Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

4961 - 4980 of 15863 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just to test out the bike (noticed some gasoline under the bike--overflow perhaps?), tried to start it--wanted to see if the carbs were acting funny.

Wow, no go. The bike started to turn over, then I hear a loud *clank* and it refuses to turn over.

I tried again several times, now all I hear is a quieter *clank*, followed by the lights dimming: the starter circuit is obviously charged, but the electric motor isn't moving.

*sigh* Looks like it's time to break out the tools again....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I spent most of the day making a full exhaust for mine . I got the front pipe done, the tailpipe done ,and started on the rear pipe . What a pain in the a$$. I almost felt like giving up and doing the slip on , but the site of the crappy stock header kept me going. Over winter I have many plans for the sv. As long as the money is there.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Installed new kickstand (previous owner cut the original one in half when he lowered the bike), installed rim tape, and TPS mod (down to 2k rpm - I gave up trying to get it lower because it changed every time I tightened it down).

Tomorrow is new brake and clutch levers, brake fluid, and valve adjustment.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Prepped and installed straight brake rotors on my extra set of wheels finally.

I now have a total of 5 pairs of '06/'07 GSXR 310mm rotors. 2 pairs are straight enough, 1 single is also straight enough, 1 single is terrible, and 1 pair is in reasonable condition to use in case of emergency. Next time I need brake rotors, I may forgo the used market of advertised-as-straight rotors and just spend the extra couple hundred and buy new. What a ridiculous hassle!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an '03. I bought it from a guy who had flipped it - it was salvage. Over the last few days we totally stripped it - all I wanted was the motor, electrics and brakes. I am building a SV650 powered Rally Racing sidecar - all street legal too!

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Installed new kickstand (previous owner cut the original one in half when he lowered the bike), installed rim tape, and TPS mod (down to 2k rpm - I gave up trying to get it lower because it changed every time I tightened it down).

Tomorrow is new brake and clutch levers, brake fluid, and valve adjustment.

Yeah I noticed the same thing on my 06.. it became too annoying to get mine any better than about 1800rpm.. but it is good enough for me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Be sure and check the crankcase for gas in the oil, if a float leaked it could
be hydra locked.???
Roger. I had noticed the previous night that the front carb seemed to be gas-wet. Suspiciously, it looked like from a gasket.....

·
Registered
653 Posts
Installed easternbeaver's H4 Headlight relay kit. Makes a noticeable difference with the stock bulb; going to upgrade that too. Took about 15 minutes. Good quality kit.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Got my driven 47T (+2) from UPS yesterday. I got it installed but the chain was still to tight. I made sure it was loosened all the way up. It was. I figured the stock chain would work seeing I went to a 14T in the front (-1). I only have about 5k miles on my bike, looks like I need to do some more riding to stretch that chain a bit.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Lube and tighten chain (2 torque wrenches, you guys got me paranoid) and drained oil to mid way between high and low mark.

·
Registered
368 Posts
cleaned all the horse sh*t off it and polished the rear sets using a drill bit polisher and polished the rest of the bike, then sanded down the header pipe and polished that looks almost like new and thats after 16500miles of british wet weather :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Finally took her out for a ride to test the new wiring. I added some relays and rewired the headlamps direct to the battery similar to the eastern beaver setup. I've added a distribution block under my seat and two lighter sockets under the cowl latch. Tomorrow I'll test it with my phone charger and a cabin light. I'll also put the plastic back on and clean up the wire lacing.

pics will come soon == Alex is being lazy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Installed SW-MOTECH handlebar riser barbacks & Vortex swingarm spools, and tested the rear stand.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I pulled off a worn out rear Michelin 2CT and mounted a Bridgestone BT-016. I cleaned up the sprocket and carrier that gets grungy from chain lube. Cleaned the wheel up and put in Dyna Beads to balance the tire/wheel.

(For newbie tire changers, be sure to line up the colored dot on the tire with the valve stem hole; that helps to match the heavy part of the tire with the lighter part of the rim. This keeps the amount of balancing weights to a minimum.)

The Harbor Freight tire changer (w/ Mojo Blocks) did a great job and saved me a bunch of money.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Installed easternbeaver's H4 Headlight relay kit. Makes a noticeable difference with the stock bulb; going to upgrade that too. Took about 15 minutes. Good quality kit.
hey al, me too. the only comment i can make about the install is that i had to route the wiring out the (rider's) right side of the headlamp housing (naked bike) to pass it thru the right front of the frame, then cross back to the left side in front of the airbox - the more direct route straight out and along the left side doesn't work cuz there are too many other things passing thru the frame on that side, and while it's easy to thread the wires, you can't get the fuse holder thru. the wires are perfect length for this crossover routing. and yah, nice quality. started raining in the afternoon before i got finished, so didn't get to do a test ride this evening. more news at 11...

also tore off front and rear calipers, disassembled, cleaned, re-lubed, replaced rear pads, and reinstalled. then flushed the front and rear brake systems with fresh fluid. i had to replace the rear pads very early (34,000kms), but i ride all year, and i reckon the assembly got badly scuzzed up and started binding, cuz one rear pad was very badly worn and the other barely worn. i took that as a hint to do more regular brake maintenance...

cheers,

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got 8500 miles from my previous Pilot Road, these 2 CT's will hopefully better that.
8500 miles doesn't sound so bad - i just got 8500 KILOMETRES out of a set of Pilot Road 2CT's, pretty much all those miles coming from 'velocity vacationing' (i.e. brisk-paced sport touring on twisty secondary highways). i had hoped for more - got 11,000 km from previous avon storms.

cheers,

4961 - 4980 of 15863 Posts