Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

11841 - 11860 of 15863 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Finally took it for a short ride. This is my 1st bike and I just got my permit so I'm taking it slowly...
I said the same thing last year, don't be surprised with how comfortable you can get after only 2 weeks, especially if you keep doing your own work. You'll find a route you like and take it repeatedly before 2 months are over.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Rebuilt the front forks, man the SV1000's use a lot of fork oil.

Also because it wasn't hard enough I sheared off one of the bolts on the lower triple tree.

This bolt ate 3 ARTU extremely hard metal drill bits and I still had to chill the bolt down with liquid CO2 before I could get it to turn out with the extractor.

DO NOT over tighten these, they suck ass removing them =)

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Switched to conventional oil to see if the synthetic stuff is to blame for my SV burning a quart every few thousand miles.
In case anybody cares, I DID find that using conventional oil relieved me of my topping-off duties. (Not trying to start this discussion again, just pointing out my experience in case anybody does a search.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just thought this would be a cool new topic. If there is already one in existence please let me know so I can delete this one, or a mod can do it. As for me I finished my under tail project and rode the crap out of it.
i got the new renthal gold chain on & got the back wheel back on all lubed up ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Changed the oil and filter. Pulled the starter to see why it has been weak.

Found out 2 things:
-I should have pulled the starter before refilling with oil :BangHead:
-My starter brushes are shot.

These are the times I really wish I still had a local dealer for parts, now I can't ride until replacements show up in the mail. Of course I always need parts right before the weekend :mad:

Also had to make a 10mm wrench out of some 18 gauge steel to hold the nut under the ring terminal, since a normal wrench was too thick.

Finished rebuilding the starter and re-installed it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I took advantage of the 55*f weather... did my first sv650 oil change and took her out for a short ride. It felt great but the 10 day forecast isnt looking too good so it was just a little tease :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
I still need to wire the headlight back, I had to change mine to meet DOT standards. Now that it passed, I will be happy to switch it back to a more aggressive look. (I've posted some pics on a different thread)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Took her for a 240 mile ride to Daytona and back. It was a great day for the ride, but it sure did get cold on the return trip! It wasn't as cold as the start of the trip, but I was tired and not accepting the chill as easily. Had a blast!

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Braved the cold and took it out for a little ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I took advantage of the 55*f weather... did my first sv650 oil change and took her out for a short ride. It felt great but the 10 day forecast isnt looking too good so it was just a little tease :(
LOL cold, I broke out the mesh jacket to go to work tonight.

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
found a use for a broken fork spring off my buddy's crashed bike... it actually holds it pretty stably, better than the random bits of pipe and 2x4 i've been using previously

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is cold to you?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Mid 50s and lower. I layer up under the leather! (and I was born an raised in Michigan...and didn't like the cold then either)

Starting road temp yesterday was 48...no idea what it got to on the ride back...I was tired by that point and had visions of my bed in my head. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
48F... that is cold?? Damn.. there are a lot of poooozie riders out there...

I wish it was that warm here right now... I ride to work in -15c (or 5F) if the roads are clear of ice and snow... all it takes is another layer under a windproof jacket and some decent gloves... hell I have shiddy winter cattle roping gloves which are little more than thinsulate lined leather gloves... my good gloves are summer vented so suck in the cold... Still waiting for the cortech winter scarabs to go on sale for less than $90 again... damn I should have got them at $60

I never understand how americans can whine about it being too cold when it isn't even close to freezing temps... even the Brits ride in colder temps.. I hate the cold, but come on, a polar fleece sweater under a windproof jacket is plenty warm enough unless you ride for more than 40 minutes at a time in sub freezing temps...

Here the weather has turned to sh!t again... so no riding for me... don't care about the temps... but ice and snow on the road is problematic... 2 wheels on ice and snow kind of suck

so today instead of riding the bike I watched this video... it brings it all home...

http://www.itsbetterinthewind.com/2011film

As like many here... I've probably watched this film a dozen times in the past couple years now...

·
Registered
696 Posts
It's not about the temperature... it's about how you dress. If people say 50 deg is cold, it's because they're wearing jeans and leather gloves.

11841 - 11860 of 15863 Posts