Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

3361 - 3380 of 15863 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
BKK, been down fairchild plenty of times. We are on Lillian, just west of Darrow. Kent Univ. is doing well, Dix stadium just got plenty of remodling upgrades. Let me know if you bring the SV up on the next visit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rode it to work, and back home, then clean it :) Waiting for my Hindle exhaust :p

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Looked at it in the shed. Raining here today in Michigan. Then went back in the house and looked at the parts waiting for it. Bars, grips, and new mirrors.

·
Chief Greeter
27,827 Posts
Removed my warped ABS hugger:

Before

During - cleaned chain

After - much better

Used the bracket that came with the hugger, had to space it out some. I think I will make a new bracket to fix that. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I drove around... and picked up a friend for my SV when it is in the garage

Warning: Attempted illegal thread drift!!!!!!! ;D

That's not an SV. The title of the thread is "What did you do to your SV today". :spank:

Just for that you have to eat some of Newt's bbq that he used Sea Foam on!

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Naaah I said I drove my SV around and picked up a friend for it... so because of that.... it is still on topic :nana:

Warning: Attempted illegal thread drift!!!!!!! ;D

That's not an SV. The title of the thread is "What did you do to your SV today". :spank:

Just for that you have to eat some of Newt's bbq that he used Sea Foam on!

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Today was a "large" maintenance day.

I adjusted the chain and actually figured out how to get the chain alignment right. I had to remove the chain guard and use a stainless ruler (with lines running the entire length) placed on the sprocket and then site the chain line and the ruler and align the two. It's PERFECT now. I think that proper chain alignment is critical to long chain life. Cleaning and lubing is certainly important, but even doing those, but with bad alignment, will fry a chain fast.

I cleaned the chain, too, and noticed in the Suzuki owner's manual that it says to clean the chain with KEROSENE ONLY. That's what I used. I do it every 1,000 miles and it's a nasty job. Next time I need to do it on my neighbor's driveway! ;D Finished the job with Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube.

Then I changed the oil. I noticed that the previous owner had slightly overfilled the crankcase, so I was happy to get fresh oil in and get the level correct. Used dino Rotella. After I use all of it up, I'm going to use Rotella synthetic.

I put some oil on the oil cooler line ends and some engine bolts in the same area that looked like they were beginning to get corroded. They were kind of a weird white chalky color, not like rust. I put the oil on them with an old tooth brush. I'll keep an eye on those areas to make sure they are ok.

Tomorrow I can go out for a nice ride in the twisties. Looks like the weather will be great for commuting to work all week to. Half of my ride to work (and home) is twisty canyon roads.

Things are looking good!

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
I adjusted the chain and actually figured out how to get the chain alignment right. I had to remove the chain guard and use a stainless ruler (with lines running the entire length) placed on the sprocket and then site the chain line and the ruler and align the two. It's PERFECT now. I think that proper chain alignment is critical to long chain life. Cleaning and lubing is certainly important, but even doing those, but with bad alignment, will fry a chain fast.
That's the technique I like best, too - but you don't have to pull the chainguard to do it. Just do it along the bottom instead of the top. I find it easier to check the alignment that way because you can look down on the straightedge against the chain while you do the adjustment.

3361 - 3380 of 15863 Posts