Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

4441 - 4460 of 15863 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Installed an R6 throttle tube. Took all of 15 minutes even with the mod mentioned in various posts. Easy no-brainer install. Makes me think that a TPS adjustment would be a good idea since the R6 throttle tube will be more touchy at low speed. Haven't ridden it yet.

Installed ProGrip 699 grips. Very squishy feeling and tacky. Not sure how I'll like these. I got too excited about the grips and forgot that I need to install the grip heaters. Duh. There's always tomorrow...

·
Registered
55 Posts
:eek: uh... try nothing or a specific type of glue. I used nothing and it holds fine. Gorilla glue... you're in trouble!
With nothing, the grips were spinning right off... hairspray was the same deal. And when I looked them up, most of the grip glues I found are chemically similar or identical to super glue...

Why would you say that I'm in trouble? The dried excess came off of the bars and the inside of the grip easily enough with a light scraping from an x-acto knife.

Oh my god... the bike isn't going to blow up on me is it??!! That would tick me right off ;)

Seriously though, is there an issue other than a difficult removal?

Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bit the bullet and drained out a bit of the rotella I just put in the other day.

The sight-glass was showing just a little bit over-full. Crap. What a royal pain to have to re-do.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just my .02, but I'm ethically opposed to using any products made out of gorrillas. Just seems wrong, they're only a few dna strands away from being dateable, you know?

As for what I did in the last few days. Installed frame sliders, repainted and vinyl coated the top triple tree, designed, built and painted a custom fender eliminator (turned out nice), replaced all the blinkers with led's (short stalk off the FE and semi flush up front (created spacers to get more clearance from the recessed holes for better vis)) and replaced the cheap fake cf levers (PO had no taste) with decent black alum ones, checked all fluid levels and adjusted all the cabling on my SO's 05 SV650s. She did rimstripes, gave it an oil change and chain cleaning/lube and wash/waxed it. Will get some pics of it up soon.

Still on the agenda is a tankpad (in transit), spools, slipon, tail cover, a custom vinyl stripe down the center of the bike complete with pinstriping, a 1" lowering (parts in transit) and some new rubber (bt-016). She'll need to find a decent tankbag as well. After all that we'll have to get more creative with what to do with it.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I installed grip heaters. The heater part is no big deal, it's doing the wiring and making it look good and/or hiding it. Used a relay picked up by the tail light, separately fused the power switched by the relay.

Lots of time was spent looking for spade and ring connectors. My wife hid the box of that stuff under some paint stuff she used some time ago. Nothing like a little hide and seek with stuff you absolutely have to have to slow things down.

The installation could be done very quickly if slopped together, but a good install takes time.

I'm looking forward to warm hands this fall instead of near frostbite last spring.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
when i installed my grips, the hairspray didn't work either. had to use 3M (love that brand!!) weather-strip adhesive. AWESOME stuff!! :)

I installed my new, blue GSXR front rim a few days ago so I could measure and fabricate a new speedo sensor.
yaay! Can't wait until I can get the matching blue rear rim installed too! ;D

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can say that again! Just flushed the fluid on my 08S and you would have thought the Tokikos were swapped out for 4 piston Brembos. Couldn't believe the difference in responsiveness.

Also installed the atre from Steve. This replaces pulled timing in 1-3 gears. Wow! 2500 rpms has pulling power!

Norm

Got stuck working late.........so........

I pulled the bike inside, bled the brakes and changed out the fluid.

Goodbye and good riddance to wooden spongey brakes!

·
Registered
178 Posts
When I picked up my 08S with 4600 miles in gear at a stop light the bike would pull forward. More so on a down hill. Adjusted the clutch as it engaged right off the grip and changed the oil to Rotella T 15w40. It shifts so smooth now I don't have to use the clutch!

Drink some water unless you have AC in the garage today!

Norm

I've been outside cleaning up the bike, cleaned and lubed the chain and now on to the gear. Then in a little bit I'm going to adjust my clutch so neutral is a little easier to find. It's been finicky lately.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
When I picked up my 08S with 4600 miles in gear at a stop light the bike would pull forward. More so on a down hill. Adjusted the clutch as it engaged right off the grip and changed the oil to Rotella T 15w40. It shifts so smooth now I don't have to use the clutch!

Drink some water unless you have AC in the garage today!

Norm
I tend to ck and adjust the clutch when I change my oil. It so happens a week ago when I did change my oil I let it slip. Oh well it's done now with the help of the handy dandy clutch tool and following the repair manual. According to the manual it should be checked and adjusted at 4K or 6 months. In my case it's around 4k. Rotella is good stuff.

Kool Aid is my beverage of choice today. But now that it's raining, time to move to Land Shark Lager.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I tidied up the wiring a bit on my grip heater install done yesterday and hooked up the Battery Tender pigtail to the battery.

I had a new K&N filter that I never used and installed it until I can get a new OEM filter. The OEM filters do a better job of stopping dirt, from what I've read.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Gave her a good bath and wax, first one since the day before the national rally. Scraped a lot of tar off of the forks, chin fairing and frame. Cleaned and adjusted the chain. Pulled off the passenger pegs and installed the exhaust bracket I bought from Bob_M. Now I can take the factory bracket into work and start working on a proper cast aluminum replacement again.

4441 - 4460 of 15863 Posts