Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

12481 - 12500 of 15863 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
What did *I* do for my sv650s? I learned about it.

I learned that the "parking light" key position is stupidly close to the steering lock position.

I also learned that I cannot access the battery without a toolkit :-/

parking lights were "on" for 24 hrs. Time to toss the battery?

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts

I learned that the "parking light" key position is stupidly close to the steering lock position.

Your battery might be ok still, I have done that or just left the key in the on position a few times and my battery always bounced back after a proper charge. Also one of the reasons I don't lock my bars anymore.

Last time I did it I was out of town at a work event. Lucky for me there was a little motorcycle shop a few stores down that let me borrow some hex keys and charged my battery while I grabbed dinner.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
dropped off the frame at the powdercoat shop, $125 for satin black seems like a deal

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
just checked the valves and they're all in spec :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm cheap so I bent and extended the stock mirrors. Now I can finally see something behind me. I also removed the passenger pegs and made a very sexy bracket to support the exhaust.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your battery might be ok still, I have done that or just left the key in the on position a few times and my battery always bounced back after a proper charge.

So much for luck: it wont hold a charge.
Prior owner claimed it was a "new" battery. I'm skeptical :-}

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I used it to demonstrate the excessive length of the Harley I'm building:

I'm personally not usually a huge fan of cruisers/choppers, but I can totally see why people like them. That looks like a really cool project though, must be lots of fun and pretty rewarding.

Also, quick question. What size are your hammergrips, the large ones or the small ones?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I'm personally not usually a huge fan of cruisers/choppers, but I can totally see why people like them. That looks like a really cool project though, must be lots of fun and pretty rewarding.

Also, quick question. What size are your hammergrips, the large ones or the small ones?

I'm not into choppers either, and am only building this because of its history (my dad originally built it).

I didn't know there were two sizes for his grips on the SV. Whichever was his original; I had the first set as a test on a damaged tank. When I got a new tank, I bought a set that were identical.

·
Registered
847 Posts
New horn. Driving around my VW Jetta the other day, I honked at someone who cut me off and realized the horn is about the 1 thing I actually like about that over-engineered German POS and thought it would be nice to have something like that on the SV because our stock horn sucks balls.

On a whim, I hopped on RockAuto and ordered a random VW Horn (RockAuto part# HN17T) for a few bucks just to see.

As it was way bigger than the stock pancake horn, it didn't exactly fit in the stock location so I got creative. I'm not sure that's my final solution (we'll see how it holds up to the SV's vibrations), but as far as a proof on concept it's not bad. The bracket came with it, I put a 90 deg. bend in it to get it tucked in behind the rad, used the stock bolt that held the original horn bracket to mount it to the rad:

Stock horn that we all know and "love" (ok not really). Sounds a bit louder than usual due to being inside my garage:

VW Jetta horn:

Again, due to it being inside it doesn't sound much better on the camera, but in person it's a lot more of an imposing sound than the stocker.

Oh, final note: the connectors on the horn are a little further apart than on the stocker, however the stock SV connector is flexible and fits right on. Alternately, you can cut the little nubs between the 2 connectors to make it a little cleaner. In any event, it's fully reversible without any wiring work.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm not into choppers either, and am only building this because of its history (my dad originally built it).

I didn't know there were two sizes for his grips on the SV. Whichever was his original; I had the first set as a test on a damaged tank. When I got a new tank, I bought a set that were identical.
Oh wow, that makes it even cooler. Before we moved out here from England my dad had an fzr-1000. It was one of the first bikes I was around when I was little and when we left he took it apart to store it and its been at my grandparents house back there for the last 11 years. I'd love to go back and rebuild it some day.

And thanks for the answer on the hammer grips, I thought that was the case but just wanted to check.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Oh wow, that makes it even cooler. Before we moved out here from England my dad had an fzr-1000. It was one of the first bikes I was around when I was little and when we left he took it apart to store it and its been at my grandparents house back there for the last 11 years. I'd love to go back and rebuild it some day.

And thanks for the answer on the hammer grips, I thought that was the case but just wanted to check.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

That *would* be a neat project, too. Check out the link in my sig line; it's the discussion thread for my years-long project.

Here's my build thread:

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3062097#post3062097

And here's a blog that I don't update enough:

http://brads75shovelheadrebuild.blogspot.com/

·
Greetings Program
6,272 Posts

·
Registered
9,110 Posts

After I did this once, I quickly trained myself to adopt a slightly different procedure: Always turn your key to "P" when you want to lock the forks, then click it back one position to "L". Works like a charm, and I haven't killed a battery since.

12481 - 12500 of 15863 Posts