Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep coming up to situations where the traffic light friction plate or whatever it is in the road doesn't register my bike towards it's counter. Therefore, I end up staring at a red light the entire time. I see other people joyfully riding along and lights will sometimes change where I'm 'supposed' to be next in line and I get fuxed. Last night I just said 'fuxit' twice and ran the red light. It's simply not fair, what am I supposed to do here?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Right turn. With my luck some cop would see me run the light...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Turn off bike.
Set on stand.
Joyfully dance around the grid chanting like a drunken indian on bingo night.
Hop back on bike.
Ride.

But make sure you remember which chants, and which dance moves have the most success. Then post here.

If anything, it will kill time and entertain the bystanders as you wait.

·
Registered
186 Posts
right turn, u turn in closest parking lot, right turn again.

NEVER run a red light, please!! :eek:

Q

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i just go through the red light when it is safe.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Soem are weight but most are electro magnetic. I tend to rev the bike a bit as I pull up if it isn't a major street, and that usually works. If it gets really long, I just push the crosswalk button. That works every time (and at a number of lights in Seattle trips it faster than just a car/bike - wtf) but you don't always have that button.

The most reliable option is to get a signal tripper. It's a little block (I think it's a magnet) that goes on the underside and trips the light. Motorcycles and bicyclists alike use them.

http://www.tricktape.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=177

It's happened to almost all riders. You come to a red light in a turning lane, or approach an automatic gate and nothing happens. You end up sitting there until another car approaches, or take the chance and run the light. How frustrating is it to see all the other lanes get their green light, but you just sit there? Why? The traffic light can't see you... Well, now there is a simple and inexpensive way to get your green light. The Signal Tripper is a special type of magnet that will trip the signal's "loop sensor". What is a loop sensor? Well, have you been out riding (or even driving) and you see the thin metal strips in the ground as you approach a traffic light? They are usually in the shape of a rectangle or a diamond. These are the loop sensors that detect whan a car or truck approaches. The ferrous metal in most vehicles creates a magnetic disturbance, that is detected by the loop sensor, and the vehicle will get it's green light! Well, most modern sportbikes are made mostly of aluminum and plastic - not enough ferrous metal to trip the loop detector. With the installation of the Grade 5 anisotropic Signal Tripper, the bike rolls over the loop detector and the Tripper creates a powerful magnetic field, and the rider gets his green light in turn! Sound complicated? It's not. The Signal Tripper is only about the size of a matchbox car, and can be tucked into your lower fairings with double sided tape or Velcro. There is no maintenance of any kind. Just tuck it somewhere and forget about it! Don't be fooled into thinking that this (and others like it) are any type of device. This is a ferrite Grade 5 - Anisotropic magnet, specifcally polarized thru the "T" axis to cause the disruption you need! Stong enough to trigger most lights and automactic gates as well. Not a device in disguise, as many would like you to believe. The hardest thing to believe is that it actually works! So simple, so effective. You'll never believe it. Give it a try and see for yourself. (Some signals are so out of alignment, that the tripper may not work on them, but it will work on 95% of them!)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have heard from others that the signal trippers do not really work around where I live. Plus, adjusting the nuts is free, functional, and fun...

N

·
0 Posts
Right turn and a u if possible (not possible if it's a one way street).

There's usually something in the vehicle code that allows you to blow off a defective signal, but I'd want to be good n' sure before I tried it in court. You could also call the DoT and ask them to adjust the sensitivity for you.

General info: many lights use a magnetic detection loop (you will see a rectangular cut the aproximate size and shape of a Buick). If you place your bike right over it when you stop it might make enough of a difference. Alternatively, you could put the sidestand (or centerstand, if you're on a bike that has one) down right on the line. The joyfull dancing is optional, but it couldn't hurt to try that too (have someone take pictures!)

:)

·
Registered
745 Posts
The signal tripper I have works. I don't know what brand it is, but the light changes now. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
rlsrob said:
I have heard from others that the signal trippers do not really work around where I live. Plus, adjusting the nuts is free, functional, and fun...
LOL i'll have to try that

·
Registered
37 Posts
FWIW, I'm a civil engineer and part of my job is designing traffic signals and stuff.

Most 90% of the signals around me are actuated by loops placed in the pavement. They work using electrical inductance i.e. a conductor (vehicle) passing thru a magnetic field creates a current in the loop wire and tells the signal controller to change the light. (My electrical theory may be a little off, but you get the idea.) The "signal trippers" work by putting a magnet on the underside of your bike which the passes thru the loop's magnetic field, creates the current, and changes the signal.

What usually works for me is i stop my bike on top of the wire that makes up the loop(the boxes you see cut into the pavement). This places my bike as close to the magnetic field as possible and usually changes the light. When that doesn't work, I have in the past, turned right, ran the light, or moved as far forward as I could and told the car behind to pull far enough to actuate the signal.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
slappermouth said:
Turn off bike.
Set on stand.
Joyfully dance around the grid chanting like a drunken indian on bingo night.
Hop back on bike.
Ride.

ROFLMAO

I want to see a video of that. Gotta have the helmet Mohawk though!

Plus one for you my friend.  ;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I stop, of course, but if I sit there for more than one cycle of light changes than I'll go. About the only time that I'm forced with this decision is while sitting in left turn only lanes, other times I usually have more cars in the lane or across from me to trip the sensor.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I go when safe, than report the malfunctioning signal to the local dot

V

·
0 Posts
I got stopped by my local PD for running a red that wouldn't change. I explained why I ran it and asked him what should I have done? He said the same as many of you, make a right and then call the city traffic dept. and ask them to adjust the sensitivity.

Fortunately he was cool and let me go with a warning ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
running red lights is a daily practice unfortunately.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well I know this was discussed at the MSF course, someone had asked what to do if you come across one of these stubborn red lights, and the instructor said to wait it out and if for some reason it doesn't change after a couple of cycles then take the red light of course being careful doing it. Instead of making a right then trying to make a U turn somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts