Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

15821 - 15840 of 15863 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Assembled the transmission. My first time doing this so it's dry for function testing before I lube and button up the case. The factory manual is rather vague. I thought there would be more step by step directions but it pretty much just says "put it together the opposite of how it came apart." Thanks a lot!
I have the gears and grooved shift drum thingy in the left case side. It seems to go through all the gears. Next I'll install the shifter and put the case halves together dry for function testing before doing it for real. I hope I don't have any parts left over!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reinstalled the just serviced Ohlins shock and a new linear linkage on my 2004 SV650. Looks like the rear ride height came up about 1/8” with this change. Probably not a bad thing with the Ohlins, which can be a little short for ideal track handling or so I have heard.

Also replaced the LH Vortex foot peg. Previous owner just ran it ground down a bit further than I like. I will keep it as a barely usable spare for now.

Still plenty of work to go and track season is getting close!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Got the new 677cc big bore rings installed and everything buttoned up. Rear cylinder went together a lot easier than the front. Had a hell of a time getting the cams on the front to line up when the adjuster was installed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Checked valves (yeah... all in spec), collant flush, brake fluid, new spark plugs, clean & re-oil KN filter, chain clean, and oil & filter change.

All I need now is some good weather!!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
After a long winter of fixing body work rashed by previous owners, I laid the last coat of paint on my gas tank last night. Hopefully I can get the tank and fairings mounted this weekend and go for a ride. I'm super excited, as I haven't ridden it more than about 3 miles since I bought it in September. Been a great winter project, and hopefully I can ride over to COTA and downtown ATX next weekend for MotoGP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yesterday: adjusted the push-pull throttle cables. They were super loose and had way too much play.

Today: rode the SV while running some errands around town. Ran into a couple of guys also out on their bikes. One of them pulled up while at a light and was trying to get me to join them as they rode around town. Is this a thing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Installed a pair of inexpensive bar end side mirrors from Amazon today. Not sure how well they will hold up but quality looks good so far. Now I am looking to replace the front fender with a smaller retro/cafe type similar to one I am looking at from SW Motech. Looking for a better price than what I am seeing at Twisted Throttle. Welcome any suggestions. Have a good one.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Installed a pair of inexpensive bar end side mirrors from Amazon today. Not sure how well they will hold up but quality looks good so far. Now I am looking to replace the front fender with a smaller retro/cafe type similar to one I am looking at from SW Motech. Looking for a better price than what I am seeing at Twisted Throttle. Welcome any suggestions. Have a good one.

I'm returning those exact mirrors from Amazon. The part that expands just keeps spinning on me, doesnt catch onto itself so they are useless. Otherwise, they are good mirrors! I've just had bad luck with the expansion parts.

I went with these instead.
https://tstindustries.com/womet-tech-expansion-locking-bar-end-mirror-kit.html

I recovered my seats today...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read where others had that same problem which has me a little concerned also with mirrors angled toward headlight I don't have a great rear field of vision. Really like the ones in your link. Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wasn't today because I forgot about this thread when I did it, but last week I installed a ZX14 shock and Sonic .90 springs an 15w oil in the forks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yesterday: adjusted the push-pull throttle cables. They were super loose and had way too much play.

Today: rode the SV while running some errands around town. Ran into a couple of guys also out on their bikes. One of them pulled up while at a light and was trying to get me to join them as they rode around town. Is this a thing?
Yes, that is definitely a thing. Especially with the younger riders (read: millennials). Sounds like they were just being friendly, which is awesome. I don't see the point of riding around town in a group though. I would much rather hit the twisties in a group.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clutch was slipping. According to the previous owner it’s never been inspected or changed in 50k miles. It is an ex rider school bike so no real harsh starts or abuse. It only slipped under heavy load.

Drained the oil and coolant, opened the clutch basket and inspected everything. All plates well within tolerance (as new actually) with no sign of overheating or distortion. Clutch springs were 2mm shorter than the tolerance and also quite weak. Rebuilt all up with just replacing the springs. Job done.

Took quite a while as the clutch cover gasket was well adhered and took a lot of scraping with a knife blade followed by some light polishing with wet and dry to ensure a smooth surface.

Happy with the results though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wasn't today because I forgot about this thread when I did it, but last week I installed a ZX14 shock and Sonic .90 springs an 15w oil in the forks.
You mean a zx-14 rear mono shock or something else? Also, what's your weight? Is this on a 650 or 1k? And how do you like it now?

15821 - 15840 of 15863 Posts