Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

6501 - 6520 of 15863 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Installed a Leo Vince slip-on and cobbled parts from an SV1000 blinker to fix mine. The pipe sounds great, not too loud and a deep rumble.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Brought home a new (to me) '05 Nekkid. The roommate decided he needed a project bike and I found a screamin' deal on here.

I'll probably start a thread or something. Weeee.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Replaced my chain that had 19,200 miles on it. I think it could have gone another thousand, but I was nervous about the sticky links. I've had a new chain for 7 months and decided "what the heck".

I used a DID KM501E chain tool. Probably the best designed chain tool on the market. But the design wasn't carried out very well in manufacturing by the Chinese. The pin that breaks the chain is reversible and is used to press the side plate on and rivet the chain. Due to a machining error, the pin would stick in the screw mechanism, so after breaking the chain, I couldn't press the side plate on, nor rivet the chain. Great.

I took the tool to work and chucked the threaded part in a lathe and drilled a 1/8th inch hole through nearly 2" of tool steel. Not easy. I was then able to get the pin out with an 3 TON ARBOR PRESS, using a 1/8th inch steel rod to push the pin out. A ball pien hammer wouldn't budge the pin. Yep, it was stuck, big time. I machined the OD of the pin that had stuck so that it wouldn't stick next time.

I got home tonight and pressed the side plate on and riveted the chain; the process was easy and very neat. Then I found out that the pin is now stuck in the same as before, just the opposite end.

I contacted DID's American headquarters and explained the defects to them. They are sending me replacement unit and asked me to send back the one I got that had problems. They get to try and get the pin out of the screw mechanism.... hope they have an arbor press or better yet, a hydraulic press. To their credit, they are concerned about this problem and will take care of people who have defective units.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dropped off my 03' subframe to get blasted and powdercoated, installed my +1.25 dog bones, looked at my bike in pieces stoked about putting it all back together. ;D

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I took the tool to work and chucked the threaded part in a lathe and drilled a 1/8th inch hole through nearly 2" of tool steel. Not easy. I was then able to get the pin out with an 3 TON ARBOR PRESS, using a 1/8th inch steel rod to push the pin out. A ball pien hammer wouldn't budge the pin. Yep, it was stuck, big time. I machined the OD of the pin that had stuck so that it wouldn't stick next time.
Makes me glad that I have access to a High Speed EDM Drill at work :). Hardened steel is no problem. We us it to blast in load holes for our wire EDM machine and can drill a hole from .006 to .200 in anything that is electrically conductive. Makes it great for removing broken taps.

Installed the wiring for my heated jacket while sweating my arse off in the 80F heat. It will be nice on those 40F morning commutes home though. Also gave the bike it's yearly wash and cleaned and lubed the chain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Installed my new bar end mirrors and tipped the controls down a bit for clearance. They are much better than stock, but I am still not convinced. Looking for stock replacements that are less obtrusive.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Brought home a new (to me) '05 Nekkid. The roommate decided he needed a project bike and I found a screamin' deal on here...
Color?

Finished the final fiberglass and body work on my Twin Shack body work. Need to post pictures. I keep thinking that I will take some, but once I get dirty...I forget;D

Hopefully she will see Primer tonight...then she'll have to make a track debut before she's painted, but at lease she won't be four colors:)

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I put my wheels with the brand new Bridgestone BT-021s back on the bike last night. I might be completely mental, but the new tires felt much more sticky that the stockers just while remounting them.

New "skins" and Kurveygirl 83 degree valve stems.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
It's the standard '05 blue. I should really get around to making a formal introduction thread, but oh well. Obligatory shots:

Loadin' her up in the trusty Nissan

And with its new stablemate

It's not that clean but it will be something fun to wrench on, mod, etc. My roommate technically owns it, but I have already cleaned and lubed the chain. It will need a good wash and destickering before anything else.

Riding them side by side is Eye opening. My bike has stiffer springs/oil, a GSXR shock, stainless lines, and just got fresh oil, plugs, and chain/sprox. It feels so well set-up by comparison.

It's really nice to have your efforts validated like that.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Primered the bodywork....pictures should be posted soon.

Of course I have a feeling I'm going to have to start from square one again. !%#[email protected] flex agent and prime didn't seem to get along very well. Resulting in some not so fabulous adhesion. We'll see of the removal of my track stickers takes it back down to gelcoat :'(

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Dug my bike out of the rubble after an Asian lady at my apartment complex backed into my garage.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
****in Asain drivers!:mad:

Haha love it when the stereotype proves itself.... god d a m n there are sooo many shiddy drivers around these days....

Why the hell don't cities all force someone from out of the State/Province or better yet out of the city... be made to PASS a real driving test or not get a license...

I think too many places just do the written 20 questions and call that good enough...

My city is full of people from other provinces and people who learned in 3rd world countries and haven't had to take a test here other than written... it fuggin sucks when they drive like where they came from rather than how the rules of driving say you should... Morons are everywhere!!!

you live in the usa... sue the shid out of that fugger.. and upgrade the bike ;D

6501 - 6520 of 15863 Posts