Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...so i managed to break something and i'm not sure what..

I was putting on new grips and while twisting the throttle one on I heard a little snap. The Little black box that the ignition and everything is in rotated some. I stopped and made sure everything was ok. The bike started up without a problem so I went on with the install. The next morning my bike wouldn't start, lights and everything worked, just wont start.

Any ideas on what I may have done or recomendations on where to start before I just start taking things apart?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
What you've broken is the little plastic tab that holds the switchgear in place with the bar. I've done it too :) All I did was put a couple of wraps of masking tape around the bar then refit it, holds it just fine.

I don't see how that would affect the bike starting- is it still turning over on the starter button?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing happens when i hit the ignition. the throttle feels fine. but that black box rotates if you try to move it. is that normal?

N

·
0 Posts
As per Northwind it sounds like you broke the pin on the switch pod, but I think it may not be related to your problem. Over on the other side is a clutch interlock switch. If you look up at the clutch perch from below you''ll see a little black connector -that should be connected to the switch mounted on the perch.

Hope I'm right- it'd be an easy fix!

:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha was wondering how long till someone asked that...yes it is in the on position
next idea before i start taking things apart this weekend?

N

·
0 Posts
Don't be pissed...but are you sure the kill switch is in the "run" position? You wouldn't be the first!

EDIT: dammit! missed it by that much...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no no not pissed, i did check that though
feel free to shoot out anything, i'd love for it to be something like that switch..assuming i find out before i take it apart

N

·
0 Posts
Quick review: all your lights are functioning normally, but the engine won't crank -press the button and nothing happens, no click, grind etc, nothing?

All you did was replace the grips? There was no other maintenance at this time?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is correct...just the grips and it started up fine just after putting them on. lights work, horn works, but nothing at all happens when try to start it. i'm in neutral (light is on), kick stand is up, hand is on the clutch.

N

·
0 Posts
OK. Thanks for the great info, BTW. Have you looked at your fuses yet? Pop the seat off and have a look a fuse #3 "Ignition", a 10A fuse. This supplies (+) for the starter relay and the coils.

If it's blown you should probably pull the throttle side switch pod apart and look for signs of a short on the kill and starter switches, like scorching or soot between the switch and a conductor, probably the bars themselves.

Word of warning, actually two: 1) you'll strip out the screws before you stop the pod from turning, so you should repair, replace or tape the bar as per Northwind. 2) the four screws (two per side) are not interchangeable. They fit in one and only one hole and if you stick it in the wrong hole it'll strip or go through the top of the pod.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Try checking main fuse on starter relay,a green thing under right cover. should be a fuse and a spair in there :) switch them,and try again.

N

·
0 Posts
Well, darn! Sounds like it's time to break out the test light / VOM and have a poke at it. How are your electrical skills?

• 1) Connect test light (- /BLACK) test lead to battery (-).

2) Turn ignition on.

3) Test for 12v at battery to check test light / VOM (touch (+ /RED) test lead to battery (+).
    Test light on?...

4) Test for 12v at ignition fuse (touch (+ /RED) test lead to each side of fuse holder).
    Test light on?...

5a) Test for 12v going in to kill switch (at connector touch (+ /RED) test lead to ORANGE W/ BLACK STRIPE wire).
    Test light on?...

5b) Test for 12v coming out of kill switch /going in to starter switch (at connector touch (+ /RED) test lead to ORANGE W/ WHITE STRIPE wire).
    Test light on?...

5c) Test for 12v coming out of starter switch (with starter switch depressed, at connector touch (+ /RED) test lead to YELLOW W/ GREEN STRIPE wire).
    Test light on?...

6) Test for 12v at clutch lever position switch (with starter switch depressed and clutch lever pulled in, touch (+ /RED) test lead to each side of switch).
    Test light on?...

7a) Test for 12v going in to starter relay (with starter switch depressed and clutch lever pulled in, touch (+ /RED) test lead to YELLOW W/ GREEN STRIPE wire).
    Test light on?...

7b) Test for 12v coming out of starter relay (with starter switch depressed and clutch lever pulled in, touch (+ /RED) test lead to BLACK W/ WHITE STRIPE wire).
    Test light on?...

7c) Connect test light (+ /RED) to battery (+).

7d) Test for continuity between starter relay and ground (at connector touch (- /BLACK) test lead to BLACK W/ WHITE STRIPE wire).
    Test light on?...[/list:u]
    This is a very simplified troubleshooting tree, but it should steer you toward the problem and we can go from there.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
You guys need to focus :lol: It sounds to me like he hurt the actual switch. If he says he broke the tab off it and it rotates I would keep investigating there. Follow that awesome diagnostic. Take apart that switch pod and get in there. I wouldnt be surprised if you tore a wire or broke a contact. You can find these on Ebay every one in a while if you broke it.
ac

·
Registered
722 Posts
So the bike runs, but just won't start?

In my relatively limted experience over the past 5 years on bikes, things often happen coincidentally. As in, gee I broke this tab and now the bike won't start but it is a battery issue or something utterly unrelated to what you had been working on.

I'd check all the connections (as in, are they corroded). My bike periodically will not start. Sometimes it is the clutch switch that has gotten corroded, sometimes the starter switch.

just my .02.

·
Registered
480 Posts
i'm with avc on this one. i'm guessing it's something you did to the switch. you need to take it apart anyway to wrap some tape around the bar, so take a look inside.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'd bump start it, that alone will rule out a bunch of stuff.

From my own personal experience, aside from a bad battery the three most common reasons it won't start:

1. Clutch switch - remove the connector and short the connections. Then pull in the clutch (you can blow your starter fuse if you don't), and try starting it. If it starts, sand the connections and reconnect.

2. Blown starter fuse - pop your front seat off and check the fuse, replace if blown.

3. Bad starter switch - mine is starting to get spotty, usually beating on the pod or hitting the switch hard several times fixes it for me. If that doesn't do it, pop the pod open and jump the switch with a key, or something similar, to see if it'll turn over. If it turns, replace the pod.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts