Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

11801 - 11820 of 15863 Posts

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I changed the oil in my SV for the first time sense buying the bike from the previous owner. The damn filter was so tight I had to drill a hole in the filter and stick a screwdriver in there to get some leverage. All worked out in the end; she's purring like a kitten.
Next time you are staring at a stuck oil filter, you might want to try one of these.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-universal-oil-filter-wrench-auto-adjustable/p-02820523000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I've done the screwdriver trick once. It worked but was a mess. I'll never have to do that again. :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Next time you are staring at a stuck oil filter, you might want to try one of these.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-universal-oil-filter-wrench-auto-adjustable/p-02820523000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I've done the screwdriver trick once. It worked but was a mess. I'll never have to do that again. :)
I have one of those wrenches and hate it. I also have some of the fitted oil filter wrenches and the clamp type. Of all those, I've found that my favorite is just a plain old generic strap wrench. YMMV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sadly I got to do nothing to my SV, not will I until next week. On the upside I did order the F3 spacer kit from Zoran this week, picked up an F3 wheel, order my new tire, and order a 48t 520# chain for the F3 wheel. After the fun Sunday of having a relatively high speed blowout in a turn after picking up a bolt I figured it was time to go ahead and at least go with the cheaper way to get my slightly wider wheel. It would've been nice to get the GSXR wheel conversion, but then I would've had no choice but to do the front end swap, and along with tires I really couldn't justify spending the money even with the deals I typically get at the local shop. Now I've just to wait impatiently for all my goodies to come in so I can get her back on the road. At least the weather won't be pleasant this weekend.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Swapped out my rear shock with a 07 ZX10R shock. Havent had a chance to ride yet. Hopefully I'll get the Race Tech fork springs in tomorrow, gotta pick up some fork oil first though.
I really wanted to do a USD fork conversion but havent been able to find any deals on what I want, I dont wanna lose my red front fender, I dont feel like dealing with speedo issues, and I dont feel like taking my brand new front tire off to put it on another rim. :( So I guess I'll look into buying some emulators before I throw the new springs in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
BOOM!! This is what I did today!!

I feel like it's some sort of grand unveiling to post these photos here because I've been waiting for a couple weeks for the last parts to come back from the dude who did the paint. Today I installed the Vortex V3 keyless gas cap, then installed the new fuel tank (previous one was dented) and replaced the tail plastics, front fender and rear hugger. Stuff that's new on the bike for this round of upgrades includes a loud as F aftermarket horn, Corbin seat, the gas cap, Ohlins rear shock and Targa solo cowl. Oh, not to mention the custom dark green metallic paint job. It looks black from five feet away but closer you can tell it's iridescent green. The intent was for it to be a more subdued flat or satin finish but I'm happy even though it turned out gloss, though it is a bit flashier than I'd imagined.

Now that the look of the bike is cleaning up real nice, I think I might try to figure a better placement and bracket for that Trail Tech Vapor gauge.

Next week I am going to replace the funky water pump cover, install a woodcraft billet clutch cover and upgrade the shift star to an '05. Soon, rear sets. Next winter, tear down and powder-coat the frame, swingarm and rear wheel, if not convert to a GSXR rear wheel. Also thinking of an alternative to the Acerbis headlamp.... It never ends!

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Swapped out my rear shock with a 07 ZX10R shock. Havent had a chance to ride yet. Hopefully I'll get the Race Tech fork springs in tomorrow, gotta pick up some fork oil first though.
I really wanted to do a USD fork conversion but havent been able to find any deals on what I want, I dont wanna lose my red front fender, I dont feel like dealing with speedo issues, and I dont feel like taking my brand new front tire off to put it on another rim. :( So I guess I'll look into buying some emulators before I throw the new springs in.

It might be a good idea to do the emulators and springs at the same time. It could save some time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ordered a Penske 8983 from Zoran this week;D can't wait!!

Also installed these bad boys last night.

Sidenote... took less than 5 minutes to bleed with a syringe and some tube:thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rode it for 30 miles today. I can not believe the difference the penske rear and gsxr cartridges made on this bike!
That's awesome man! I'm still waiting (very impatiently) for my penske rear to come. Then I'll be sending out my forks to pattonme for the gsxr cartridges and I'll be set.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I couldn't stand not being on the SV after 5 days of having to park her. We limped our way to the shop, pulled an oooooollllddddd BT-020 off a ZX-7 that's been sitting there for a while now just so I could get out and not worry about something happening to someone else's bike in this rain and snow. Then I got to get reacquainted with why I switched to the Angels for about 50 miles in the flurries. Ah, heated glove liners, they are the greatest.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Installed Soliton's brake light flasher FINALLY, topped off the oil, checked tire pressures, loaded spare oil bottle in trunk and took her for a 400+ mile ride to Chatsworth, CA to say goodbye to an old friend that passed in January. Got 46mpg going down and 49mpg coming back up.

·
Registered
968 Posts
checked oil level, then added a little bit. cleaned/lubed/checked tension of the chain. took out the STV butterflies. they wont be going back in unless i get new screws since the OEM ones are made of butter.... TB sync with the carbtune. they weren't bad but a little difference goes a long way.

test ride with the fiancee in tow on her GS500E. did similar maintenance on that one, too.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Over the winter...

Installed a distribution block, a la Canyon Chasers . It's powering my heated jacket liner, grip heaters, and Stebel horn:

The relay tucks nicely behind the battery:

Symtec Grip Heaters, also a la Canyon Chasers. Tip: Wrap the left side of your handlebar with silicon tape ("Rescue Tape") for best heat transfer, especially if you're using aluminum bars like me:

View of the wire harness for grip heaters, and new Spider Peak Grips:

The obligatory SV Racing Parts frame sliders:

Also dove into safety wiring for the first time, installed new Vesrah pads up front (SVRP again!), and changed fork oil.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

Cleaned the air filter last night. This morning, popped on this year's plate renewal sticker and rode it work for my birthday/the official start of the 2013 riding season.

11801 - 11820 of 15863 Posts