you get an extra 2lb-ft of torque between 6,000 and 8,000rpm (see video below). I don't know if that's the same with the 2021 bikes.

The interesting bit starts at 3m15s:

·
very big dumb
8,809 Posts
The usual stuff. Knowing how you tear into these engines i assumed you had knowledge and maybe its "remove this, cut that, gain..." :)
i'm not Sam/Robem/twf/etc. i just take them apart heh.
but yes, the "usual stuff" is all we really have available... deck heads, cylinders, thinner headgasket and cylinder gasket, all of which will increase compression. using a lighter flywheel will help it spin freer, etc. lightened crank if you want to get into "fuck me money"
nothing "magical" that I know of, but the real motor builders know A LOT more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not seeing any difference in the exhaust system for 021, euro 5 typically adds more catalization. What has changed is that ABS only.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never owned or had the chance to ride a Suzuki SV650, but I've always wanted to. I currently ride a 2007 Kawasaki 650R Ninja
If you dont want ABS you'll have to find a pre 021. I have a 019 sv and 016 fz07, the sv handles better i.e. less twitchy but the fz/mt shifts smoother.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I have an '02 SV650S in silver.
I'm not wild about the new look, especially black painted metal - engine, frame, etc.
To me, black looks cheap and on certain surfaces, it can get scuffed and reveal the metal under it.

But hey, I had Triumphs for 35 years and loved the polished aluminum and chrome.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an '02 SV650S in silver.
I'm not wild about the new look, especially black painted metal - engine, frame, etc.
To me, black looks cheap and on certain surfaces, it can get scuffed and reveal the metal under it.

But hey, I had Triumphs for 35 years and loved the polished aluminum and chrome.
Your '02 SV650S appears to be in mint condition; that's a nice looking bike

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts