Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

15861 - 15863 of 15863 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
My holiday project was to install a stealthy heated grip setup. I really don't like the bulky look of the controllers systems like Oxford use. Koso grips look good, but with everything integrated you now have a really expensive wear item. So I bought a set of grip heater elements and a cheap PWM controller and wired up something custom.
A fused relay powers the circuit when the bike is on, and the PWM controller has a control dial, off->100% with off being a positive 'off' position. Install grips of your choice, in my case a set of $20 grips from my local shop and I have controllable heat in a clean, stealthy package.

The controller is easy to reach but pretty well hidden from sight here. This is a simple 12v 5A LED dimmer circuit that uses pulse width modulation (PWM) to control LED intensity, or in my case cycles power to the heater elements to control heat level instead of using resistors or rheostats. The elements will only draw 3.6A max so still plenty of headroom in the system.

I used a expandable braided wire sleeve material to keep the wires tidy but still allow for movement at the throttle as seen here. I used this to protect the whole run of wire, but still soldered and heat shrunk all joints.

Heater elements were $20, 50' of sleeve material was $9, PWM controller was $5, waterproof relay and various connectors were $12. Add $20 for grips and the project was under $70 and looks cleaner than anything I was able to find in a kit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
14" SS Delkevic slip on. I like the look and with the baffle in it's only a but louder than stock with a nice deep tone. I thought about the 18" but it looked a bit too long in the pictures and after hearing this one, I don't think the added length was needed. I honestly don't understand why a major brand muffler has to cost what they do. Yes, the fit and finish can be a bit better but styling ought to count for a modest price increase, not 2 to 3x. I guess it's just a luxury item thing. OEM's get hundreds for plastic bits that probably cost them 10's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought about doing something like that but ended up getting this.

Motorcycle Heated Hand Grips, Universal 1 Pair 7/8 Inch Motorcycle Atv Hand Warmers Electric Hot Heated Warm Hand Grips Handlebar Warmers Heated Hand Grips Atv Motorcycle Heated Hand Grips, Universal 1 Pair 7/8 Inch Motorcycle Atv Hand Warmers Electric Hot Heated Warm Hand Grips Handlebar Warmers Heated Hand Grips Atv, Grips - Amazon Canada

There are same grips under different seller/brand and I got mine for 20.

Gets really hot. There's a YouTube comparison video where it's described it as hot as Oxford and gets to temp fast.

I rode maybe 5 times and they were excellent. Cheap Chinese part got me worried on longevity but if they break, I'm only out 20 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

15861 - 15863 of 15863 Posts