Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

11721 - 11740 of 15863 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Nice job on the skid plate.
Thanks!

Okay...I gotta know...what kind of rides are you goin on that you need a skid plate? I'm intrigued.
I'm planning on riding the Trans Taiga road this summer. It is an extremely remote gravel road in northern Quebec. This skid plate is actually a rock deflector more than a skid plate. It is attached directly to the exhaust, so I won't be using it to slide over large logs or anything. I built it to protect the oil cooler and filter. It's probably overkill, but I don't want to be stuck several hundred miles from the nearest mechanic with a busted oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Replaced my front Pilot Power 2CT with a Pilot Power 3 (still a 2CT). The new version looks like it will be much better. They are more of a slick on the outside of the tire. They also made the outside part stiffer by using a stiffer compound under the softer compound. As a bonus they put some lines on the slick part to show where you are wearing out your "chicken stripes". The new groves are supposed to work much better in the wet times too, not much of a issue in my area.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
You'll like it. I just levered on a new front and rear power3 and did a track day on them. Endless grip once warmed up. I cut 10s off my previous lap times at the same track. I'd like to think that it was an increase in my skill and confidence but I know the new tires definitely helped. They are an improvement over the pilot pures I was running last year.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Googled it and it looks like a fun trip. Looking forward to your post with pics. Have a safe and fun trip!

Thanks!

I'm planning on riding the Trans Taiga road this summer. It is an extremely remote gravel road in northern Quebec. This skid plate is actually a rock deflector more than a skid plate. It is attached directly to the exhaust, so I won't be using it to slide over large logs or anything. I built it to protect the oil cooler and filter. It's probably overkill, but I don't want to be stuck several hundred miles from the nearest mechanic with a busted oil cooler.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Learned 2 lessons the hard way today.

1) Red Loctite is permanent unless you heat it up... So getting my sliders back off should be fun.

2) Loctite eats plastic. I thought I would loctite the plastic threads on my flush mounts and checked them this afternoon and it just fell apart.

So I spent most of today tearing down the front end, rewiring my spare set of turn signals, and getting laughed at when I called my dad to ask if red loctite always eats plastic (which is where I learned my lessons for the day)

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Learned 2 lessons the hard way today.

1) Red Loctite is permanent unless you heat it up... So getting my sliders back off should be fun.
How much did you use? All you need is a small drop and you should have no problem with it getting loose or getting things apart later. I've seen people new to wrenching get overzealous and cover the entire bolt with Loctite :spank:.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
You'll like it. I just levered on a new front and rear power3 and did a track day on them. Endless grip once warmed up. I cut 10s off my previous lap times at the same track. I'd like to think that it was an increase in my skill and confidence but I know the new tires definitely helped. They are an improvement over the pilot pures I was running last year.
Good to know:thumbsup:. I don't do track, but I like to know that my tires will take what my little bit of riding skill can push them to.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
How much did you use? All you need is a small drop and you should have no problem with it getting loose or getting things apart later. I've seen people new to wrenching get overzealous and cover the entire bolt with Loctite :spank:.
I used a good bit :-[ I'm learning these things as I go. The good news they wont come off lol.

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Saw her go.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
For 2013 I decided to wrap the race bikes rather than have them painted to save some $ as well as provide some means of easily keeping the bike looking professional if I have an off.

I got started on the tank today...

and the finished product

·
Registered
683 Posts
I went to Barny's in Brooksville to watch some friends buy a 2013 Kawasaki 250 Ninja (still in the crate) and found a Zero Gravity tinted windscreen on their parts sales table. It was marked $30, took it to the sales counter, bought it for $25!

Pretty great day...new bike for them and new windscreen for me. Win!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Replaced my front Pilot Power 2CT with a Pilot Power 3 (still a 2CT). The new version looks like it will be much better. They are more of a slick on the outside of the tire. They also made the outside part stiffer by using a stiffer compound under the softer compound. As a bonus they put some lines on the slick part to show where you are wearing out your "chicken stripes". The new groves are supposed to work much better in the wet times too, not much of a issue in my area.

I just got to see one today for the first time. The look and feel of the tire is great, but I'm a little curious of how the tread will last. I'm due for a new rear soon, so in a few weeks, the Power 3 is what I'm going to order.
My rear isn't terrible now, but the recent rains have shown me that it's not where I need it to be for all the wet weather we are already getting.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
That is one well used SV, Max, and I see your ingenuity is still thriving. Be sure and take many pics for the trip you mention. :icon_biggrin:
WELL LOVED!!! lol. Sure isn't the prettiest bike on the road... But I'm nearly all farkled out at this point... So maybe I'll tackle fixing the broken plastics next! It actually wasn't my ingenuity. I stole the idea from a guy with an SV on advrider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853024

Googled it and it looks like a fun trip. Looking forward to your post with pics. Have a safe and fun trip!
Thanks! It's still not 100% definite that it's going to happen. If I can plan my board exams and the start of my clinical rotations just right, along with allotting some time to take my kids on a short vacation as well, I should be able to squeeze this trip in. My fingers are crossed!

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I changed handlebars. I've been using an SM2, but at 60 years old, my back is wanting relief after 50 miles, so I put the stock bars back on. It feels better, but the handling just isn't the same. It's funny how a bit of positioning and weight distribution can have such a major effect. Not sure what I'm going to stay with long term.

11721 - 11740 of 15863 Posts