Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
i use wd40 cause its cheap and it comes in a handy can. A rag soaked in kerosene is just as good.

it doesnt take long to get dirty either. It makes me convinced i will never own a bike with white wheels.

oh yeah. make sure you dont spray your brake discs----for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i use a spray bottle of an automotive version of simple green and a medium stiffness brush. i have used kerosene once without any ill effects.

i have found two tricks to keeping the rear rim relatively clean. use a chain lube that doesn't fling all over the place. and clean it every time you wash the bike. (duh.) i used to skip the rear rim once in a while when using motul chain lube and when i did wash it it would be a huge project because it would be so dirty.

but thanks to the black rims of the '05 i can let it slide once in a while if i'm in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I was using a degreaser spray...it did ok, better than soap and water.

tried kerosene once...worked pretty good! not sure if it will affect the finish on the wheel though. anyone else know?

like schultzboy said, it helps to get a high quality low fling chain lube...I use Maxima Chain Wax

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gahdzila said:
tried kerosene once...worked pretty good!  not sure if it will affect the finish on the wheel though.  anyone else know?
I was wondering about this too. I don't want to use anything that is going to affect the finish of the wheel.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
+1 for all of you cleaning you bikes. My SV on the other hand is lucky to see a washrag to clean it. Every stain has a story behind it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
detail tips of the day: simple green OR denatured alcohol. they are same on almost all parts for cars and bikes works very well. and wheel shield is great to use after cleaning

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
a damp cloth and some water...

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Go to the automotive section and get those baby wipe like cleaning things. They work so sweet. Ypou'll be amazed. Armor-All makes some in an orange container and they work good. The best ones I have found though are made by Zep in a blue container. I got them at the dollar store. Can't find them anymore though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
S100 tire cleaner works really well. Just spray on and spray off.

·
Registered
254 Posts
WD40 here.

Used it forever and it hasn't harmed the finish. If you're using Simple Green make sure you rinse it all off. It reacts with aluminum if allowed to sit.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Goop hand cleaner. Non toxic, water soluble, washes off of YOU easier than most other cleaners. I also like the honda brite but when you compare the cost goop wins.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Novadesigns said:
Honda polish and a rag. Stays clean longer too and makes future cleanings easier.
+1, Honda Spray Polish and a rag is all I have used to date on the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts