Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 3,000 cash and I am wanting to buy an sv650s. What condition and year can I expect for this price range. I really like the looks of the 2nd gen better, would I have more luck waiting until spring when the 06' have been out to getting an 03 at that price or am I going to have to settled with a 1st gen or a wrecked 2nd gen.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
For 3k it'll be hard to get a 2nd gen, but you can find great condition first gens for around that price. But if second gen is your thing, don't compromise, just wait 'til spring so you dont end up kicking yourself.

·
Registered
449 Posts
no one just "settles" for a first gen. :mad:

you can get an awesome bike for 3K. Super clean unmodded, or slightly used modded.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you got three 3K cash, put it down on a new SV and finance the rest.

Get a loan for a couple thousand dollars, get a '03 and use the rest on some decent gear and/or mods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I paid $2800 for my 00' last october, bone stock, 6600 miles and the dealer threw in a set of tires. Needlees to say I was happy and I'm still really happy with it. I would have rather had an SVS for the looks but oh well. I've got 10,600 miles on it now and havent had a problem with it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
TotalBlackout said:
If you got three 3K cash, put it down on a new SV and finance the rest.

Get a loan for a couple thousand dollars, get a '03 and use the rest on some decent gear and/or mods.
Personally, I think you are better off just getting something less than $3k. You won't have payments to worry about and you can still get a great bike. I have a 1st gen, so I'm biased, but I find it funny that so many people think the 2nd gens are that much better. The biggest thing that needed improvement with the 1st gen was suspension and it's no better in the 2nd gen.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else what's better, but I think you would be just as happy with a 02 or older and save yourself some money and headache. Most important thing is you are out riding and having fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't knocking on the 1st gen, I think they are great bikes. I just prefer the looks of the 2nd gen. I would actually rather have carbs instead of the FI, but the 03' silver or rust both look so sweet in my opinion.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just got an 01 SV650S with 2000 miles for 3,400 which I thought was a good deal, the bike has some very minimal damage but other then that is like new, just gives you sort of an idea. Im sure if you looked you could find an SVS for closer to 3 with around 10k miles. I like aspects of both gens, I really wish you could somehow mold the old style frame with the newer looking plastics or slightly alter the first gens, but hey, both are really awesome bikes, I love mine, cant get enough of it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
drbuff123 said:
I wasn't knocking on the 1st gen, I think they are great bikes.  I just prefer the looks of the 2nd gen.  I would actually rather have carbs instead of the FI, but the 03' silver or rust both look so sweet in my opinion.
Wasn't really directed to you. It was an uncontrollable momentary lash out. Just read a lot of comments on the forum here and there knocking the 1st Gens. They are both great bikes and I'm sure you would be happy with either. It is a matter of preference and the 2nd Gens have a smidgen more power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts