Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my bike could not hold a charge and I was told it was the regulator/rectifier. I took it into the place I bought my bike (local bike shop) and told the guy the problem. I get my bike back a couple days later, he told me he replaced the rectifier and a wire (?). I said cool and he said it was $140, but we split the price 50/50, I didn't like that but I wanted my bike back and running. Well, it wouldnt turn over at chilies last night, got it home and put it on the charger. I road it around for 10 minutes this morning and put it back on the charger and it read 75%, I kept it on the charger and put it to read so I could see what it was doing when I revved and so forth, well, with the front brake rear break, turn signals, lights and everything electrical, the battery would flex under load a good bit. I take the tail section off and find what I *think* is the rectifier he claims he replaced. I just want to be sure that the item in the picture is the regulator/rectifier, if it is then I just paid $70 to get my battery charged. Did I get screwed?

BTW, if I understand correctilly, my bike is a 1st gen and the reg/rec is under the passanger seat, is this it? The black box that looks stock with dust (IE: Not replaced)?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think that's the CDI box. The regulator should be in the tail section, but it will have a heat sink on top of it. I think it's on the right side in the tail...I think, hmm - I can't remember if that's on my 1st gen or second gen...It will have a heat sink though.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found the real culprit

Ok, 750.... interchangeable im assuming. So, would I be better off taking this thing off and back to the guy and asking for my $70 back and going to woods fun center and getting an OEM reg/rec or what? Does the 750 use a different battery, IE the change in syptoms between this setup and the first times it was messing up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i never allow parts from other bikes... even if im told.. they are interchangeable...i think you need to go get your money back and get the real deal...your bike is not a gixxer...the batteries probably are different...but thats just my opinion.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, im going to ask him to

A: Replace the 750 reg/rect with a NEW oem sv650 one
B: Ask for my $70 back and take my business to the next shop.

$140 sounds like the dealer cost on a new reg/rect.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lotsa weird stuff happening here...

I've never heard of a tech offering to "split the cost", and substituting parts or using used parts without your approval is wrong (and illegal, I suspect). If you did approve the use of used parts, 50% of list is the going rate, but that assumes the part is functional (Ron Ayers lists the RR at $140.99, BTW).

All that aside, I think you're overcomplicating the situation. It's not up to you to diagnose and repair the problem -that's what you have already paid the tech to do. It wasn't done, and a reputable shop should make it right for you at the agreed on price (you were given a written estimate, right?).

If they refuse to do this, you should talk to the service manager, business manager, owner, mfr's regional rep, Better Business Bureau etc. Bear in mind that your chances for success may decrease with each level of escalation, especially if you don't have full documentation of your dealings thus far.

:)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I bought my bike from this shop, my dad got his from him too (got a great deal). He did not give me an estimate, he said he would fix it so I said cool. Im tired of not being able to ride, if I can just bring him this damn thing and him give me an OEM on the spot and I replace it and within a matter of minutes back and riding, Id go that way. I just don't want to take him my bike and get it back in another 3 days.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still, you paid for a repair and didn't get it. A reputable shop will want to make it right, especially considering you and your dad have dropped a few thou there. Without knowing all the specifics of your deal -how long ago you bought the bike, what the terms of sale were (i.e. "as is"), et cetera it's hard to say if you got screwed or not.

As far as taking it in and waiting a few days goes -welcome to the world of motorcycles. If you get it back in three days in the middle of prime riding season, you should probably consider yourself lucky. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's the way this business is.

Unless you have the capability to correctly diagnose an RR problem, I wouldn't recommend randomly swapping parts. You may get lucky, but you may replace a perfectly good module for no reason (if that hasn't already happened).

:)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I saw this thread title I thought of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is starts dating his maid and she never cleans, they just have sex.

And hes like "What did I just pay for?"

Anyhoo....hi!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya, Ill prolly slap everything back together and drive it over there. Its just when I get done eating at chillies and ready to leave, turn the keep on and just hear clicking, it really pisses me off that he said "Its fixed" and its doing the exact same thing as it did before. I mean, its a huge inconvenience to be screwing around with.

That night, we jumped the bike and I rode it about 6 miles home, I couldn't let it drop under 6k or the bike would die, I couldn't use the turn signals or the bike would sputter, when I did use the signals-brakes-high beams, the bike would turn off for a second but the engine would still be running. All the guages would turn off then on when I let off the breaks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
How old is your battery - it could be bad also if the r/r was indeed bad and yanking the voltage around all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts