Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've only been riding for about 3 years, and would consider myself to be a novice-intermediate rider. Not a total beginner, but by no means experienced. Recently I was involved in a single-vehicle accident (of my own causing) wherein I was not paying attention to the turn and ran off the road. I was going the speed limit (45mph), it was a VERY shallow turn (as in I could see all the way through it. Maybe 35degree turn... if that..). Not leaning over hard, not going fast, literally just cruising. I was not paying attention to the road (my eyes were on the scenery of a gorgeous farm with lake and cabin) and when I looked up I was approaching the apex of the turn, on the very outside edge of my lane. By the time I had looked up, it was more or less inevitable that my front wheel was going to run off the edge of the pavement. As luck would have it, this was one of those roads where the shoulder had eroded severely so there was a 2"-3" dropoff from the pavement to the gravel. As soon as I saw where I was heading I pretty much knew I was going down. Sure enough, front wheel nosed off the pavement, complete loss of front traction, lowsided and slid about 60ft.

My question is this. Aside from the obvious "watch where you're going", do you have any tips for ways to recover if your nose edges off the road? I am certain that all of us have (at one point or another) target fixated on either the scenery, or rearview mirrors, or SOMETHING - only to look up and realize we're dangerously close to the edge of the road. In the event that I find myself in that place again, what techniques do you experienced riders recommend as far as recovery goes? I understand that in this particular situation, given the 3" dropoff on the edge of the shoulder, it was highly unlikely that I'd be able to recover at all and the only fix would have been to pay closer attention to the road than the scenery. But what if the shoulder had been flat? I am pretty certain that, given my degree of experience, even if it had been flat and dirt, I would have still lost control. Are there ways to recover from this at all? Any techniques I could practice (including ways to still enjoy the scenery but not target fixate?).

The accident was rough but could have been a lot worse. It was 100% my fault, and now I'm preparing for when I get healed up and can ride again, so that I can come out of this a safer rider

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
Don't just do something, sit there! Let the bike proceed onto the shoulder, don't hit the brakes or throttle, just ride it out.

These accidents usually involve locking one or both wheels. the spinning wheels are gyroscopes to stabilize you. Keep them turning. That prevents most low-sides

Take an MSF course and focus on low speed maneuveability. You'll be amazed how steeplly you can lean the bike and your body (not always in he same direction). Like counter-steering it can be counter-intuitive. The instructors are watching and if you screw up, they'll show you how to do it right.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
steveSLO pretty much said all, if you had room you could have straightened out and just rode it out, avoid brake inputs to prevent wheel lock as long as you can, especially while leaned.

If you caught it earlier enough, you could have pushed harder on the left bar to increase your left lean angle and avoid going off road to begin with. Assuming you were turning left, or right if that was the case. When in doubt in a corner, leaning more will usually save you.

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
Preferable to pull in the clutch as well. Take the MSF course. I made similar mistakes with my first three bikes. It started to get embarassing, so I learned. They didn't have MSF in 1980:naughty:

·
Greetings Program
6,272 Posts
What the others have said - ride it out.

This may go as far as standing up on the pegs to get better control while the bike bounces around a bit under you, to going out and practicing on a gravel road to get a feel for what the bike does on loose surfaces. Once you have a feel for what the bike is going to be doing once it's off the paved surface, it will help you to understand how to keep it upright should something like that ever happen again.

Which, now that you've done it once, you shouldn't ever let yourself get distracted again anyway, right? ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
By the time I had looked up, it was more or less inevitable that my front wheel was going to run off the edge of the pavement.
Maybe it was inevitable, but maybe not. With a smooth throttle hand, these bikes are capable of a lot more lean angle than you may realize. It's possible you could have leaned in more and saved the turn. Anyway, the main thing is you came out OK and lived to ride another day.

·
Registered
197 Posts
What rockrat said IF there is a relatively flat area to try to ride it out. Don't hit brakes, don't chop throttle, Feather rear brake while standing on the pegs. But since it was in a turn and there was a substantial drop off your best course of action would be to not make that kind of mistake in the first place. You have to pay attention at ALL times on a bike.
If you want to look at scenery, stop and look at it.

Mad

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
One more adage for you: "You go where you look".
In a turn, you look at the apex, then you look at the exit.
Then you look at the scenery, which in this case was on the right, right?:naughty:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In this case, I was making a left turn and ended up running wide of the RIGHT side of the road, interestingly enough. But you do raise an excellent point. If you want to admire the scenery, either stop the bike or - if you must - at least wait till you've passed the apex.

Currently looking into Intermediate MSF courses in North Carolina...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Came across this this video. Rider did what I SHOULD have done after realizing I was going to run off road. Just bad luck in this case that there was a giant boulder....

In my case, I think if I had reacted more like the rider I would have just run along the grass on the far side of the shoulder and been totally fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have the time and presence of mind (at the time) of the "Oh ****" moment you can get the bike to lay over and tighten the turn by pressing down on the lower handle bar to counter steer, which I'm sure you're aware of. However, in a moment of panic most will tend to stiffen up both arms. The trick is to relax your other arm so as not to be pushing at all, letting the up side handle bar come back thus making the counter steer technique far more effective. Try practicing this under normal cornering conditions and you'll be amazed at how much your cornering control will improve. If you can't avoid going onto the gravel try to keep the bike as upright as possible until you can get it slowed down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man. That's nuts I had a friend go through something similar but the day ended with him flying 15 feet in the air and ending up in the hospital for the weekend. **** gravel.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get a copy (library or PDF off the web) of Keith Code's TWIST OF THE WRIST Volume 2.:worship:

He covers the 7 deadly rider reactions (and how to train yourself to avoid them), bike handling dynamics, throttle control and lots more.

Primarily for racers, but when things go bad on the street the reactions and dynamics are the same.

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
Get a copy (library or PDF off the web) of Keith Code's TWIST OF THE WRIST Volume 2.:worship:
Primarily for racers, but when things go bad on the street the reactions and dynamics are the same.
Except for the "cars driven in the opposite direction by braille" part. :naughty:

·
Registered
197 Posts
A friend crashed 3 weeks ago. Like you, has ridden a couple years but still basically a novice. In his case, there were 2 turns. A left followed quickly by a right. Sight lines clear through both turns. There is a spring and water is always running across the road here. He was going about 20, behind a car. He , Like most beginners, was looking right in front of his front wheel. Suddenly saw water, tensed up and tapped the brakes. Immediate lowside. He's fine, bike was rideable. First thing he did was blame his new tire. I explained to him how the other 3 of us had gone through the same water at a much faster pace and had no problems. You MUST practice using a High Visual Horizon. He would have seen the water while still in the left turn and could have planned for it.

Mad

·
Registered
771 Posts
You've received some great advice and I'll add my two cents.The SV 650 power-plant has probably the best,"Engine Braking" of any motorcycle I've ridden.

I use this when coming to bends and let the bike and the engine do the work by throttling down and therefore use my brakes less.By getting into this technique you are almost always ready for anything as you are not having to think about last minute extra braking but have it in reserve.You get into the habit of anticipating the bends with this technique.

Also as a general video watch this.Even though I've been riding over forty years it still had something for me :)

HTH :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wrapped my sv around a guard rail at 60 mph, I hit the Apex of a turn, throttled up to hit speed, and was surprised by a downward corkscrew at 90 degrees. I am somehow alive, but my bike has bent forks, and destroyed plastic.ride safe, especially on unfamiliar roads

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
Glad you are OK, sorry about the bike. The lesson for beginners here?
Don't over-drive your sight line, especially on new routes.
I've had some similar surprises over the years, but my SV650A has
done better at rescuing me than any of the previous 21 bikes I've owned.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts